What is the word I'm looking for? Can anyone figure this out?

FearoftheNight

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2003
So my friend is learning English as a second language. He's asking me how to what the word is for "something that he intended to do" or "something he intended and now is probably not going to do"...I'm stumped....anyone?

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
1. What makes him think such a word exists?
2. Have you considered joining him in the class? "He's asking me how to what the word is for..." (just kidding - I'm sure there was some early morning editing involved in that. :) )

Vegitto

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
As far as I know, the English language doesn't have such a word. What nationality is your friend?

DeeKnow

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by: allisolm
2. Have you considered joining him in the class? "He's asking me how to what the word is for..." (just kidding - I'm sure there was some early morning editing involved in that. :) )

and what makes you so sure such a word does not exist?

there are words for every godforsaken idea that took Shakespeare's fancy - and that dude thought up a lot of stuff!

Zach

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
I'd use phrases "was going to" and "probably wont". I 'was going to' go to the grocery store. I 'probably wont' get the car washed.

Alternatively, depending on usage, "will" and "wont" might work. Maybe you are making the problem too hard by over analyzing?

letdown427

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2006
Originally posted by: FearoftheNight
So my friend is learning English as a second language. He's asking me how to what the word is for "something that he intended to do" or "something he intended and now is probably not going to do"...I'm stumped....anyone?

Something he intended to do? Plan, intention?

I don't think one word will cover it to be honest.

loic2003

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
I aimed on/intended to/planned on/wanted to/attempted/tried/desired ....... but I /couldn't be bothered/was run over/fell down a hole/hand a wank instead/died/whatever.

All depends on the context.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Originally posted by: DeeKnow
Originally posted by: allisolm
and what makes you so sure such a word does not exist?
Now there's a leap in logic that defies description. :laugh:

richardycc

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
your friend is not looking for the word "procrastinate", is he? its close, but not exactly.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: letdown427

Something he intended to do? Plan, intention?

I don't think one word will cover it to be honest.

FTW

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
'Putative' is the closest single word I can think of, but it's not an exact match, by far.

ManyBeers

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2004

itinerary?
punchlist
schedule
dreams

sash1

Diamond Member
Jul 20, 2001
what's his first language? perhaps there is a word in his native language that means this and then we can just get a direct translation of that word?

sinucus

Feb 3, 2004
Originally posted by: sash1
what's his first language? perhaps there is a word in his native language that means this and then we can just get a direct translation of that word?

FTW!

FearoftheNight

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2003
Hehe he's a friend of mine in China who's going for his degree in IT in New Zealand. I was going with "previous intent/intentions" or "former plans". Thought I was too braindead in the AM so maybe you guys could do better. :p