What is the secret to having windshield wiper blades work perfectly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaieye

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
I have installed new blades on different cars plus cleaning the windshield first. They all work like crap even after installing new blades.

Do I have to adjust the tension of the spring? Do I need to use Windex first before I install new blades?

What is your secret?

Help!!!!!!!!

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I've used Rain-X blades and they worked great. Of course they worked best with clean glass but even after I've sprayed some fluid on them with the hood sprayers, they still worked awesome. Don't buy cheap blades would be my only solution. It's not like they're expensive.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Depends on how your windshield is curved. Some wipers are pretty much straight, while some are very concave.

EDIT: Cheap blades have worked best for me.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
You may not be getting the windshield clean. Try a different cleaner like Invisible Glass by Stoner. Also try using a plastic scrubby sponge for dishes. Sometimes those road deposits/tree sap/etc., are difficult to remove.

Tree sap can be on there in very tiny nearly invisible dots. They can be difficult to see, and they make your wipers work very poorly.

Also, clean the blades as well.

Vetterin

Aug 31, 2004
Originally posted by: LTC8K6
You may not be getting the windshield clean. Try a different cleaner like Invisible Glass by Stoner. Also try using a plastic scrubby sponge for dishes. Sometimes those road deposits/tree sap/etc., are difficult to remove.

Tree sap can be on there in very tiny nearly invisible dots. They can be difficult to see, and they make your wipers work very poorly.

+1. No blades will work good if the window is crapped up. I have been using Bon Ami for years to clean my windows with great results. As far as the blades themselves, wipe them down with a cotton ball dipped in alcohol.

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Vetterin

+1. No blades will work good if the window is crapped up. I have been using Bon Ami for years to clean my windows with great results. As far as the blades themselves, wipe them down with a cotton ball dipped in alcohol.

This is excellent advice. Many people buy new blades when this could have the same effect.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
I was about to suggest the alcohol rub, but I see it has already been mentioned. It will work wonders, as will the Bon Ami trick on the glass.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
i am tempted to just get the oem replacement blade inserts from now on. i bought the top of the line bosch micro edge blade for my honda and it is missing some parts of the windshield. they started getting better as they aged though, i guess they started to "curve" more to the windshield.

mooseracing

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2006
Originally posted by: evident
they started getting better as they aged though, i guess they started to "curve" more to the windshield.

They are also wearing into the windsheild.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Kaieye
I have installed new blades on different cars plus cleaning the windshield first. They all work like crap even after installing new blades.

Do I have to adjust the tension of the spring? Do I need to use Windex first before I install new blades?

What is your secret?

Help!!!!!!!!
If you're just replacing the rubber inserts, then 'yes' it could well be time for a new blade assembly. Or maybe you could just oil the joints so it flexes freely.

Jahee

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2006
Originally posted by: Vetterin

Or vinegar..

rezinn

Platinum Member
Mar 30, 2004
Or water.

Whenever I fill up, I clean my windshield and wipe the wipers blades with a damp paper towel. The key is to have clean glass and clean blades. Usually people don't clear their blades - but junk does get stuck on them.

Tommouse

Feb 29, 2004
This might be a bit extreme, but clay baring your windshield might help. It helps to remove all the tiny tiny contaminants that (if they get bad enough) could prevent the blades from making a nice flush connection with the glass.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: RU482
I always wax the glass when I wax the rest of the car

I've always heard that it's recommeneded but never did it. I've claybared my glass before.

Status
Not open for further replies.