What is the saying "never throw caution to the wind" about?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chiboy

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2002
My fortune cookie has intrigued me at 7am, what does this saying mean?

Azraele

Elite Member
Nov 5, 2000
Throwing caution to the wind means just what it sounds like, completely disregarding caution in favor of an action. For example, plunging into a busy street without looking would be throwing caution to the wind. Your fortune is advising you not to do such things. :)

Mar 11, 2004
It's a play on a popular saying, and I believe the phrase "throw caution to the wind" is just as popular. One says be careful, the other says don't be.

Beaten to the punch.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?dict=CALD&key=82817

"Definition
throw caution to the wind/winds
to do something without worrying about the risk or negative results "

http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/53/messages/427.html

" : meaning of "throwing caution to the wind"

: If you throw something "to the wind", you are decisively jettisoning it - tossing it away, letting the wind take it and blow it right away out of reach of recovery. (Imagine throwing away a letter, for example.) So if you throw caution to the wind, you are abandoning it completely, knowing that from now on you will have to act boldly - you can't go back to a cautious policy. (VSD)

Throwing caution to the wind does not always have to be quite so all-encompassing and irrevocable as you might infer from Victoria's enthusiastic account. You can throw caution to the wind in terms of some single act, and you can use it humorously. "I'm going to throw caution to the wind and guess that you feel like hell today." More seriously, "John threw caution to the wind and told the boss off today." "Amy threw caution to the wind and told George she loved him." "She did it again the next day, when she bought that dress she couldn't afford." "The general threw caution to the wind and put his ragtag troops, some without shoes, onto rowboats, to cross the Delaware River in the dark of the night in midwinter to try to storm the well-trained Hessian mercenaries as they celebrated in their barracks on Christmas night."

I believe that some people prefer to use wind in the plural, and throw their caution to the winds."

Status
Not open for further replies.