Question What is the recommended software to backup a Windows 10 PC?

tablespoon

Jun 21, 2022
Hello, what is the recommended software to backup a Windows PC?

How are those included Backup and Restore as well as File History programs within Windows 10?

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
External drive, not cloud.
Cloning a disk with Macrium Reflect 8

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
Here is info in this thread:

Reactions: tablespoon

tablespoon

Jun 21, 2022
On the internet, most people suggested using the imaging approach for backup and the cloning approach for upgrading the internal main drive.
Why not cloning as frequent as imaging? It requires one less disk, no rescue media and faster by just swapping the internal NVMe of the PC.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
On the internet, most people suggested using the imaging approach for backup and the cloning approach for upgrading the internal main drive.
Why not cloning as frequent as imaging? It requires one less disk, no rescue media and faster by just swapping the internal NVMe of the PC.

Imaging requires less disk space. Cloning requires two disks, the original and the clone.
Imaging requires the original, and a second disk that can hold images from SEVERAL systems.
Imaging uses less disks. I like to backup the images too though. So with two external drives I can store and backup images for all my immedite families systems.

BTW, Windows install media can also be used as a rescue disk.

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
Another way to save disk space is to just do a files and folders backup. There is no pressing need to image your entire disk since it is easy to re-install windows and your apps. You really just need to back up your data.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
Another way to save disk space is to just do a files and folders backup. There is no pressing need to image your entire disk since it is easy to re-install windows and your apps. You really just need to back up your data.

It takes me a couple days to install Windows, all my software, and customise/tweak it just the way I like. It takes 5 minutes to re-image that custom install, should a drive fail.

I also back up files weekly or more, but they are not on the OS disk.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
There's a program called Syncback that I've used on XP machines. I have it setup on my dad's computer to backup his data to external drives. Upon quick search I did find it, but not sure if this is the legit site or not. Maybe someone can confirm whether or not it's legit.

For imaging I like to use Acronis, it's not free but also not that expensive, so it's well worth just paying for it imo. Just need to create the boot CD then you can image any machine. I tend to image a machine a month or two into a fresh install that way I have the system running the way I want. From there I just do file level backups. The image is good if your entire OS conks out, it's faster than reinstalling everything again.

tablespoon

Jun 21, 2022
Imaging requires less disk space. Cloning requires two disks, the original and the clone.
Imaging requires the original, and a second disk that can hold images from SEVERAL systems.
Imaging uses less disks. I like to backup the images too though. So with two external drives I can store and backup images for all my immedite families systems.

BTW, Windows install media can also be used as a rescue disk.

So the main advantage in using the imaging approach is that it saves space?
If I have a dedicated 2TB NVMe SSD for an internal 2TB NVMe SSD, the cloning approach is also fine as long as I clone as frequent as if I were doing to imaging?

tablespoon

Jun 21, 2022

That is what I did in the past. The main problem is that the date and time of the files in the backup media are changed to those when the backup was done. I want to keep the original file/folder creation date and time. Is there a good way to do it under Windows 10?

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
So the main advantage in using the imaging approach is that it saves space?
If I have a dedicated 2TB NVMe SSD for an internal 2TB NVMe SSD, the cloning approach is also fine as long as I clone as frequent as if I were doing to imaging?

No, the main advantage of imaging is that it's quicker, and less hassle. It's also built into Windows, and requires no extra software.
I image bout every two months, I backup files more often.

If you have two drives in the system, you can backup/sync files automatically with free software.

tablespoon

Jun 21, 2022
No, the main advantage of imaging is that it's quicker, and less hassle. It's also built into Windows, and requires no extra software.
I image bout every two months, I backup files more often.

If you have two drives in the system, you can backup/sync files automatically with free software.

Which Windows built-in imaging app are you talking about?