What is the reason for the fact that used WW Passats are so cheap ?

adlep

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2001
What would be the reason for the fact that I can buy 98-00 Passat so cheap?
They are priced about 3/4 cheaper than Accords...
What is up with that?
Do they have a terrible reliablility record?
Edit: They actually look very nice.. :eek:

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: adlep
What would be the reason for the fact that I can buy 98-00 Passat so cheap?
They are priced about 3/4 cheaper than Accords...
What is up with that?
Do they have a terrible reliablility record?
Edit: They actually look very nice.. :eek:

Because they arent as popular. No, reliability is great, since they are built in Germany (unlike the Jetta).

Our 99 passat is running really strong, and the 1.8t engine is awesome.

Ikonomi

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2003
Very few cars will hold value like the Accord or Camry. They're extremely popular.

adlep

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2001
Because they arent as popular. No, reliability is great, since they are built in Germany (unlike the Jetta).

Our 99 passat is running really strong, and the 1.8t engine is awesome.
Ugghh...
I am soo tempted right now..
Really?
So far I have seen 3 cars where owners mentioned something about new "turbo"..
Whats up with that?
I mean it is NOT A timing belt, something like that is not a routine maintenance...:Q
Edit: Link to my search

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
When did VW quality go down the crapper? Was it around 2000? Is a 98 any good? I know that the late model jettas and golfs are utter garbage, but did passat totally avoid VW's documented abuse of quality during this period?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
but did passat totally avoid VW's documented abuse of quality during this period?
No...
Bummer #1
It is a nice car; but it just breaks a lot :-(
Darn, cause it could really fit the bill for me. I know that the higher engine passats are pretty nice cars, and priced right as well. Seems a little more fun than a 98 altima :(

If you have the time check out the consumer reviews at edmunds.com. I bet you can get a good feel for its quality from reviewers there.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Skoorb
When did VW quality go down the crapper? Was it around 2000? Is a 98 any good? I know that the late model jettas and golfs are utter garbage, but did passat totally avoid VW's documented abuse of quality during this period?

I personally vouch for the craptacular cars VW made in the late 80s and early 90s.

adlep

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2001
Used passat would be nice.....
I know how you feel, but please do A LOT of research before jumping on it...
They are cheap for a reason...
Regards,
Adam

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Used passat would be nice.....
I know how you feel, but please do A LOT of research before jumping on it...
They are cheap for a reason...
Regards,
Adam

Wow.

And to the person who listed them still as a bummer, besides the timing belt, which I consider routine maintenance, the MAF hasnt given us any trouble at all, and neither has the ignition. Maybe we have been lucky, I don't know. Also, ours is a manual, so that may make a difference when it comes to some people claiming a problem there.

Also, MSN Autos list the 1999 Accord with more problems than the Passat, so what's the deal?

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Er... I don't know about you guys, but I've always known VW was crap. Back in the day, my dad had 2 VWs, one to drive, and one to work on, because one was always busted. That's VW is the little bitch of European autos. I'd rather have a Saab than a VW.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: Nebor
Er... I don't know about you guys, but I've always known VW was crap. Back in the day, my dad had 2 VWs, one to drive, and one to work on, because one was always busted. That's VW is the little bitch of European autos. I'd rather have a Saab than a VW.

I would too..but Saabs are much more expensive. And..back in the day, sure, but the B5 Passat is a pretty reliable car. \

Club B5

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
slow, uncomfortable, loud, bad ride, classic VW electical system (i.e. wired by a chimpanzee with tin foil and rubber bands). they look nice from the outside, but that's about all they have going for them.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: thomsbrain
slow, uncomfortable, loud, bad ride, classic VW electical system (i.e. wired by a chimpanzee with tin foil and rubber bands). they look nice from the outside, but that's about all they have going for them.

Slow and uncomfortable? Loud? Bad ride? What kind of passat were YOU driving?

adlep

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2001
Bump...
Excelsior, it is nothing personal. The Passat is a very nice vehicle.

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Nebor

Why would he have bought a second one if the first one was so bad?

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
I have a 99 Passat GLX (v6). It's been flawless.

And Thomsbrain has his head up his ass. The Passat has a great ride, a quiet rattle free interior and is plenty quick for what it is.

And my car has been as stable as a rock. No problems whatsoever.