What is the point of bringing more immigrants who will need financial assistance?

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
We have tons of people already here in the US who need welfare,food stamps,housing,medicaid and more.

So if we have our own folks who are in need of help, why then import people who are in the same boat in other countries here to the US? Why not keep the problem locally in those countries they will need to figure it out while we try and figure out our issues here.

All you do is end up causing overcrowding in our shelters,schools,etc, bring in even more costs which means less to go around etc?

I understand bringing in immigrants with skill sets who would actually be a net positive but why bring in those who do not have the means when we have enough in our own backyard who need the limited funds/aid available already.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
You mean like all of the Somali's that have been brought to Lewiston, ME? And helping revive the town and state? Oh, the lowest crime rate of any city in Maine.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
I dont think we are actually bringing in that many immigrants, plus most legal immigrants require sponsors to maintain their legal status. Most of the legal immigrants that come into this country come in through family reunification clause of the 1965 immigration act. If you close that loophole, plus require employers to use everify, pretty much nobody would be complaining about immigration. Problem is neither of these things will ever get done due to both parties wanting more immigration for different reasons.

Reactions: FrankRamiro

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
You mean like all of the Somali's that have been brought to Lewiston, ME? And helping revive the town and state? Oh, the lowest crime rate of any city in Maine.

Did they come with some kind of prior finance and some kind of skill/trade? I already stated, the issue is not those who come and offer some value to a community it is the ones who come and have nothing to offer.

An example would be what Germany/France are doing, we seem to do it on a much smaller scale(significantly smaller) although we did dodge a bullet now that Trump got elected.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Did they come with some kind of prior finance and some kind of skill/trade? I already stated, the issue is not those who come and offer some value to a community it is the ones who come and have nothing to offer.

An example would be what Germany/France are doing, we seem to do it on a much smaller scale(significantly smaller) although we did dodge a bullet now that Trump got elected.
They were Somali's. I doubt they came with a bank account. Many of the immigrants who come with specialized skills such as medical training are locked out of those professions here due to education requirements that are different from their home countries. Groups like the somali's are successful because the community is heavily involved in integrating them and helping them get started. You know communities that aren't afraid of newcomers. Doesn't sound like the kind of community you would fit into though.

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
They were Somali's. I doubt they came with a bank account. Many of the immigrants who come with specialized skills such as medical training are locked out of those professions here due to education requirements that are different from their home countries. Groups like the somali's are successful because the community is heavily involved in integrating them and helping them get started. You know communities that aren't afraid of newcomers. Doesn't sound like the kind of community you would fit into though.

So what you are saying is they come here wanting to work with a work ethic, some obvious skills and the somalis help themselves to insure success.

Wow too bad African Americans cannot learn from the Somalis in regards to the community working together to lift eachother up and become productive citizens.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005

Maybe some but escaping civil war and genocide. Nothing to offer? They can't come here, educated themselves, give back and have a better life? You don't know American history do you?

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
While I haven't met many I have never seen an immigrant that sat around asking for handouts or didn't work harder than I ever would. Working in construction in Texas I see tons of both legal and illegal immigrants and every single one will work seven days a week if there is work available. Generally these people came here looking for a better life and are willing to put everything into getting that life. Historically I believe this has always been the case. It is once you get to about the 3rd generation that the work ethic deteriorates in my experience.

Reactions: chucky2

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Working in construction in Texas I see tons of both legal and illegal immigrants and every single one will work seven days a week if there is work available.
It's sad you think that's a good thing. People being willing to work ridiculous hours and for lesser wages and shittier work conditions than legal citizens will is not a good thing for citizens of a first world country.

No more than it is for union labor to look the other way while a scab crosses the line and accepts work for less than the scale everyone else negotiated for (at much blood and toil) .

People need to wake up and start to see their nation as akin to a union. (Well actually it is a union, but I mean labor union as well).

If you're going to allow just anyone to cross 'the line' and work for any wage or shitty condition, then people FORFEIT any right to then later whine "where did all the good jobs go!!!??? Everything is low pay and 7 days a week from sun up to sunset?!!! Wahhh!"

Hey... if that's the low bar we allow to be set for us...

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
It's sad you think that's a good thing. People being willing to work ridiculous hours and for lesser wages and shittier work conditions than legal citizens will is not a good thing for citizens of a first world country.

No more than it is for union labor to look the other way while a scab crosses the line and accepts work for less than the scale everyone else negotiated for (at much blood and toil) .

People need to wake up and start to see their nation as akin to a union. (Well actually it is a union, but I mean labor union as well).

If you're going to allow just anyone to cross 'the line' and work for any wage or shitty condition, then people FORFEIT any right to then later whine "where did all the good jobs go!!!??? Everything is low pay and 7 days a week from sun up to sunset?!!! Wahhh!"

Hey... if that's the low bar we allow to be set for us...

I don't think I said anything about wages. I was speaking specifically to their work ethic and I was talking about all immigrants not just the illegal ones. One of my guys is a legal green card carrying immigrant, works every chance he gets and definitely isn't getting lesser wages. In fact he gets paid more than the standard simply because he is so reliable.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
I don't think I said anything about wages. I was speaking specifically to their work ethic and I was talking about all immigrants not just the illegal ones. One of my guys is a legal green card carrying immigrant, works every chance he gets and definitely isn't getting lesser wages. In fact he gets paid more than the standard simply because he is so reliable.
And you're falling into the typical trap set up by greedy employers who exploit this.

There is NOTHING WRONG with the work ethic of a legal citizen who doesn't want to work 7 fucking days a week, taking on any and every job.

There is NOTHING noble about US businesses exploiting people who will work ridiculous conditions (and yes, sorry, often at lesser wages) and holding it up as "see what a great worker this is and what a turd you are!? You and your lazy 5 day week! Time off! Not dropping dead at 40! Pfffft!"

The sooner people realize that's a crock of shit when its being done using illegal labor (and in many cases exploited legal labor) the better.

But like I said people will go on with the myth nothing can be done without someone brought in under an exploitive condition willing to do all those things citizens won't.

...and in the next breath complain about nothing but shit jobs left.

Reactions: AnonymouseUser

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
And you're falling into the typical trap set up by greedy employers who exploit this.

There is NOTHING WRONG with the work ethic of a legal citizen who doesn't want to work 7 fucking days a week, taking on any and every job.

There is NOTHING noble about US businesses exploiting people who will work ridiculous conditions (and yes, sorry, often at lesser wages) and holding it up as "see what a great worker this is and what a turd you are!? You and your lazy 5 day week! Time off! Not dropping dead at 40! Pfffft!"

The sooner people realize that's a crock of shit when its being done using illegal labor (and in many cases exploited legal labor) the better.

But like I said people will go on with the myth nothing can be done without someone brought in under an exploitive condition willing to do all those things citizens won't.

How does it make you feel when your party's flag-bearer only blames them mexicans to appeal to the Anonymouse User types?

Reactions: AnonymouseUser

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
We have tons of people already here in the US who need welfare,food stamps,housing,medicaid and more.

So if we have our own folks who are in need of help, why then import people who are in the same boat in other countries here to the US? Why not keep the problem locally in those countries they will need to figure it out while we try and figure out our issues here.

All you do is end up causing overcrowding in our shelters,schools,etc, bring in even more costs which means less to go around etc?

I understand bringing in immigrants with skill sets who would actually be a net positive but why bring in those who do not have the means when we have enough in our own backyard who need the limited funds/aid available already.
It has been shown that
1) immigrants complement workers in a native country. Ie fill jobs that natives tend not to fill. Like janitorial stuff. Oh yeah and being doctors.
2) immigrants are highly entrepreneurial. Entirely new industries are started because an immigrant saw a niche and filled it. You like Chinese food right? That is a huge industry started by immigrants. Or you like google right? Started by an immigrant. Ebay? Kohls? Dupont? kraft? Pfizer? Immigrants. And we're not even talking about industries started by children of immigrants.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011

Greedy employers who pay extra to people who go above the expected? This sounds like union speak and is part of the reason I don't like unions. I'm done with this line of conversation. Also we have exactly one immigrant, the other 30 are regular citizens several of whom also go above expectations so it's not like we are discriminating here.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Most Americans are on some form of financial assistance from the gov't. The focus on immigrants is, well, more than just odd. It's transparent.

Of course, that's to say nothing of the fact that immigrants are a large net economic benefit to the U.S. economy. Very few economists argue otherwise because the data and common sense all point in the same direction.

Roflmouth

Golden Member
Oct 5, 2015

So that Democrats, after pissing off taxpayers and the other useful members of society, have somebody to vote for them.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
If you listen to the Republicans, we seem to have enough money for trillions in tax cuts for the rich, and continuation of Medicare's blank check to big pharma, and more defense spending, and more infrastructure spending in Trump supporting areas, so there is no shortage of money for welfare for BOTH Americans and immigrants. Welfare spending is a pittance in comparison.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
If you really feel that way, swear off Google right now. Swear it off. You don't like immigrants. Stop using their products.
he should probably swear off Anandtech too, BOTH of Anand's parents are immigrants, FROM DIFFERENT COUNTRIES EVEN!!! I bet he doesnt approve of that either!

Reactions: Capt Caveman