What is the number you pro war folks are comfortable with?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Good point from phillyTIM. Are any deaths acceptable when the war is based on lies?
Originally posted by: phillyTIM
I'm uncomfortable with a "1" single, solitary death of our troops when this war has been a sham all along, a lie from our fraud president bush.

That 1 death is 100% totally unacceptable over a lie.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Interesting thought from Konigin. Does the number really matter? Why or why not? Good opportunity for on-topic discussion.
Originally posted by: Konigin
In the end, the number doesn't really matter. As little as possible is great, but people are always going to keep fighting and dying for what they believe in.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
The thread was pretty much shot after the post above, but XZeroII did manage to slip in an on-topic comment, followed by an on-topic question from BOBDN. Both are below:
Originally posted by: BOBDN
Originally posted by: XZeroII
Zero

What, do you think we like watching people get killed? No.

Then how can you support the Bush administration's unnecessary war in Iraq that's killing them?

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Bowfinger, I'm sorry but you are a fvcking spin doctor. Let Bob crash in flames since he thinks he can open his big mouth and call our soldiers worthless. All you are doing is trying to sidetrack the real purpose of this thread.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
The thread was completely disrupted by a long string of smarmy personal attacks against BOBDN by KK. Finally, Regs bravely stepped up to the plate and tried to get on-topic. His basic premise is wrong -- there is no connection between Iraq and 9/11 -- but it's an insightful question in general. Rchiu offered an on-topic response. Both are below:
Originally posted by: rchiu
Originally posted by: Regs
My Question for you Zebo is this:

How many more innocents have to die from terrorist acts before this nation actually agrees to go to war?

I think it took how many.... 3,000 ? It took 3,000 , including woman & children, to start war in Afghani. Must they keep showing couples jumping out from a burning building 100 stories high to burn that into your thick head?

When I woke up Sept. 11, the only thing that kept me from joining the Armed Forces was my family. If my job helps secure more innocents lives in the future, then there is no better way of dieing.

This country was born by men willing to die for the cause and will survive by men willing to die for the cause. And that cause is not Bush. Jr with his idiotic political practices.

That's a good response. I agree with you that you need to do whatever it takes to protect your country and your family.

However, have you stop to think if the action you take really protects your country? There is no doubt that if terrorism can be solve by eliminating every terrorist out there, we should go out and take care of them. But is the problem that simple? You seems to be an intelligent man. You should see that those terrorist are either brain washed into taking those dramatic actions or they have strong belief in what they are doing. Will simply going out and waging a war kill the idealogy or re-enforce it? Have American done anything to reverse our image of anti Muslim, pro Israel and interest in only our interest?

What if, all those money and life spent on waging a war against Iraq was not only unnecessary, but in fact created more hatred against American in the Middle East. Do you think it is still a worthy cause? Would you still jump at the first chance to go there and create more hatred?

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
One final comment from Regs. I probably missed one or two, but that's most of the on-topic posts in this thread.

UQ, you don't have to thank me. I know you appreciate getting the on-topic content together so you can contribute to your favorite thread without wading through all the flames and childish personal attacks.

Originally posted by: Regs
I understand Sept. 11 doesn't give us a license to start war where ever or when ever we please, but I do not want to get into a political debate over such an appalling topic.

I think it was cheap shot by Zebo to try to insult the Bush Administration. When himself does not give two sh*ts about human life, except for his own, he insults the armed forces by asking how many of them have to die as a example.

Armed forces have their own duties, they have their casualties of war. So do DWI drivers have their own casualties.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Holy fvck you are an biased. Do you miss the fact that BOBDN started that drivel about our armed forces being drivel when THREE of them were actively posting in the thread?

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
The thread was completely disrupted by a long string of smarmy personal attacks against BOBDN by KK.

What is that some kind of joke? I suggest you go back and read it again. This thread got way off track but the one thing it did accomplish is prove what hypocritical pieces of garbage certain people were always suspected of being.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Millennium
Bowfinger, I'm sorry but you are a fvcking spin doctor. Let Bob crash in flames since he thinks he can open his big mouth and call our soldiers worthless. All you are doing is trying to sidetrack the real purpose of this thread.

Beg your pardon? The purpose of this thread is discussing an acceptable death toll for the Iraqi invasion. It might even prompt a meaningful philosophical discussion of the hard decisions one has to make about war -- when is it justified, what level of greater good justifies what level of casualties, etc. It is an important and timely topic, we are killing more Americans and Iraqis every day.

If all you and UQ want is a bash-BOBDN thread, then I have two suggestions:

1. Grow up . . . or . . .

2. If you can't manage #1, then start your own thread in OT, because it doesn't belong in this thread, and it doesn't belong in Politics & News.

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
If all you and UQ want is a bash-BOBDN thread, then I have two suggestions:

1. Grow up . . . or . . .

2. If you can't manage #1, then start your own thread in OT, because it doesn't belong in this thread, and it doesn't belong in Politics & News.

I have a suggestion for you Bow. Quit defending your buddy B.O.B.DN. You hadn't been in this thread in over a week, couldn't have cared less about it and now suddenly you're all concerned that it's "off-topic". Give me a friggin' break. Your buddy is going to have this thrown in his face as long as he is here. He's gonna have to deal with it and so are you. Get over it.