What is the number you pro war folks are comfortable with?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
Time to bump my favorite thread.

B.O.B.DN. said:
phillyTIM

These morons all believe if you aren't stupid enough to have to join up to make a living you aren't a "real" American.

Their only real asset is the ease with which they're brainwashed. Makes them all perfect candidates to become grunts.

They need the "structure" of military life. They need someone to tell them how exactly to do everything. They don't possess the mental faculties to figure it out on their own.

Now that their brainwashing is complete they think they've made some "contribution."

The only contribution made was us contributing our tax dollars to keep these dullards employed until they could be taught how to march in a straight line.

I wasn't a drain on US taxpayers like some here admit to being. I paid my own way. I didn't have to join up and claim I was making some contribution while getting an education that amounted to welfare.

Your conclusions are all BS because you're all BS. You loser.

Brainwashed delusional jar heads.

Any of you volunteer your time? No? What a surprise.

None of you were conscripted. You chose to join. You were all paid.

Now you're all American heroes. Uh, huh.

So now all the losers who weren't capable of getting a real job and had to join the military (during peace time) are coming out of the woodwork.

The last quote is rather interesting coming from someone who turned 18 in the late 60's while there was a war on and a draft. Very interesting indeed. Does anyone know if draft notices were forwarded to Canadian addresses?

KK - I'd say you were only half right. I'll explain it to you via PM.

308nato

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2002
"Chicago, with a population of 2.9 million, recorded 646 murders last year and 666 in 2001. There have been 384 murders from Jan. 1 to Aug. 22 this year."

Iraq is safer than visiting Chicago. What's the problem?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Ultra Quiet

B.O.B.DN. said:
phillyTIM

These morons all believe if you aren't stupid enough to have to join up to make a living you aren't a "real" American.

Their only real asset is the ease with which they're brainwashed. Makes them all perfect candidates to become grunts.

They need the "structure" of military life. They need someone to tell them how exactly to do everything. They don't possess the mental faculties to figure it out on their own.

Now that their brainwashing is complete they think they've made some "contribution."

The only contribution made was us contributing our tax dollars to keep these dullards employed until they could be taught how to march in a straight line.

I wasn't a drain on US taxpayers like some here admit to being. I paid my own way. I didn't have to join up and claim I was making some contribution while getting an education that amounted to welfare.

So now all the losers who weren't capable of getting a real job and had to join the military (during peace time) are coming out of the woodwork.

The last quote is rather interesting coming from someone who turned 18 in the late 60's while there was a war on and a draft. Very interesting indeed. Does anyone know if draft notices were forwarded to Canadian addresses?

How does this post fit in with the rules for the forum you suggested? I remember being wispered about in kindergarten.

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Originally posted by: Ultra Quiet

B.O.B.DN. said:
phillyTIM

How does this post fit in with the rules for the forum you suggested? I remember being wispered about in kindergarten.

When those are adopted/approved and agreed to by everyone, I will post accordingly. Until then I will dumb my posts down, appeal/ teach to the lowest common denominator and respond as necessary just like always. At least until I get banned.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
".......respond as necessary......."
-----------------------------------------------
For me this is the real issue, the shock point where our train of mechanical thoughts can awake. What is our 'necessary'? Why do I feel like I do. It's a place where a sub man can dive.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
My Question for you Zebo is this:

How many more innocents have to die from terrorist acts before this nation actually agrees to go to war?

I think it took how many.... 3,000 ? It took 3,000 , including woman & children, to start war in Afghani. Must they keep showing couples jumping out from a burning building 100 stories high to burn that into your thick head?

When I woke up Sept. 11, the only thing that kept me from joining the Armed Forces was my family. If my job helps secure more innocents lives in the future, then there is no better way of dieing.

This country was born by men willing to die for the cause and will survive by men willing to die for the cause. And that cause is not Bush. Jr with his idiotic political practices.

rchiu

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Regs
My Question for you Zebo is this:

How many more innocents have to die from terrorist acts before this nation actually agrees to go to war?

I think it took how many.... 3,000 ? It took 3,000 , including woman & children, to start war in Afghani. Must they keep showing couples jumping out from a burning building 100 stories high to burn that into your thick head?

When I woke up Sept. 11, the only thing that kept me from joining the Armed Forces was my family. If my job helps secure more innocents lives in the future, then there is no better way of dieing.

This country was born by men willing to die for the cause and will survive by men willing to die for the cause. And that cause is not Bush. Jr with his idiotic political practices.

That's a good response. I agree with you that you need to do whatever it takes to protect your country and your family.

However, have you stop to think if the action you take really protects your country? There is no doubt that if terrorism can be solve by eliminating every terrorist out there, we should go out and take care of them. But is the problem that simple? You seems to be an intelligent man. You should see that those terrorist are either brain washed into taking those dramatic actions or they have strong belief in what they are doing. Will simply going out and waging a war kill the idealogy or re-enforce it? Have American done anything to reverse our image of anti Muslim, pro Israel and interest in only our interest?

What if, all those money and life spent on waging a war against Iraq was not only unnecessary, but in fact created more hatred against American in the Middle East. Do you think it is still a worthy cause? Would you still jump at the first chance to go there and create more hatred?

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
I understand Sept. 11 doesn't give us a license to start war where ever or when ever we please, but I do not want to get into a political debate over such an appalling topic.

I think it was cheap shot by Zebo to try to insult the Bush Administration. When himself does not give two sh*ts about human life, except for his own, he insults the armed forces by asking how many of them have to die as a example.

Armed forces have their own duties, they have their casualties of war. So do DWI drivers have their own casualties.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
For me this is the real issue, the shock point where our train of mechanical thoughts can awake. What is our 'necessary'? Why do I feel like I do. It's a place where a sub man can dive.

Depends on which ego state is at work to determine 'necessary' in the 'respond' context.

We feel bad when we think we should. Those who should and don't mistake bad for good or necessary. :)

Some feel this is necessary... But it ain't!

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
Let's toss Avagadro's Number in there too = 6.23 X 10 (23)

Zebo might just have a little more than a clue than you think about Armed Forces and Body Count.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: LunarRay

Depends on which ego state is at work to determine 'necessary' in the 'respond' context.

We feel bad when we think we should. Those who should and don't mistake bad for good or necessary. :)

Hey, LR, you know that transactional analysis stuff looks more and more like it makes sense. It sertainly has the advantage of pointion out that we are not really one 'I'. Almost nobody knows that.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: LunarRay

Hey, LR, you know that transactional analysis stuff looks more and more like it makes sense. It sertainly has the advantage of pointion out that we are not really one 'I'. Almost nobody knows that.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
I see at least two of you responded.. :)

There are many 'I' lurking about in our behaviour. Variations on three major themes.. So depending on which one is in control at the moment the thread's questions answers might be different..

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
Time to bump my favorite thread. Again.

B.O.B.DN. said:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
phillyTIM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KK - I'd say you were only half right. I'll explain it to you via PM. Done

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001

B.O.B.DN. said:

phillyTIM

KK - I'd say you were only half right. I'll explain it to you via PM. Done

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
When those are adopted/approved and agreed to by everyone, I will post accordingly. Until then I will dumb my posts down, appeal/ teach to the lowest common denominator and respond as necessary just like always. At least until I get banned.

Spread some sunshine will ya . . .

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001

B.O.B.DN. said:

phillyTIM

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Thanks, UQ. Zebo started this thread with a great question. It could have been a great thread if the YABAs hadn't hijacked it. Let's see if we can get it back on-topic by bumping a few of the better posts.

Like this one:
Originally posted by: rchiu
Originally posted by: TheSnowman
Originally posted by: heartsurgeon
let me get this straight...you want to determine the number of american casualties it takes to "break the will" of the country to wage war in iraq..

let's say your right with the 5000 number..

so any despot can attack/blackmail/threaten/destabilize the U.S., and all they need to do is kill 5000
american troops to get the U.S. to back off..

well sure we can't have that, and Saddam is by all means a despot, but then again Iraq was not doing anything to "attack/blackmail/threaten/destabilize the U.S."; so i don't rightly see how your argument applies to this case.

Exactly, we should rephrase the question. How many people, both American and Iraqi, and how much money are you willing to sacrifice to invade a country that:

1. Does not have the military to threaten us in anyway
2. Does not have the WMD that we fear so much
3. Has done nothing to provoke us
4. Has no proven link to the terrorist group responsible for 911

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Another great question from povertystruck an Zebo:
Originally posted by: Zebo
Originally posted by: povertystruck
Number of iraqis or americans?

Another good question. How many Iraqis killed would be a good number to free those from the "tyranny" of Saddam or Islam? So far estimates are around 6000... Not near the 1 million vietmanese we killed but still signifigant number.

Going in I would have said this is acceptable number based on what Bush told us...now it seems totally a waste..

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
That's two on-topic posts in a row, so it must be time for one of Galt's insipid trolls:
Originally posted by: xxxxxJohnGaltxxxxx
Given that 3600% more people have died in France due to heat (and the inaction of the French government while on vacation), I believe we have a long way to go before the 'Vietnam Quagmire' arguments become validated.