What is the most economical car? (gas, insurance, maintance)

wiredspider

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2001
What kind of car has the best milage(no hybrids), insurance rates, and maintance? Or which car for each category. Probably so many spelling errors in this post...

Viperoni

Lifer
Jan 4, 2000
geo storm is no hybrid... it came in 1.6 and 1.8L 4 bangers with 3 speed auto's or 5 speed manual's from roughly 89 to 94.

NeoPTLD

Platinum Member
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Kroze
geo storm! no.

anything that have less than 4 cylinder

Such as Geo Metro, but I hear the collision coverage on it is rather expensive, because a small accident can easily total it.

sMiLeYz

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2003
Toyota Prius! I have one I love this thing! It's no speed demon, but it gets around, and the $$$ I save on gas... oh man.

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002
Originally posted by: NeoPTLD
Originally posted by: Kroze
geo storm! no.

anything that have less than 4 cylinder

Such as Geo Metro, but I hear the collision coverage on it is rather expensive, because a small accident can easily total it.

How the heck gets Collision on a Geo Metro. You get in an accident in that and you will be dead so why do you need a new car?

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: johngute
honda civic or toyota corolla

/end of thread

well, the corolla more so than the civic. Corolla uses a timing chain instead of a belt.

Freejack2

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
Nobody knows. You're best bet is to look on car sites that list mpg, maintenance costs, and average insurance costs.

wasssup

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2000
Originally posted by: OS
well, the corolla more so than the civic. Corolla uses a timing chain instead of a belt.

but the corolla only comes as a bland sedan...the civic comes in a bland sedan and a better looking coupe. Of course, insurance is a little higher for coupes (at least with my insurance company)

NeoPTLD

Platinum Member
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: nick1985
geo metro with a spoiler and nice rims

Is that still economical after considering police attention and remifications from getting tickets and being reported to insurance company?

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
I'd say Honda Civic HX, except that there is no ABS available on that model, so you can't get an ABS discount if your insurance company offers one. The latest generation (2001 and up) does get excellent crash test results, so it's quite safe as far as small cars go.

The HX is not a hybrid, but it uses the same type of lean-burn VTEC-E system as the hybrid models, so it gets significantly better mileage than the DX/LX and EX models. Performance of the HX is on par with DX/LX models IMO.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
Originally posted by: NeoPTLD
Originally posted by: nick1985
geo metro with a spoiler and nice rims

Is that still economical after considering police attention and remifications from getting tickets and being reported to insurance company?

your sarcasm detector is broken. :(

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Originally posted by: NutBucket
I say Prism.

yeah baby..i own a 2002 prizm. unfortunately, that's the last year they were made.

i have 50k miles in 2 years and still running strong.

the only problem i've had is tjhat it doesnt meet the gas milage on the data sheet. 40mpg..HAHAHA :(

i;'m getting 37 hwy/33city

i got mine NEW for $11500 out the door.

you can probably pick up a used one now for $7500. (oh, prizm = corolla except with Chevy logo instead of Toyota.)