What is the max length of an HDMI cable?

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
I would like to mount a plasma tv on the mantle above my fireplace. Because of the layout, I may have to run an HDMI cable as far as 15 feet. How much of a problem will that be?

Also, does anyone sell HDMI/DVI wall recepticles? I will need to run a cable through the wall. On one end I'll need to connect it to my DishNetwork HD box, and on the other end I'll want to connect it to the tv. I would like to make this installation look as nice as possible so I don't have visible cables everywhere.

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
crap - I thought I was posting this in the av & home theater forum. Are there any friendly mods who would like to move this?

Pakman

Nov 30, 2000
I thought HDMI was digital... so you will either have a signal or no signal. I would assume that if they sell a 15ft. hdmi cable, it should work. Check www.monoprice.com.

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
Thanks guys. That is exactly what I'm looking for. I think I'll buy a couple of those, then commission my wife's uncle to make a couple of stained oak recepticle covers so they'll blend in with my other woodwork around the mantle.

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Pakman
I thought HDMI was digital... so you will either have a signal or no signal. I would assume that if they sell a 15ft. hdmi cable, it should work. Check www.monoprice.com.

Just because it's digital doesn't mean there is no attenuation.

TheAdvocate

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2005
Originally posted by: AmpedSilence
why are the 6 ft cables on monoprice less expensive than the 1.5 ft or 3 ft ones? that seems odd.

Common size. economies of scale. ~ $0 variable cost for n+1 production.

Did you sleep through econ class? :D

AmpedSilence

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2005
Originally posted by: TheAdvocate
why are the 6 ft cables on monoprice less expensive than the 1.5 ft or 3 ft ones? that seems odd.

I figured that it was economies of scale that was allowing a lower price.

Oh, I never took an econ class, but if need you DNA isolated and finger pirnted i can do that for you :p

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: TheAdvocate

I figured that it was economies of scale that was allowing a lower price.

Oh, I never took an econ class, but if need you DNA isolated and finger pirnted i can do that for you :p

About all I'm good for is eating your food and leaving my clothes lying around the house. (At least according to my wife anyways).