What is the largest pet you think people should be allowed to have?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
yeah..ok thats fucking stupid.

you can't ban a pet because of size (well i guess you can ben elephants eh?). Size has very little to do with it. as others said a small snake (some anyway) are far more deadly then a pit bull.

you would be shocked how many have deadly pets. from reptiles to spiders.

oh and ban on size (say you ban anything as large as a pit bull) you are going to ban some very good larger pets. anyway fucking retarded idea.

Oceandevi

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2006
We can curse now?

and was this poll in pounds? I thought he meant number of animals!!!

Oceandevi

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2006
Originally posted by: GagHalfrunt
Originally posted by: Tick
Originally posted by: novasatori
It has nothing to do with the size of the pet.

Oh? So the size of a pet has nothing to do with it's ability to harm? Gerbils are just as deadly as wolves?

And blue whales are not as deadly as schnauzers. A animals ability to harm has little correlation to it's size. There are gentle giants and violent miniatures.

Well what makes the better Kinetic weapon? blue whale? or canine?

Whale time bomb....

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Oceandevi
We can curse now?

in many cities they already have a limit on the number of animals.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: novasatori
It has nothing to do with the size of the pet.

Oh? So the size of a pet has nothing to do with it's ability to harm? Gerbils are just as deadly as wolves?

No. I'd rather have a pet Great Dane than a scorpion, or tarantula, or rattlesnake, or even platypus. Those small animals protect themselves somehow, and it's often with venom.

Oceandevi

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2006
Originally posted by: waggy
We can curse now?

in many cities they already have a limit on the number of animals.

Well his poll sucks. :frown:

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
So I guess his suggestion pretty much eliminates the possibility of owning horses.

Oceandevi

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2006
Originally posted by: 91TTZ
So I guess his suggestion pretty much eliminates the possibility of owning horses.

Horses as food animals is ok. You just cant pet them.

HardcoreRomantic

Jun 20, 2007
I like big dogs (think big like Great Dane and Irish Wolfhound big). All that I've come across are very well tempered and playful too.

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Sperm whale.

Honestly I'd rather live in a slightly more dangerous world than have my rights peeled away like onion layers to protect idiots from themselves.

kalrith

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2005
Originally posted by: mobobuff
Originally posted by: mobobuff
Pitbulls are by no means the heaviest or largest breed of dog.

I didn't say they were.

Aggressiveness != Size

Yeah, but a 12 pound lap dog probably can't kill anyone no matter how agressive it is.
Unless it has "big nasty pointed teeth!" link

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Depends entirely on the animal, the persons ability to control it and care for it properly, and the space they have available for the animal to live in.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
I love how people just forget that everything can be conditioned to hate. Look at humans, your "normal" one is affectionate and peaceful. However, with proper training they can be ruthless and cruel.

Dogs are no different and if anything, are less dangerous than manipulated humans, since they are far less capable of cunning.

My parents had a Dobberman. The dog loved everybody, she slept on beds, acted like a lap dog, and licked anything that moved and she was friendly with.

If somebody got on her property that was a stranger, she let them know they weren't welcome by barking. If they persisted, she would nip at their pants. If they kept coming, she would grab a shoe. I had friends she was less used to that she would just bark, they didn't show any fear because they knew she was a nice dog and we were around, she never bit them.

In 12 years she bit 3 people. My future wife when she showed up un-announced and early in our dating, a guy who was jogging along the road outside of our property who actually went *IN* our property to kick her because she was being "aggresive" (she never jumped the electric fence). She had a rib broken because he kicked her, but then she ran his ass down and ripped his shorts (never bit him though).

The last person she bit was my brother, she hated flying things and always nipped at them. A fly landed on his leg when he was sun tanning, she nipped at the fly and got him. She was so scared that she ran to a hiding spot and stayed there for hours. When we found her she was shaking.

My dad trained her to be immediately obedient through positive conditioning. Treats instead of punishment. We never taught her to attack anybody. Just to obey simple commands and she never faltered in her obedience. Neighbor kids would come over when we were around and give her treats, she loved them too.

When I get a house I want to get a Dob, my wife says we shouldn't because she is so ingrained by the popular media sensationalizing, even though she knew and loved my dog. It's sad that people are so ignorant, not only of dogs, but of psychology.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

Horses as food animals is ok. You just cant pet them.

thats against the law here. you can't have horses for food. in fact it shut down 2 horse slaughter places.

BKLounger

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2006
I think the size of a person's pet should be based upon the owners size. The largest people (height and weight) are allowed to have the largest typical pets. small people get things like yorkies and chiahuahua's (sp), large people get things like great danes. No one no matter what size should have stuff like gator's or tiger's as pets. Plus with this system if the animal ever gets out of control the owner is typically big enough to be able to take control of their own pet.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
This poll just reminds me of how much I hated looking for condos and townhouse communities, they all had goddamn pet number and size restrictions through the HOAs. Oftentimes you'd be restricted to only one pet, and no larger than 35 lbs.....fucking HOA Nazis.

kalrith

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2005
Originally posted by: BKLounger
I think the size of a person's pet should be based upon the owners size. The largest people (height and weight) are allowed to have the largest typical pets. small people get things like yorkies and chiahuahua's (sp), large people get things like great danes. No one no matter what size should have stuff like gator's or tiger's as pets. Plus with this system if the animal ever gets out of control the owner is typically big enough to be able to take control of their own pet.
Once again:

...unless you can show me someone who is big enough to take control of a 1,000+pound pet.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Size limit is retarded.
lots of people have horses as pets. Why should they not be allowed to have a pet horse if they have the room?

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: CKent
Sperm whale.

Honestly I'd rather live in a slightly more dangerous world than have my rights peeled away like onion layers to protect idiots from themselves.

Why not a blue whale? I've always been in awe of the size of those things. I'd love to have one as a pet some day.

I don't think we really need to limit pet sizes so much as we need to hold pet owners accountable for the actions of their pets.