What is the highest CPU core temp you would accept when overclocking?

jackjack

Oct 24, 2008
I'm currently using the stock cooling that came with the Phenom 9950 and currently it's slightly overclock to 2.8 right. The temp is hanging at 49C-50C normal PCing and when playing my Titan Quest at Max settings it goes up to 52C-54C. I ordered a cooling device by XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler.

What is the highest acceptable overclock temp at idle? Thanks.

ashishmishra

Nov 23, 2005
For idle temps no more than 40-45, full load (Stress Tests) I am personally ok with a max of 75. Keep in mind that during normal usage scenarios barring I guess folding and heavy encoding you will never put that load on a quad core. Mine never exceeds 60 during normal programs.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
Have a look at AMD Zone. Theres a thread where someone killed his Phenom from OC'ing. Never heard of that happening with an Intel.

Pederv

Golden Member
May 13, 2000
Originally posted by: amenx
Have a look at AMD Zone. Theres a thread where someone killed his Phenom from OC'ing. Never heard of that happening with an Intel.

So this little blurb about Northwoods in Wiki is a mistake?

"Overclocking early stepping Northwood cores yielded a startling phenomenon. When core voltage (Vcore) was increased past 1.7 V, the processor would slowly become more unstable over time, before dying and becoming totally unusable. This became known as Sudden Northwood Death Syndrome, which is caused by electromigration"

vj8usa

Dec 19, 2005
Originally posted by: Pederv
Originally posted by: amenx

So this little blurb about Northwoods in Wiki is a mistake?

"Overclocking early stepping Northwood cores yielded a startling phenomenon. When core voltage (Vcore) was increased past 1.7 V, the processor would slowly become more unstable over time, before dying and becoming totally unusable. This became known as Sudden Northwood Death Syndrome, which is caused by electromigration"

Maybe amenx meant dying from overheating? You can easily gradually kill off any modern CPU by giving it a lot of voltage, but they shut off when temps get too high.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yeah. For intel temps, I would say 85C CoreTemp reading is rather high. Anything under that is OK in my book. As for AMDs, I really don't know much about what their temp cutoff is.

Elias824

Golden Member
Mar 13, 2007
Every CPU is diffrent, right now im idle at about 48c, max 55c on my intel e6400. Normally I wouldnt go that high but it nearing the end of its usfullness for me. I tend to do care less about temps as the CPU gets older.

Rhoxed

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2007
9950BE 140W Max temp 70C
9950BE 125W Max temp 61C
9850BE 125W Max temp 61C
9550 95W Max temp 70C

jackjack

Oct 24, 2008
Thanks to all that replies, I really do apppreicate it.

I went back to its normal speed. Don't really want to kill it, not yet anyway. I'm hoping to achieve under 40C with the new cooler. I would gradually overclock until I get my target speed of 3.2 , that's all, I'm not asking for much.. Thanks again guys.