What is the function of government?

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: charrison
federal, state or local?

Well, if you want to proceed on a philosophical basis, in general.

If you want to focus on specific levels, feel free.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Simply to maintain order by rule of law, foster well being of it's citizens and defend them from enemies both foreign and domestic..

It's the details which get fuzzy.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union,
establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common
defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to
ourselves and our Posterity,
do ordain and establish this Constitution for the
United States of America.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Orsorum
What about morality?

What about it? Morality is goodness which everyone was given by god. It's intrinsic. It's the golden rule. It's easily recognized as self evident to all but the insane or blinded by abject hate.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Zebo
What about morality?

What about it? Morality is goodness which everyone was given by god. It's intrinsic. It's the golden rule. It's easily recognized as self evident to all but the insane or blinded by abject hate.

What if we don't all agree about what may be morally correct? Whose opinion takes precedence?

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
What about morality?

What if we don't all agree about what may be morally correct? Whose opinion takes precedence?

That's a silly question. White Anglo Saxon Protestants should take precedence over the less developed peoples.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
The primary function of any government is to keep itself in power. The fact that they are occasionally benign does not change that fact.

A secondary function of government is to provide for the common defense, and provide order over chaos. Many forms of government can satisify these requirements. For now representative democracies are the preferred way. What the future holds is unknown.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
What about morality?

The ones with the guns of course.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
The function of our current federal government is to aid their friends in corporate boardrooms who need a nice little war now and then to profiteer from. Or make investing in war more profitable ala the Carlyle Group.

It's all a show. Entertainment. Reality TV Washington style. As long as they can keep people entertained they can get away with anything. Want proof? The Bush adminstration's invasion of Iraq is one example.

LeadMagnet

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2003
What about morality?

Government should enforce morality of the highest possible standards with extreme predigest. Weather or not the people want it.

rolleye.gif

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Originally posted by: LeadMagnet
What about morality?

Government should enforce morality of the highest possible standards with extreme predigest. Weather or not the people want it.

rolleye.gif

Yeah, whatever the supreme leader thinks is moral should be the standard for us all. Like underage drinking, drug use, draft dodging, going AWOL, illegal stock deals, rigging elections, lying about national security matters, etc.

Bush is setting an example for us all. Bringing honor and dignity to the White House my A$$.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
What about morality?

We all agree everywhere on the basics everything else is just fluff thrown into the morality catagory.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
We all agree everywhere on the basics everything else is just fluff thrown into the morality catagory.

Like gay marriage? Or the idea of a Just War?

Jan 12, 2003
Originally posted by: BOBDN
What about morality?

rolleye.gif

Yeah, whatever the supreme leader thinks is moral should be the standard for us all. Like underage drinking, drug use, draft dodging, going AWOL, illegal stock deals, rigging elections, lying about national security matters, etc.

Bush is setting an example for us all. Bringing honor and dignity to the White House my A$$.

I think you have your presidents confused...check your premises.

konichiwa

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: xxxxxJohnGaltxxxxx
What about morality?

rolleye.gif

I think not. Once again, I'd rather have a pres lie about a hummer than an imminent national (NBC) threat
rolleye.gif

Jan 12, 2003
Originally posted by: konichiwa
I think not. Once again, I'd rather have a pres lie about a hummer than an imminent national (NBC) threat
rolleye.gif

...that's because you are selfish and do not wish others to enjoy the same freedoms you enjoy.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
What about morality?

rolleye.gif

rolleye.gif

Are you a neo-con Koni? I thought they were the only ones "obsessed" with hummers. ;) :D

CkG

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
rolleye.gif

...that's because you are selfish and do not wish others to enjoy the same freedoms you enjoy.

What? The freedom to get a hummer?

I'm not selfish. Anyone wants a hummer can get one AFAIC.

But going to war where Americans are dying daily on a lie. No. Then I'm selfish. I don't want others to enjoy that kind of "freedom."

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY
What about morality?

rolleye.gif

rolleye.gif

Are you a neo-con Koni? I thought they were the only ones "obsessed" with hummers. ;) :D

CkG

As a matter of fact neocons are obsessed with hummers. But being the sexless, loveless, hate filled, evil people they are it's another kind of hummer.

Bush's most recent tax cut gave people who own businesses the opportunity to purchase up to $75000 worth of hummer for free after their tripled tax deduction.

Personally I'd rather see the entire group of uptight a$$hole neocons get a real hummer. They obviously need the release.

Maybe that's why things were so good during the Clinton years. A man who new how to live in a country where some people can't keep themselves out of other people's bedrooms.

Instead of this toad we're suffering under now trying to moralize while Rasputin Rove whispers in his ear.