What is the equivalent of Java Persistence API for .NET?

anergos

Sep 27, 2010
Hello,

I would like to ask two things:

1)Which is the equivalent of Java Persistence API for .NET?
2)Which is the best book for someone who knows Java but knows nothing for Java EE?

Thanks alot

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
1. The java language. One thing I'll give to java, the full implementation has about everything under the sun (or is it the oracle now?)

2. the Java docs? If you know java and want to program in Java EE, then I would just suggest reading up on the API. It isn't like it is a radically different language.

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
Hello,

I would like to ask two things:

1)Which is the equivalent of Java Persistence API for .NET?
2)Which is the best book for someone who knows Java but knows nothing for Java EE?

Thanks alot

1. There is an nHibernate framework for .Net. You can also use ADO.Net for entities 4.0 to persist objects to a relational database.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
1. There is an nHibernate framework for .Net. You can also use ADO.Net for entities 4.0 to persist objects to a relational database.

I used Subsonic on a recent project and was pretty impressed by it. Much less intrusive than nHibernate. You basically just create your database, point the subsonic templates at it, and it generates a set of classes for CRUD access. Worth checking out.

Bulldog13

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2002
1.) Linq to Sql - absolute pleasure to use. Mark - any first hand experience on how LINQ to SQL compares to SubSonic?

anergos

Sep 27, 2010
I thought that through COM+ .NET can achieve persistence and all this enterprise-like java abilities. Is it true? Any good book for Java EE except of java docs?

Train

Lifer
Jun 22, 2000
www.bing.com
I havent used it yet, but the .Net Entity Framework seems to be getting a lot of press lately. I guess (not an expert on it) is that it is the natural successor to Linq-to-SQL

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
1.) Linq to Sql - absolute pleasure to use. Mark - any first hand experience on how LINQ to SQL compares to SubSonic?

It's basically the same thing. Have a look at it and you'll see what I mean. They have linq2sql templates, and probably the biggest advantage for me is simple programmatic access to stored procedures.

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
I havent used it yet, but the .Net Entity Framework seems to be getting a lot of press lately. I guess (not an expert on it) is that it is the natural successor to Linq-to-SQL

Thats what I hear. My brother informs me that Linq to SQL is supposed to be deprecated here in the future.

As for my first post, disregard it, I misunderstood the question :D

linkgoron

Platinum Member
Mar 9, 2005

I've only heard bad things about Enitity Framework.
I've heard good things about nHibernate, but I haven't used any of them.

L2SQL is great though (it's not perfect, but it gets the job done).

mosheho

Mar 14, 2012
The equivalent for JPA is NPA (.NET Persistence API)
It is a specification based on JPA.
An implementation of the NPA spec also exists and is base on NHibernate.
see: http://www.npersistence.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.NET_Persistence_API

Thanks for the information, but if you're planning on hanging around please don't necro 18 month-old threads in order to get a link in them.

Markbnj
Programming Moderator

Last edited by a moderator: