what is the electoral system in the US (for Prez)??

Apr 17, 2003
is it Block Vote, the Alternative Vote , and Two-Round Systems (aka Plurality-Majority systems) or Parallel systems, the Single Non-Transferable Vote (aka semi-proportional representation) or List PR, Mixed Member Proportional (MMP) and the Single Transferable Vote (STV) (aka Proportional systems).

thanx

MonstaThrilla

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2000
Originally posted by: shady06
is it Block Vote, the Alternative Vote , and Two-Round Systems (aka Plurality-Majority systems) or Parallel systems, the Single Non-Transferable Vote (aka semi-proportional representation) or List PR, Mixed Member Proportional (MMP) and the Single Transferable Vote (STV) (aka Proportional systems).

thanx

Yes.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
It's none of those really. All elected officials in the US are elected through single member district and can be won by plurality, except for the president. The electoral college is the number of representatives plus the number of senators in each state. The way it works in most states is whoever wins the plurality in the polular vote wins all of the electoral votes in that state. So whoever gets the most electoral votes wins, but a majority is required in the electoral votes, although not in the popular.(if there isn't a majority the House decides).

So it's really kind of hard to say it is any of those. I mean, it's single-member district plurality vote, but not
rolleye.gif

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
I'd choose other ;) Also, If I remember correctly, the last 3 choices were only ever in Japan.

I suppose you could call it a 2 ballot system though. Since it technically takes an inititial vote(popular/plurality) and then goes to a second (electoral/majority).