What is the downside of making DC and Puerto Rico states?

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
I understand the benefits: fairer representation for these people and a more equitable union.

What exactly is the downside here?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Puerto Ricans would have to pay more federal income taxes. Right now, they only pay if they are federal employees or make their money elsewhere.

DC residents already have to pay federal income taxes. "No taxation w/o representation! for me, mo' taxes for thee."

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
welfare is already capped at $16/billion per year, and a lot of that gets block granted out so states can waste it on almost whateverthefuck they want.
There are times when you wish you hadn't made a post. It was total sarcasm, but not pretty.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
No downside. Once we have the votes, we should do it.
"New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new States shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress."
Note that this means California can also decide to split in two and double its senators while Democrats fully control Congress.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
From Trump's point of view, all those foreigners from PR shouldn't even be allowed entry into the USA let alone allowing them to be a state. As for DC, they're full of poor brown folks who need to go back where they came from and well they can't pay the kind of rent he wants to charge so screw them looking for statehood. They all need to be rich folks like him before he'd even think about his allowing that to happen.

Yeh, the idea of those two places leaning Democrat has nothing to do with his feelings about that.

And yes, I think Trump is that much of a moron based on what he's previously said of those two places.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
We can't have shithole countries and districts be states. Too many brown people

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Seems to me like no one can actually come up with a reason why dc and PR shouldn't be admitted to the US as states. If that's the case is t it fair to say, the democrats are idiots for not doing this right away?

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
The downside is that when the Republicans regain power then they will try to one up that. And then so on and so forth.

Just negotiate a split of the country and let's get on with it.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
DC is specifically problematic because it would require a constitutional amendment, I believe...and there remains a legitimate argument about the corrupting power of localized monied interests on the federal gover.....OH WAIT WE ALREADY HAVE THAT AND IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH DC ANYWAY!

nevermind.

Anyway, the slightest hint that PR and/or DC would be a GOP stronghold and those bitches would be falling over themselves and waste no scumbucket illegal time to make them states, by next week.

and it would happen.

That's it, really. Currently, It would add 4 democratic seats and, well, democrats are bitches. ethics, and all that. some sense of moral honesty remains in the party. I don't know why, tbh.

Reactions: Meghan54

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
The downside is that when the Republicans regain power then they will try to one up that. And then so on and so forth.

What’s the problem with that? If we have more territories that want to join our union, I’m all for it.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
What’s the problem with that? If we have more territories that want to join our union, I’m all for it.

They'll try something like splitting up deep red states into multiple states with borders that guarantee they will vote red, etc.. or who knows what will be dreamt up.

It will just become a clusterfuck.

Reactions: Thunder 57

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
They'll try something like splitting up deep red states into multiple states with borders that guarantee they will vote red, etc.. or who knows what will be dreamt up.

It will just become a clusterfuck.

It’s unlikely the GOP in its current form will ever get the house ever again.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Repubs don't have any territories with significant populations left to make into states after PR, should they accept it. DC has some complications. Splitting states is another matter entirely & unlikely. A 51 star flag is ready to go, however-

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
DC is specifically problematic because it would require a constitutional amendment, I believe...and there remains a legitimate argument about the corrupting power of localized monied interests on the federal gover.....OH WAIT WE ALREADY HAVE THAT AND IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH DC ANYWAY!

nevermind.

Anyway, the slightest hint that PR and/or DC would be a GOP stronghold and those bitches would be falling over themselves and waste no scumbucket illegal time to make them states, by next week.
Oh yea, bro.

Nov 8, 2012
It’s unlikely the GOP in its current form will ever get the house ever again.
Lol.

Boy oh boy you children are in for another ride awakening. You keep wanting to tell yourself everyone is Dem, but reality has proven otherwise every 2, 4, 6, or 8 years.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Lol.

Boy oh boy you children are in for another ride awakening. You keep wanting to tell yourself everyone is Dem, but reality has proven otherwise every 2, 4, 6, or 8 years.
It's like you don't even realize what's been going on for almost 4 years.

Jul 9, 2009
DC can never be a State, if they want to lose the designation as the capitol and the District of Columbia they revert to being part of the State of Maryland.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Lol.

Get back to me when you have a basic level of reading comprehension.