what is the difference between regular rice and minute rice?

Skiddex

Golden Member
May 17, 2001
is there a difference in the way they are processed or grown?

edit: yea yea yea, and besides the fact they take different amounts of time to cook

Slacker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
There are lots of different types of rice, minute rice is partially cooked.

From the Kraft Foods web page:

How does Premium Rice compare to MINUTE Rice?

MINUTE Rice is a long grain white rice which is precooked by a patented process which ensures consistent quality and convenience in preparation.

It is enriched with B-vitamins and iron, which naturally occurs in rice. Our rice is ready in only 5 minutes.

KRAFT Foods uses only the highest grade of rice from the heartland of the U.S. Actual cooking is performed at our manufacturing plant.

Rice is considered 'Premium' (which is also a long grain rice) because it uses a different raw material than MINUTE Rice Original. As a result, Premium will have a slightly different texture and more yellow color.

MINUTE Rice, like all dehulled rice, is considered a refined product.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
I used to use Minute Rice b/c "real rice" is substantially more difficult to cook.

Then I realized that Minute Rice sucks moose balls. I learned how to cook real rice. My tummy has never been happier.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Regular rice is easy to cook once you figure out how much water to add, temperature, and duration of cook time. You don't even need smart rice cooker.

RallyMaster

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2004
Uh...never tried minute rice but I cook real rice pretty well. Rice cooker FTW (been using one since I knew what rice was)!

Wonderful Pork

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2005
Originally posted by: MichaelD
I used to use Minute Rice b/c "real rice" is substantially more difficult to cook.

Then I realized that Minute Rice sucks moose balls. I learned how to cook real rice. My tummy has never been happier.

real rice is much better than minute rice, and it doesn't take much more work (just more time) if you have a rice cooker. I have a small rice cooker and cook some up whenever i need. Takes maybe 10-15 minutes, which is less time that it takes to prepare the other parts of my meal. delicious.

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: Midlander
Minute Rice may be easy, but it's nasty to eat. Melts in your mouth. Yuck.

Yeah but the gringos don't know the difference. :D

DainBramaged

Lifer
Jun 19, 2003
Originally posted by: MichaelD

moose balls...lmao....<shakes head>...moose balls....lmao

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
Originally posted by: jadinolf
Originally posted by: Midlander
Minute Rice may be easy, but it's nasty to eat. Melts in your mouth. Yuck.

Yeah but the gringos don't know the difference. :D

so true. Unless all the restaurants I have ever been to serve minute rice I can't tell the difference.

KMurphy

Golden Member
May 16, 2000
Regular rice:

1cup rice, 2 cups water - simmer until water is gone, remove from heat and gently fluff with fork. The sekrat is to get the water boiling before adding rice, then lower heat to medium low (or low) after adding rice. Perfect every time; though some pieces on the bottom may clump, the remaining 95% will be delicious. Don't stir while cooking.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I hhate minute rice. Stuff has a wierd texture. My wife generally uses Uncle Ben's "Boil in Bag" rice. Turns out pretty good. Not a big rice eater. Nasty stuff. I can eat it, but prefer not to. Maybe I had too much of it in the Corps...especially in vietnam..Hate beans too...

vegetation

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
Just buy a Zojirushi cooker and be done with it. Rice comes out perfect everytime, not a single grain wasted to being burnt/dry/clumped. Essentially zero effort process.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
minute rice = takes 1 minute to finish a quarter mile
regular rice = takes 17 seconds plus to finish a quarter mile

yuck, yuck, yuck.