What is the coolest running Intel 775 CPU?

SOSTrooper

Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2001
I'm planning to build a simple computer for web surfing and chatting using the Shuttle KPC $100 barebone case. And since airflow is minimal, I want to know which of the Intel CPUs run the coolest with stock fan. I don't mind using Celeron or low end C2D, as the computer will do absolutely nothing intensive.

runawayprisoner

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2008
Celeron 440, I think. Its TDP is very low. Any processor with a very low TDP tends to dissipate less heat than those with higher TDP, and thus, they run much cooler.

imported_ST

Oct 10, 2004
Have fun with this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/...E16813121333&Tpk=Intel

great mini-itx board!!!
Pros: This thing only takes 26W at the plug under load! Its got more than enough power for standard computing (email and web surfing and stuff), which is exactly what I use it for. I removed the top fan of an Antec 900 case and installed this there instead and used a pico-PSU (too bad newegg doesn't carry them) to power it and a CF card for storage. Now I can web surf and work on projects while using less power than a small light bulb, and this thing remains absolutely silent while doing it! Since the processor has a TDP of only 19W, If you have a well ventilated case you can remove the little fan on top and cool it passively. It'll run a bit hot like that but it stays stable.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
a celeron 420 probably (thats what i use in my server).

the new 45nm chips would also be good, but would cost a lot more as the lowest 45nm chip is the e7200 while a celeron 4xx is under $40 or even around $30 for a used 420.

an e7200 would probably also be really cool, since at idle its running at 1600mhz with a voltage of sometihng like 1.075v if you want a dual core. probably not much more power use than an e1200 (which is probably the lowest power dual core 65nm with an idle of 1200mhz)

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Idontcare

That's a pretty sweet low power desktop option...too bad it only supports 1GB of ram though.

If it supported 2GB dimms then it would be cherry to have 2GB of ram on it. I bet it would still be craploads faster in XP than my laptop with 800MHz P3 with 640MB ram.

im pretty sure it does support 2gb dimms from what i've read.

the next version of that itx board will be much better , i think its supposed to be called "little valley" and will have a real intel chipset (945 variant) and the atom chip at 1.6 ghz from some preview i saw online.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: hans007

That's a pretty sweet low power desktop option...too bad it only supports 1GB of ram though.

If it supported 2GB dimms then it would be cherry to have 2GB of ram on it. I bet it would still be craploads faster in XP than my laptop with 800MHz P3 with 640MB ram.

im pretty sure it does support 2gb dimms from what i've read.

the next version of that itx board will be much better , i think its supposed to be called "little valley" and will have a real intel chipset (945 variant) and the atom chip at 1.6 ghz from some preview i saw online.

I was just going by the specs listed on the Newegg site, it said 1GB max, not that Newegg is the bastion of technical specs ;) so I believe you.

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: myocardia

That's what I'm typing this on. It's actually as fast as my two gaming PC's, for the things I use it for-- web browsing, watching an occasional DVD, music, etc. I've got mine in one of these, which is smaller than the box my shoes came in (yes, I compared them), and cost less than the shoes cost, also. Oh, and no, it can't use a 2GB stick of RAM.

Myo do you run XP or Vista on it?

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
downvolted E7200 would be the most powerful and coolest running cpu you can buy, minus the ITX and laptop setups.

Umm.. my SMP would run cooler only cuz its a dual lappy processor system. :T

runawayprisoner

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2008
Guh... or while you are at it, get Intel Atom on a 945M board, then underclock that thing even further, and you might find yourself needing only 0.4v for the CPU. Now if that won't run cool, nothing will. :p (just goes on to show that if we keep digging deeper, we reach the other end of the planet)

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Originally posted by: myocardia
That's what I'm typing this on. It's actually as fast as my two gaming PC's, for the things I use it for-- web browsing, watching an occasional DVD, music, etc. I've got mine in one of these, which is smaller than the box my shoes came in (yes, I compared them), and cost less than the shoes cost, also. Oh, and no, it can't use a 2GB stick of RAM.

Myo do you run XP or Vista on it?

XP on all three of them.