what is the best way to store water for a earthquake?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Instead of storing the actual water store filtering equipment. You can then go to the lake to get your water and just filter it. Chances are a brita wont cut it, but I'm sure there must be something equivalent that will work for lake water.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
I'd like to know how you are going to use water to create an earthquake.

Pour the water into the fault line and then freeze it.
The Expansion will cause the quake.

I would expect that a highway maintenance engineer would still member such before they became demoted to paper pusher :p

DaWhim

Lifer
Feb 3, 2003
i have this water filter bottle called lifesaver. pretty awesome, they even advertise it is safe to drink your own urine, not more than 3 times tho because it gets too salty.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Even though this is a necro, I believe bottled water has an expiration date because at least one state REQUIRES anything meant for human consumption to have an expiration date printed. IIRC it's at least New Jersey. It's not worth it for anybody to print a special "NJ compliant" product so everybody gets the exp date. Same as how everybody sees the 5c deposit mark even though that's only in Michigan

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I'd like to know how you are going to use water to create an earthquake.
The way the USGS did it was to inject high pressure water into fault zones. They were trying to figure out if it was possible to release pent up stress slowly with a series of small earthquakes. Answer: no. Too many earthquakes would be required and as the coefficient of sliding friction is lower than static friction the outcome of any given injection was unpredictable.

The way hazardous waste disposal companies do it is to inject hazard fluids at high pressure.

The way the gas companies do it is to inject fracking fluids.

The way the Two Jakes did it was whipstocking oil wells.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
If you are going to store water for years like that, be sure to also have plenty of fuel stockpiled so you can boil your water to try to make it safer to drink. Otherwise, you'll also need a stockpile of iodine tablets, or in a pinch, you could use bleach (but NOT recommended.) Or, you could make your own grog out of spirits diluted with water as the alcohol will kill off the bugs....

If you go with grog, you can store in wooden barrels or stainless steel drums if you would like ...

I live by a lot of freshwater lakes, and have a decent stockpile of burnable fuels, and while there is a potential fault line near by, the "biggest" quake in the area was a 5.4 magnitude in 1968, and it was like 150-200 miles south of me. (new madrid fault)

Anyhow, I have about 30-50 liters worth of mead and beer in my house on any given day (I do a small amount of infrequent home brewing.) It may not be the best at hydrating, however, it's got calories, and it will hydrate, and won't spoil very quickly (most of my stuff is IPAs or imperial stouts, and the meads are pretty much all 10-20% abv .... So, provided the corks/seals stay good, they should all remain drinkable/safe for years to come ...)