What is the best way to print photos from a Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III

Qianglong

Jan 29, 2006
I took many photos of my girlfriend's convocation with the canon EOS 1Ds Mark III at full 22mp resolution at both Jpeg and RAW. The printer i will be using is the Canon Pixma 9500 pro.

I am thinking the best way to print them is to use the RAW files directly?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
can't use raw files directly. best way to do it is use a good converter to .tif files, then manipulate the .tif.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Depends on the size of the print.

An 8x12 at 300dpi is a 3600x2400 pixel file. No need for the full 5600x3700 pixel file from the 1Ds3.

angry hampster

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2007
www.lexaphoto.com
Originally posted by: ElFenix
can't use raw files directly. best way to do it is use a good converter to .tif files, then manipulate the .tif.

Agreed. I prefer CS3's raw converter. Do most of your levels adjustments in the raw converter to hold detail. Resample to a higher DPI or simply downsize the image to get a standard size print.

GrJohnso

Jun 18, 2004
Well, not sure about the Pixma's native DPI, but do what you want with the raw in your software of choice, then output to a .tif at the optimal DPI for the Pixma, or use something like QImage to print it for you.

http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/ Has some interesting discussion and examples of optimization/matching DPI to your printer. didn't see a big difference compared to my normal method below when I tested this though... Might make a difference for A3 or other big print sizes..

Personally, I just use Lightroom and print directly from there, using best DPI setting in the printer drivers for my HP. This does the downsizing automatically for you and work fine for me.. Haven't done much over 8 1/2 by 11 though with 12mp originals...