What is the best way to go on Home Security?

Natosha Jacobs

Jan 3, 2021
I have been reading all I can as we approach our build. I know what I want...programmable, accessible anywhere on smartphone, cameras as well as motion, fire, smoke...all that. But my worries are a few. One, I'm on Centurylink for internet and the system regularly goes down and to reset the modem you have to unplug it and replug...impossible if on vacation in Italy...How do we approach that issue? Second is the security of home security. How hacker-proof are the new wifi designs and how do we make sure it's not accessible to someone with a smartphone?

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
Any good security solution should have a cellular backup, so I wouldn't worry about that too much. All security solutions are going to risk for the same things - someone disconnects power/internet (hence cellular backup & power backup), defeat of sensors (not much can be done about this other than ensuring they are placed correctly), or knowing the password/defeating the device. I wouldn't worry too much about someone hacking the wifi, as long as you have a strong password, however you can certainly defeat most of the wireless devices out there by using a simple radio frequency blocker. If you are really wanting the most secure option, I'd simply focus on having wired sensors rather than wireless, or at the very least you have a system that defaults to alarm / notification if it loses connection with a sensor.

Generally most security systems are defeated because A) the response time is too slow, so they just allow the alarm to go off and they can get in and out quickly enough that it doesn't matter or B) the attacker knows the door code, or a method to get in safely.

Unless you are a target, most attackers are going to do a quick smash and grab, they won't be casing your place and figuring out how to defeat your security.

Reactions: Natosha Jacobs

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I think it's all a matter of opinion. If you pay for a subscription service that automatically contacts the police or fire, you're going to be looped into whatever technology they selected. You'll pay your monthly fee and they usually install those systems for cheap or free, based on the subscription agreement.

On the other hand, many systems have loud audible alerts that are just as effective as actually calling the police for theft prevention... Because ultimately, you want to scare the people off before they can take anything. A lot of people will purchase those systems with motion, window, and door sensors and call it a day.

Security cameras can be a deterrent if they're visible, but the footage is rarely useful unless you pay for the highest resolution, have good lighting, and know exactly when the crime was committed. I recently thought someone broke into my truck (they didn't) and had to watch hours of driveway footage on fast forward....even with motion sensing limiting recording.

Finally, just posting signs around your property that you have a security system enabled can scare off most people....

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
I've had several over the years and currently have Ring. The system was pretty cheap and the service is absolutely dirt cheap at $10/month. Just for system monitoring that is absurdly cheap. Combine it with it coverage cameras too and it's a steal. I've had it in two homes now and it has worked great. Response time for the service has been really good, less than a minute from burned bacon setting off the smoke detector from them calling. I have several of their cameras combined with some IP cameras for a best of both worlds local and cloud storage.