What is the best Security Suite these days?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

What is the best Internet Security Suite?

• Eset Smart Security 5

• Norton Internet Security 2012

• Kaspersky Internet Security 2012

• Bitfender Total Security 2012

• Trend Micro Titanium Maximum Security 2012

• Avira Internet Security 2012

• AVG Internet Security 2012

• F-Secure Internet Security

• ZoneAlarm Extreme Security 2012

• Other, please mention in the thread

Results are only viewable after voting.

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
if more people vote for 'other' than all of the other choices combined, your poll choices might just be f_ed up.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
If you are voting for MSE as the 'best', you really haven't tried the better paid suites. Its nice for its simplicity, but I would argue that an average user (especially one with a file sharing teen in the household) needs something better than MSE.

Who pays for Internet Security???

MrCrispy

Aug 9, 2008
I've heard many bad things about Kaspersky products. Like full scans taking a week to complete. The paid suites have a lot more functionality (privacy settings, system cleaners, optimizer etc) but as far as security goes, they are no better than MSE or the 3 A's (Avast, AVG, Avira) depending on which test you see.

dawks

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
If you are voting for MSE as the 'best', you really haven't tried the better paid suites. Its nice for its simplicity, but I would argue that an average user (especially one with a file sharing teen in the household) needs something better than MSE.

Are you claiming paid software is better? You'll be happy to know MSE is the rebagged version of Microsofts enterprise grade AV/M Forefront. Its the same software minus some enterpise config options and a different color scheme. Big corporations are paying big $ for it.

MrCrispy

Aug 9, 2008
There is talk that MSE/Forefront will be integrated in Windows 8. I think MS should have done it a long time ago (make it a critical download on Windows Update) and kill off Defender.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
There is talk that MSE/Forefront will be integrated in Windows 8. I think MS should have done it a long time ago (make it a critical download on Windows Update) and kill off Defender.
They would probably get sued for abusing their monopoly power by including something free (e.g. IE).

Obviously, the statistical relevance of this poll is huge, given that the "other" category has as many votes as all other categories combined (14 vs 14)!

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
In my experience, many of the paid security suites (on customers' computers) don't block those stupid fake antivirus programs run and root themselves into the system, often times disabling the legitimate AV product.

That's what got me last time... :$ I just had a brain fart and didn't recognize it.

I run Norton and MSE on my new build, just MSE on the other 3 XP machines. I used to run McAfee, but it just about locked up my old laptop. I'm finally rid of it... I reinstalled a clean version of XP on a new HDD... no McAfee popups!

A judicious mouse click is your best defense... :p

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
If Microsoft tried that, they'd be sued to hell by the idiotic government regulators.

lifestorie11

Jan 20, 2009
I like MSE. Very good option for non-technical users as well as the user who just does normal web surfing and does not click/download everything that pops up on the screen. Very lightweight and user friendly. This is saying a lot for a Microsoft product.

EskLuxor

Apr 24, 2008
i always use mse. a lot of all in one internet security software bogs down resources and reeks like bloatware.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
It is not a good idea to run 2 active antivirus programs on the same machine as they can prevent each other from scanning properly or at all.

Actually, you make a good point... and I didn't realize what I was using. o_O I actually am running MSE and Norton's Internet Security, not Norton AV.