What is the best piece of equipment to use to watch TV, DVD's, HDTV, etc.

coolred

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
Heres the deal. For someone setting up a nice home theater what shoudl be used for viewing the image? Is a projector a better option then say a RP TV or do they produce the same quality. If the projector is better quality what type is best(CRT, LCD, DLP, whatever else there is). Assuming a budget of around 5000.00 dollars, but cheaper is better. Which types of projectors need bulbs to be replaced? Anyone have good pics of thier home theater setups, using large TV's or projectors, or some other means?

Maverick

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
5000 goes a long way these days. For projectors, I would suggest a projector like the Infocus X1 or step it up a notch and get the Sony VPL-HS10. Infocus goes around for about $1700 and the Sony goes for around $2500. For widescreen projection TVs, I'd suggest a Mitsubishi or Hitachi. With a projector, bulb replacement will have to be done about every 2 years or so. This will cost anywhere from $300-500. Projectors are a better value in my opinion. But space considerations must be taken as well as lighting conditions.

SherEPunjab

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
and projectors are just pimping. I have several friends that have that motorized screen that comes from the celing, and retracts flush against it when not in use. too cool.

coolred

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
Let me make sure this is right: $5,000 just for the TV?
Less then 5000.00 is better, and for a TV I could get one under 5000.00 pretty easily, but from what I understand projectors are the better way to go, and I believe they can be a bit more expensive, depending on type and options.

5000 goes a long way these days. For projectors, I would suggest a projector like the Infocus X1 or step it up a notch and get the Sony VPL-HS10. Infocus goes around for about $1700 and the Sony goes for around $2500. For widescreen projection TVs, I'd suggest a Mitsubishi or Hitachi. With a projector, bulb replacement will have to be done about every 2 years or so. This will cost anywhere from $300-500. Projectors are a better value in my opinion. But space considerations must be taken as well as lighting conditions.
What type of projectors are those you listed?

LeStEr

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 1999
Originally posted by: SherEPunjab
and projectors are just pimping. I have several friends that have that motorized screen that comes from the celing, and retracts flush against it when not in use. too cool.

Wish I had some friends with something like that.

coolred

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
I checked on my own and the Sony at least is an LCD projector, correct?

I am still trying to learn about them, i wish i could find a good article about the differant types of projectors and what makes one better then the rest. As i understand it CRT projectors are really good, but big heavy and expensive. LCD's I think are good, less expensive and smaller and lighter. But then there are a coupel of other kinds I don't know anything about.

coolred

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
Excellant advice as usual rossman. This is just a fact finding post, I am trying to learn as much as I can about this stuff. While it would be nice to own sometime, I do not have plans to buy anything like this.

PCMarine

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2002
Epson makes some pretty good projectors. Ive watched a few movies with my epson projector was hooked up to my computer. Played black hawk down great, no ghosting or image distortion.