What is the best (most reliable) car battery?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by DVDdude, Jul 26, 2003.

1. DVDdude

DVDdude Member

The battery in my 2000 Honda Civic is dying. I am wondering, what is the best (most reliable) car battery out there? I am just looking for one that is reliable and will last a long time.

Any brand / model suggestions?

2. ElFenix

ElFenix Super Moderator and Elite Member
    Super Moderator

wally world brand
    battery dying after 3 years is kinda random.

3. DVDdude

DVDdude Member

I am not 100% sure my battery is dying, but I figure it is best to replace the battery every 3 years or so, just to be on the safe side. (How long should a car battery last anyway?)

So Walmart brand batteries are good?

4. Guest

It depends on how many "years" your battery is rated for. I had a 4 year battery that said "Megatron" on it. It lasted a good 6 years+. No doubt because it said Megatron, and was indeed an Energon cube!:)

5. Thegonagle

Thegonagle Diamond Member

Wally World doesn't carry batteries that physically fit a 2000 Civic.

Honda OEM used to be Delco, but now they're Interstate. Both are generally excellent, IMHO.

I think you can get a Die-Hard Silver for the Civic, but not a Gold.

I had trouble finding any Civic batteries for mine a couple of years ago, so I said fvck it and went and got one from the dealer. It was an Interstate (that's what the parst guy told me, and the Honda battery I took out was a Delco with the same green eye as GM batteries). It was around $60, so not cheap, but not outrageous. IIRC, that was around the same list price as the Die-hard silver that Sears DIDN'T have in stock.

6. SarcasticDwarf

SarcasticDwarf Diamond Member

Go to Autozone and have them check the battery and alternator. They will do it for free. I have had lots more alternators go than bateries..

7. DVDdude

DVDdude Member

So Sears DieHard brand is good?

Anyone know of a webpage or consumer reports type page that has a car battery comparison?

8. AlienCraft

AlienCraft Lifer

My favorite batteries would be Interstate, & Diehard.

9. Thegonagle

Silver and gold are, but I don't know about the cheapest Diehards. I would stay away from the lowest priced batteries from any source, but especially Exide, if you plan on keeping the car.

You might be able to haggle a 10% discount out of your dealer on a Honda battery, and then you know you're getting a good one.

BUT, before you change that battery, you might as well get it load-tested. That will tell you how many amps the battery is capable of supplying. At only three years, if you've never completely drained the battery by leaving the lights on, or having an alternator die (a Honda OEM alternator dying much before 150,000 miles is a fluke, in my experience), I think it has a another good year in it, if not two.

10. montanafan

montanafan Diamond Member

Panasonic. My Honda Prelude had one in it and it lasted for nine years. Started in 0 degree temps, no problem.

11. RU482

RU482 Lifer

Sounds like a 90's GM owner :) Been there

12. JellyBaby

JellyBaby Diamond Member

Recommendation: Sears DieHard. Good selection, the CSRs will make sure what you select will fit and (at least in my experience) the batteries in stock are always fresh.

13. SarcasticDwarf

SarcasticDwarf Diamond Member

1989 Ford Mustang 4 cyl. I replaced the alaternator 3 times in the three years I owned it.

14. OS

OS Lifer

For the rice rocketeer who goes out of the way to save 20 lbs, you can buy a lightened battery for ~90 dollars. :D

I might actually get one the next time my battery dies.

15. Thegonagle

Sounds more like sh!tty rebuilts. Good alternators last a long time, but cheap crap replacement parts go fast. Likewise with starters.

16. fastz28

fastz28 Golden Member

17. Ornery

Ornery Lifer

Gawd, you could start that engine with a couple AAA battieries I bet. The original could easily last as long as you own it, especially if you never see snow.

When I'm in search of a battery, I just look for the biggest one that will fit, having the most cold cranking amps, for the lowest dollars. Don't give a damn whose name is on the side of it.

18. Thegonagle

Your Megatron was an Interstate.

19. cressida

cressida Platinum Member

If an alternator dies in a Honda, it will make a screeching sound, had one break in my friends car while we were driving from Houston to Austin.

20. Marauder-

Marauder- Platinum Member

Another vote for Diehards - after my Camry batt died - I got this Gold Diehard and it's been doing fine. The reason why my batts go through so much stress is that during the winter time, I drive up to Tahoe a good 30-40 times during the season so it gets it's mixture of extreme temps.

21. cavemanmoron

cavemanmoron Lifer

AC Delco used to have one of the most dependable batteries.

I have been very happy with the Auto batteries from WalMart,especially for the $$;and am happy to say Yes buy one!

{i used to work at Sears Auto center,and i know a bit about car batteries}

The toughest thing on a normal auto/car battery is to be run dead,they are meant to put out a large current for a short time,and to then be recharged by your alternator. If you Plan on running a battery
    way down,like as a trolling motor,or in a camper to run lights,etc;then buy a Deep cycle battery.
    :)

22. richardycc

richardycc Diamond Member

just buy the one with the longest non pro-rated warranty, chances are, they are all make by the same company, johnson controls.

rich

23. Cyberian

Cyberian Diamond Member

Get the battery and alternator checked, load tested, whatever.
    I have a '97 Civic, that my wife uses for nothing but short trips (1-3 miles, several times a day) and we're still on the original battery.
    We live in the Northeast, with hot summers and fairly cold winters.

YMMV