What is the best head-to-head fighting video game?

uclaxman

Dec 31, 2001
Street Fighter 2 the original has to be one of the best. A classic!

After that it got all crazy and stuff.

Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 is really fun...but its pretty nuts sometimes....

Never into Mortal Combat...pressing a button to block...ghetto...

Demosthenes

Jul 23, 2000
Seeing two masters play in Marvel vs. Capcom 2 is like watching bach perform a symphony... it's mind-boggling how complex it is.

LiekOMG

Golden Member
Jul 5, 2000
Street Fighter was always good.
Also check out some of the SNK games(like King of Fighters, Garou, etc), as they made some pretty awesome stuff too.

uclaxman

Dec 31, 2001
street fighter is the be all and end all....
originator of the 6 button fighting games...

Ryu kicks all other asses....

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
Originally posted by: Demosthenes
Seeing two masters play in Marvel vs. Capcom 2 is like watching bach perform a symphony... it's mind-boggling how complex it is.

So damn true.. I was watching in awe when I saw two very good people play at a local arcade.

:Q

FatAlbo

Golden Member
May 11, 2000
Originally posted by: uclaxman

There was no balance in the original. SF2 Turbo evened it out a little bit more. However, Super SF2 had the best balance, finally made a real distinction between Ryu and Ken, and had four new characters.

Ne0

Golden Member
Nov 4, 1999
Street Fighter 2 Turbo for the SNES, made some money from that game.

mpitts

Lifer
Jun 9, 2000
I have always liked:

Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
Tekken 2
Street Fighter 2: Turbo

But I love them all... :D

Semidevil

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2002
Originally posted by: FatAlbo
Originally posted by: uclaxman

There was no balance in the original. SF2 Turbo evened it out a little bit more. However, Super SF2 had the best balance, finally made a real distinction between Ryu and Ken, and had four new characters.

didn't they also have a SUPER street fighter 2: turbo? I thought that was pretty good. very colorful.

FatAlbo

Golden Member
May 11, 2000
didn't they also have a SUPER street fighter 2: turbo? I thought that was pretty good. very colorful.
Yeah, but the addition of the super move was cheesy, IMO. :p

Desturel

Nov 25, 2001
The most balanced one I've played was KOF 98. You could use all but about 5 characters efficently in that game.
The least balanced one I've played was Samurai Shodown 3 (well it was balanced, but every character was overpowered).
The game that required the most concentration was Marvel vs Capcom (and MvsC2). If your concentration slips for a second against another good player, you'll find yourself in the middle of an infinate. Atleast with Samurai Shodown you died quickly enough that you didn't get concentration headaches. MvsC keep you in there for a while.

The best 3D fighter... hmm... I like Soul Calibur, but I prefer Virtua Fighter 2 (and 4 now).

zeon

Mar 20, 2001
dead or alive 2. no question. It has an amazingly deep fighting system with no predefined combos or super moves, wich allows for innovation and addaptation rather than memorization. also the counter system is a thing of pure beauty.

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
capcom vs snk and capcom vs snk 2

u can choose between snk characters or capcom characters!!!
iori vs ryu!!

NeoV

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
Karate Champ among the old school games

Snk's brilliant Last Blade and Last Blade 2 are high up on my all-time favorites..then Samurai Showdown 2, Kof 98, and Garou, Mark of the Wolves...

Among the Street Fighter games, the original SF2 is my favorite....

for 3d games..Tekken 2

But my all-time favorite, because I played in 10,000 times waiting for another playable game for the system, was Naughty Dog's "Way of the Warrior" on the 3DO (no) system.....digitized fighters MK style, fatalities, music by Rob Zombie, and more hidden features/characters than you could ever find.....probably not the most technically perfect fighting game, but I loved it!

thawolfman

Lifer
Dec 9, 2001
3D for me = Soul Calibur. That game just 0wnz :D

2D I'd have to say MVC 1, but that's just my opinion. I did like the older Street Fighters too... SSF2Turbo, etc :D