What is the best GTX 970?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jime1

Feb 22, 2015
I guess you missed the part when I said that I now game with a laptop and big screen TV?
My q9550 system is like 7 years old. Compared to todays standard of power/performance per watt the r9 290 is the gtx480 of yesteryear my friend. And yes its a spaceheater.

In others news...........and since this thread was about what gtx970 to buy.............
I recommend the cheapest one you can find. I think there is one floating around for 300$ and 2 free games at Newegg. It should use about half the power and give off half the heat and still be faster than a 290 overclocked.
Yes :thumbsup:, That's what I'm talking about :)
my personal preference would be msi or GB Wind-force or eVGA FTW :cool:

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
It IS 100w+....

Who here doesn't OC their cards?

Goalpost shifting.

happymedium said:
And yes its a spaceheater

70 watts over the competing card is not a spaceheater. That's completely overblown propaganda and exaggeration. A 290 uses as much power as a 970 and a lightbulb. If the difference is about a lightbulb, its not that much, and it wont heat your room where a 970 wouldnt. You're wrong, period, end of story.

OP:
Despite the propagandists endless complaining otherwise, you should consider both 970 and 290 in terms of performance, price and game bundles to determine which is right. The 290 is a better buy if you dont have a use for the new Witcher or Batman games bundle with the 970, but id say the 970 is a good buy if you were planning on buying those games.

Last edited: