What is the *Best* Game Company? Poll UPDATED

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: TreyRandom
You had me up until you said "for full MSRP". I don't buy *any* games for full MSRP, regardless of how much I trust them to put out a good product... simply because I know that it'll go on sale at some point (sometimes even on Day 1). So, while I certainly buy some games on the release date, I never pay full retail price.

Secondly, you may see PC gaming as a "gloomy industry", but I don't. I've been playing computer games since 1980, so I've seen just about every cycle there's been... and I think PC gaming's doing just fine. I've enjoyed what's been released the past few years, and I *rarely* experience a problem that isn't already addressed by a patch. But then again, I'm a computer tech who can address his own IT problems.

i usually don't pay full MSRP either ... this is a Poll to determine which game company you TRUST to pay full MSRP for on first Day of release
-IF you were to do this

i don't see it as "gloomy" either ... but it is the "popular" view
--in fact i started this very controversial thread in Video about a renaissance in PC gaming you might like:

Forget John Romero - XBox360 and PS3 ARE Doomed

Smilin

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
Originally posted by: apoppin
Originally posted by: Smilin
Originally posted by: CZroe
HA! Whoever voted for THQ is agreeing to buy a whole lot of day-1 crap. ;) They are a publisher and every now and then they publish a good game (Company of Heroes, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., etc). The good game's developer should be listed, not THQ.

I voted Valve. Runner up: Monolith. If you asked me before Doom3 launched, I would have answered "id Software! No contest." I see that you guys feel the same way as I do (0 votes). Now id Software is just about impressing gamers and it's up to Raven and Splash Damage.

BTW, why isn't Raven on the list?

Uh, id has 0 votes because it was added to the poll after everyone had voted. :roll:
id was added the second day ... within 24 hours of the poll's late creation

now Remedy on the other hand was suggested right away and still has no votes

Hehe that doesn't count dude. The poll is shot. People who would have voted for id, THQ, Relic etc may have voted for something else. Every one vote like this would account for a two vote discrepancy since you can't then re-vote for the one you want. If you want your poll to mean anything at all you would have to re-do it.

Also, adding it within 24 hours doesn't matter much if most votes were cast before then. Based on the time of the original post even adding it 8 hours later wouldn't do the trick...besides it was more than 24. (see timestamps).

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Hehe that doesn't count dude. The poll is shot. People who would have voted for id, THQ, Relic etc may have voted for something else. Every one vote like this would account for a two vote discrepancy since you can't then re-vote for the one you want. If you want your poll to mean anything at all you would have to re-do it.

Also, adding it within 24 hours doesn't matter much if most votes were cast before then. Based on the time of the original post even adding it 8 hours later wouldn't do the trick...besides it was more than 24. (see timestamps).

i did not INTEND a poll ... i wanted *discussion*
HOWEVER - i acquiesced to 'popular demand' and added one as an "afterthought" based on the first 20 or so replies ... no one even THOUGHT of id till the 2nd day AFTER the late-poll

Where were the id fans ... still playing Doom3?
[... and what do you call id fanboys, btw ?... i know many call nvidia fanboys - nvidiots :p]

Cutthroat

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2002
I'm surprised Microsoft Game Studios has not been mentioned. They've created/published lots of popular titles such as Flight Simulator, Rise of Nations and Age of Empires. Also coming soon, Alan Wake and Gears of War.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Cutthroat
I'm surprised Microsoft Game Studios has not been mentioned. They've created/published lots of popular titles such as Flight Simulator, Rise of Nations and Age of Empires. Also coming soon, Alan Wake and Gears of War.

next time ... next year .. i will do another poll .. to perfection
--and we can compare '07 to '08

until then, please post under OTHER and give your opinions and comments in the post

i see this as a "recurring feature" ... pretty helpful to see what you think
--remind me in a year

Cutthroat

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2002
Originally posted by: Cutthroat

next time ... next year .. i will do another poll .. to perfection
--and we can compare '07 to '08

until then, please post under OTHER and give your opinions and comments in the post

i see this as a "recurring feature" ... pretty helpful to see what you think
--remind me in a year

I didn't really mean you in your poll, it would be a bit ridiculous by the time you list them all (I did vote other), but in 3 pages they had not been mentioned. Some of my favorite games have come from them, Flight Simulator is a standby for me, I've been playing it for years, and I do buy each new version right away. Rise of Legends was also one of my favorite games of all time, I spent an enormous amount of time playing that.

Another developer which I think had not been mentioned yet is Maxis, now unfortunately owned by EA. The Sim City games were also some of my favorites. And although I don't personally like The Sim's too much, it's one of, if not the best selling PC game series of all time.

Smilin

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002

HOWEVER - i acquiesced to 'popular demand' and added one as an "afterthought" based on the first 20 or so replies ... no one even THOUGHT of id till the 2nd day AFTER the late-poll

[... and what do you call id fanboys, btw ?... i know many call nvidia fanboys - nvidiots :p]

I gave you *discussion* in my first response. I believe it is the most thorough argument anyone has posted yet. I'm sure there are better arguments out there but people aren't posting them. If your retort to it consists of "still playing doom3?" or "idiots" then your "discussion" isn't worth having. Come down off your high horse.

Sorry your poll sucks. Don't take it out on id.

TreyRandom

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Originally posted by: TreyRandom
You had me up until you said "for full MSRP". I don't buy *any* games for full MSRP, regardless of how much I trust them to put out a good product... simply because I know that it'll go on sale at some point (sometimes even on Day 1). So, while I certainly buy some games on the release date, I never pay full retail price.

Secondly, you may see PC gaming as a "gloomy industry", but I don't. I've been playing computer games since 1980, so I've seen just about every cycle there's been... and I think PC gaming's doing just fine. I've enjoyed what's been released the past few years, and I *rarely* experience a problem that isn't already addressed by a patch. But then again, I'm a computer tech who can address his own IT problems.

i usually don't pay full MSRP either ... this is a Poll to determine which game company you TRUST to pay full MSRP for on first Day of release
-IF you were to do this

i don't see it as "gloomy" either ... but it is the "popular" view
--in fact i started this very controversial thread in Video about a renaissance in PC gaming you might like:

Forget John Romero - XBox360 and PS3 ARE Doomed

I guess since I don't have a bunch of patch-addressable issues to deal with, I'd go with the companies who make games I enjoy playing. I'm currently playing the heck out of Titan Quest, and if S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is as good as the reviews seem to indicate, THQ seems to be doing well in my book. Definitely a fan of Valve. There are a bunch of others I'd pick, if money wasn't an object.

Sorry for assuming you perceived the industry to be "gloomy"... but it's phrases like "gloomy industry" which cause the "popular" opinion to stay popular, though incorrect. ;) Just like "global warming" and "separation of church and state", if you say something enough times, people will believe it. :D

Will check out the other thread in a bit. Thanks! :)

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

I gave you *discussion* in my first response. I believe it is the most thorough argument anyone has posted yet. I'm sure there are better arguments out there but people aren't posting them. If your retort to it consists of "still playing doom3?" or "idiots" then your "discussion" isn't worth having. Come down off your high horse.

i already told you my poll sucks
-i didn't intend one at all ... it was an "afterthought"

who the hell knows if a thread will be popular or not?

i promise to make a better one next year ... and it will be in alphabetical order and it will include all the popular companies from this year's poll including id
... i am sorry but there is nothing i can do about the current poll or make reparations that will satisfy you - my junior mod toolset doesn't include a a time-reversal mechanism yet --or i just haven't figured out how to unlock it.
:clock:

HOWEVER, i DO have something to say that might interest you ... after actually using the up-to-date version of Vista, i must admit my opinion has changed since the RC-2 ... i really like it - right now as it is - XP is rather primitive by comparison. No difference in performance and i have my benches with both GTS and 2900xt to prove it.

--carry on your discussion about the Wonders of id ...
... don't mind me :p

What DO they call id's fan boys?

Smilin

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002

i already told you my poll sucks
-i didn't intend one at all ... it was an "afterthought"

who the hell knows if a thread will be popular or not?

i promise to make a better one next year ... and it will be in alphabetical order and it will include all the popular companies from this year's poll including id
... i am sorry but there is nothing i can do about the current poll or make reparations that will satisfy you - my junior mod toolset doesn't include a a time-reversal mechanism yet --or i just haven't figured out how to unlock it.
:clock:

HOWEVER, i DO have something to say that might interest you ... after actually using the up-to-date version of Vista, i must admit my opinion has changed since the RC-2 ... i really like it - right now as it is - XP is rather primitive by comparison. No difference in performance and i have my benches with both GTS and 2900xt to prove it.

--carry on your discussion about the Wonders of id ...
... don't mind me :p

What DO they call id's fan boys?

You're right. It's a just a tad bit hard to look into the future to guess what all the possibilities are. And admitedly I was bummed that id wasn't listed. You may or may not dig their games but as a gaming company they definately treat gamers and the community right.

For best polish on a RTM game (no patches allowed) I would probably vote blizzard tho. id is very quick to correct but I remember a couple "duh" bugs in Q3:Team Arena, Doom3 and quake 4 when they were first released.

Name For id fanboys? No idea. Never really considered myself a fanboy of anything except maybe MS. "ididiotsots?"

I'm glad you're digging Vista. I think the best is yet to come with that OS. Hardware/drivers will be the first to come around. Seeing built-for-vista apps is going to be the shit tho. There are a lot of new features (apis and whatnot) that can make it run circles around XP but nothing has been natively written for it yet. Although there will be some titles this year DX10 will hopefully start shining by maybe Christmas game season in 2008.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
well, valve could be "valve head" ... irrational suggests itself ... "idiosauros" ?
--id-E-oh-sore-ass after a long gaming session ?
:D

i do like the D3 engine and love what Carmack is doing with DX10 and OpenGL ... didn't like D3 but did like Q4 and Prey
-yes, id does give its fans what they want
--i was just kidding about the initial lack of support by id's fans here ... you were the only one to notice for a long time.

as to Vista .... it was just a big surprise to me; when i tried RC2 i had "old HW" ... otoh with everything brand-new it is a "joy" and every bit as stable as XP. Of course, i'm looking forward to the "full DX10" games ... and even enjoying Lost Planet and CoJ's "effects" on the dx10 pathway right now

if anyone is interested - Post Number Five - http://forums.anandtech.com/me...062057&highlight_key=y

i benchmark both the 2900xt against the 8800GTS-640-OC in both XP and Vista so you can also compare the 'gaming performance' of each OS too. See for yourself.

secretanchitman

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
blizzard, because every single game ive bought from them, i have been extremely extremely satisfied. it was damn well worth the money.

and i WILL be picking up starcraft 2.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
blizzard for me as well. Warcraft III was less than absolutely stellar but I've never felt cheated out of my money. They have always put tremendous care into the crafting of their games with top notch production.

JoshGuru7

Golden Member
Aug 18, 2001
Bioware is probably my favorite on the list. Mass Effect is also the game that I'm most looking forward to, and those two might be related.

Turbine is the only company right now that could sell me a game based solely on their involvement with it.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
Blizzard? who are you guys kidding, yes they HAD hits like D2 and SC, but wow is no great game, and BC-expansion really was relesaed WAY to early, how in the world is bliz beating valve?