Discussion What is the best "everyday" bourbon for $25 or less?

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
What is your go-to sipping bourbon for under $25/bottle? Would also like something that mixes well in a cocktail.

Feb 10, 2000
In that price range, Bulleit or Wild Turkey 101 for me. Old Grand Dad Bottled in Bond is also pretty solid. A few dollars more, at least where I live, will buy Knob Creek, with a commensurate step up in quality.

Reactions: Zeze

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Chicken!

Okay, I'll say it. If you have an everyday bourbon, you might be a drunkard, d-r-u-n-k-a-r-d, drunkard.

<goes back to burning witches>

A good bourbon is a perfect complement to a good witch burning. The oak-y vanilla notes pair beautifully with the aroma of the broomstick smoldering in the embers.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Not sure what the price is like anymore, but Old Forester was a solid bourbon.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Chicken!

Okay, I'll say it. If you have an everyday bourbon, you might be a drunkard, d-r-u-n-k-a-r-d, drunkard.

<goes back to burning witches>
Well, I skimmed over the sipping part and had posted Makers ...but a friend gave me a bottle of Larceny. Decent enough but I try and stay away from liquor.

Nov 29, 2006
Im not a bourbon drinker but one of my good friends is. He said "Buffalo Trace is his go to. W.L. Weller is pretty amazing for the money. And if you want more spice/rye try Wild Turkey"

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
In that price range, Bulleit or Wild Turkey 101 for me. Old Grand Dad Bottled in Bond is also pretty solid. A few dollars more, at least where I live, will buy Knob Creek, with a commensurate step up in quality.
What this guy said. Old granddad is pretty cheap and rather good. Knob creek is basically our go-to for bourbon though. You start taking strides in cost to get higher quality than that.

PJFrylar

Apr 17, 2016
I usually go with bulliet or knob creek, though not every day lol. I usually go with the rye versions over the bourbons though.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Probably between Knob Creek, Buffalo Trace, or Bullet at that price point. All fair and easily obtainable anywhere. Really would spend a few bucks more and buy some Maker's 46 instead though which is usually my go to cocktail whiskey.

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
I get handles of Evan Williams black label for $18.99 plus tax on sale. That's my everyday driver. For me, spending $20 for a fifth is splurging for a special occasion. Old Grand-Dad or Evan Williams bonded can sometimes be found in my area for about that.

Last edited:

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
If you have an ABC liquor near you and want inexpensive try this one.

tomsims.jpg

I like Bufffalo Trace, Knob Creek, Bullet and some others mentioned but this one is amazing for the price. 4 year old is a little lighter in flavor and alcohol content (40 %), I like the 6 year. $13.99 a Litre bottle here.

PJFrylar

Apr 17, 2016
Woodford Reserve.

Woodford Reserve, while good, is definitely out of the stated price range. That's actually the current whiskey I've been sipping on ... it was about 40 bucks on sale for 750 ml. Good whiskey, just a bit pricey in comparison to comparable ones like knob creek,

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
I get handles of Evan Williams black label for $18.99 plus tax on sale. That's my everyday driver. For me, spending $20 for a fifth is splurging for a special occasion. Old Grand-Dad or Evan Williams bonded can sometimes be found in my area for about that.
truth!
Evan Williams 88proff is best bang for the buck.
insanely cheap.
not bad drank straight.
and of course, if mixing with coke, why bother with anything more expensive?

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Woodford Reserve, while good, is definitely out of the stated price range. That's actually the current whiskey I've been sipping on ... it was about 40 bucks on sale for 750 ml. Good whiskey, just a bit pricey in comparison to comparable ones like knob creek,
Highway robbery. You can get 750 mL here for $27 at trade joes.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Woodford Reserve at my local store is $27. Maker's is $25. Bulleit is $27, and Buffalo Trace is $25. I normally get Buffalo Trace but I went with Maker's this time.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Ehh, I don't drink much Whisky, but, Makers Mark is the best I've tried. That said, when I did drink more, I used to buy Jim Beam for like 20-30 bucks per handle, and it was great when mixed with Cola.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Maker's is what I drink. I drink it on the rocks, with Coca-cola, or with egg nog this time of year. I'm not much of a "warm" alcohol fan unless I'm drinking something too special to dilute. I can get it for $45 per 1.75L bottle here. It's got lots of caramel flavor and is excellent compared to others in the same price range. It's from a small distillery in Loretto, KY....great place to visit.
Woodford Reserve is good too and while I enjoy it, the finish tastes more oakey than Maker's so I tend to prefer Maker's over it... I never cared for Jack Daniels whiskey because it's got a different aftertaste than Maker's Mark too....but to me is far less bearable than Woodford.
My dad was always a bigger fan of Jim Beam and while I drank that stuff all through high school, I haven't looked back. JB and Wild Turkey just haven't been on my list. Evan Williams is decent for the money, but it's just got a little less flavor than MM...so I usually spend the extra cash.
Baker's is another good brand, but it's a little more pricey. It's worth trying if you want another bottle on the shelf to choose from. I think it runs about $40 per liter here.
Blanton's is smoother/sweeter and can be had for $60 per 375ml bottle, but I have trouble finding it in stock. Most of my local stores get it and sell out very quickly thanks to the small bottle size... Those who drink it, can finish that 12oz bottle in no time.

After I get to that end of my cabinet, I sometimes switch to Lagavulin, neat and embrace the peat. I typically lead off with Maker's or Woodford on the rocks to get myself in a scotch mood so I appreciate the complexity even more. My last bottle was a special reserve from a 16 year batch that cost about $145. So if it were in the same size as a blanton's bottle, it'd be $73. I don't exactly get that stuff out every week, but it's fun to drink scotch every other month when you have a fire going.

PJFrylar

Apr 17, 2016
Apparently I bought a more premium woodford reserve, it was my first time trying I though it was the base level one. So look who opened their mouth and removed the need to ponder the question of his idiocy.