What is the best console EVER?

rayfieldclement

Apr 12, 2012
What is the best console ever? In my opinion the best is the Sony PlayStation. I think it has durable hardware. It loads fast. The controllers are top notch. Many games would become classics. It is also easy to use.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
NES, first time playing games at home didn't suck, it leap frogged the hell out of the Atari 2600 (and whatever existed between those nobody really owned, so they're irrelevant).

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
Yea probably the NES.

Original Zelda, Metroid, Castlevania 1-3, Contra... and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Then again it might be N64 since Ocarina of Time is the best console game ever.

dmoney1980

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2008
very close between SNES and PSX for me. The SNES was the pinnacle of platformers and RPG's in my opinion. Zelda, Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country, FF3, Super Castlevania are hall of fame games.

The PSX introduced 3-D platformers, FMV cutscenes, and ushered in mature video games (Resident Evil, GTA, etc) into the console market. Let's not forget the influence that the original dual shock controller had

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
The PSX introduced ... FMV cutscenes, and ushered in mature video games

Night_Trap_Cover.jpg
splatterhouse3.jpg

Last edited:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Psx IMO. Introduced survival horror, made story driven RPGs more powerful via fmvs, introduced metal gear solid, and pretty much brought video games into the digital age with CD based media.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
SNES and PSX for sure. I'd give it to SNES by far because Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy II and III, Secret of Mana, etc >>>>>> than that travesty Final Fantasy VII.

But then Xenogears, Lunar, Tales series, etc more than makes up for it.

SNES was the BEST system for RPGs hands down. PS1 continued it but started to decline slightly due to mainstreaming of gaming, and PS2 is really the last system with any great RPGs. Then the Xbox came and now all have are shooters and sports games for the most part.

Last edited:

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
FMV cutscenes, and ushered in mature video games

These two things weren't necessarily for the best for everyone or every genre...

There were plenty of mature games though on other systems, Nintendo was just a pansy until MKII.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
The best console is whatever nostalgia leads you to believe is the "best".

Except that that the majority of "best games ever made" lists two decades later all across the world consists of an overwhelming percentage of the games on the two systems spoken for here (SNES and PSX). And the people who make those lists range from people who have had Atari 2600s to people who grew up with XBoxes, yet these lists always converge on these two systems for a reason.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
i personally probably had the most fun with the SNES. has a lot of great games that still are fun to play to this day and have aged greatly. a lot of it though also has to do with the fact that i was a kid and had no worries in the world at the time when SNES was king.

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
For me it would probably be the N64 with the SNES nipping at it's heals. To this day I can't think of a game that impressed me more than Mario 64. (I don't do RPG's so throw that right out the window in this equation for me). Maybe it was that I had the N64 first and that was my intro into 3D. If it wasn't for them going cartridge and the cost that involved I think the system would have done much better overall, it had higher game prices and limited developers since they had to prebuy a huge number of cartridges.

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
Except that that the majority of "best games ever made" lists two decades later all across the world consists of an overwhelming percentage of the games on the two systems spoken for here (SNES and PSX). And the people who make those lists range from people who have had Atari 2600s to people who grew up with XBoxes, yet these lists always converge on these two systems for a reason.

So what other people believe to be the best is the best?

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
I've owned a lot of systems. When I was a kid we had an Odyssey. I remember the 2600 and then the NES. SNES, Genesis, SMS, DC, etc. I've loved them all. I have nostalgic memories of all of them. But honestly none of them are as good as the PS3 or the 360 and between those two I'll take the 360.

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
It's a hard question. A lot of people are just going to fondly remember the console they had as a kid and think it was tops.

I remember staying up late at night playing on my 2600, then later the NES.

Still, I think the SNES was the best console, all around anyways.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
SNES. And it's really not even close.

And I owned pretty much every single major console, when they were new, not bought on eBay 20 years later. My nostalgia bias is fairly "evenly" distributed then.

But the SNES library has so many utterly timeless gems. PSX is close, NES was great, but SNES is the clear winner.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
It depends how you define "best" -- if you're judging best based on tech specs, then I think that's a bit unfair.

My favorite was the Atari 2600 due to the games being so much fun and unique. Everything now just seems to be a rehash.