What is the average lifespan of a refrigerator?

stomp

Oct 9, 1999
What is the average lifespan of a refrigerator?

The one in my house has been running for 32 years now... but we have to kick it really hard about twice a year to get it going again. Is it about time to change? Or does it still have plenty of life left?

WombatWoman

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2000
When my father died, we sold the house that I grew up in. In the kitchen was a refrigerator that is older than I am (I am 52.) It worked fine. Your fridge may have quite a bit of life left.

Mariah21

Jun 13, 2000
Stomp that's horrible you have to kick your fridge!!! hehehe...

I have no clue how long a fridge lasts...

WombatWoman

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2000
Newer refrigerators are much more energy-efficient than old ones, so you might want to consider retiring the old model before its demise. The savings on your electrical bill could be considerable.

Doomer

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 1999
Afew years back I bought a top-of-the line Sears Freezer fully expecting it to last me the rest of my life. It died 2 months after the 5 year compressor warranty expired :(

They don't make them like they used to :(

HorB

Mar 27, 2000
I am 40, and the upright freezer in my dad's garage has always been there as far as I know.

spec411

Apr 18, 2000
yup,,pretty much any refrig made up till 1960 was good for 30 years plus! some 70-80 years!! ours went out after 40 years (GE) but that was only the thermostat..it used to cycle off and on like 30 time before it would "catch" sometimes --that happend for about 10 years till it finally stopped...just couldnt get replacement parts so had to get a new one..DONT GET RID OF THE OLD ONE!! KEEP KICKING IT!

BTW, had 2 service calls on the new one already, its louder, less convenient, etc etc...