What is point of photo printer?

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
i'm hearing a lot of photo places let you bring in digital photos to get printed, so doesn't this make photo printers sort of not worth it? i mean the cost per print is cheaper with the photo service....

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Then you gotta get your lazy ass down to the photo store to drop off your flash cards or whatever...

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
Originally posted by: gopunk
i'm hearing a lot of photo places let you bring in digital photos to get printed, so doesn't this make photo printers sort of not worth it? i mean the cost per print is cheaper with the photo service....

Well I'm not a big print my own photos guy, but after standing in line for 30 minutes, watching idiots trying to shove the CF cards into SM slots and MMC cards into the memory stick slot (examples only) then still having to call the guy who works there over to explain "cropping".........doing it @ home sounds pretty good.

ChrisIsBored

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
You can't exactly print out last nights *ahem* fun with the girlfriend at Walmart.... Doing it at home is more convenient. ;)

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
Originally posted by: ChrisIsBored
You can't exactly print out last nights *ahem* fun with the girlfriend at Walmart.... Doing it at home is more convenient. ;)

ah i see.... not surprising that i would overlook this :p

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

Also you avoid the whole "Uncle Sy" syndrome. :D

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
I like my photo printer. If I want to print a picture, I can just print it. I don't have to hope that some photo place is open and drive over there, wait in line, etc.

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
Originally posted by: notfred
I like my photo printer. If I wasnt to print a picture, I jsut print it, I don't hope somplace is open and drive over there.

By the way you're typing you must be drunk.

vegetation

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
Photo printers were once worth it, as it was difficult to find a consistent quality standard through photo print shops. But that's changed, I'll never go back to buying ridiculously overpriced ink cartridges, photo paper, resolving print jams, and have to contend with yellowing paper after 1 year of my printed photos hanging on the wall.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I have an Epson Stylus 875DC Photo Printer. I must say it's not worth it simply because Ofoto.com or Shutterfly.com do a GREAT job with your pics... making them come out even better than conventional pics. When I print them on my photo printer, you can make out the pixels if you look hard enough.

Go with Ofoto or Shutterfly, or even Clubphoto.com (25 cents each) for digicam pic printing...

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
You know a regular mid range printer can print photo quality photos right? I use my HP 960 for photos and they turn out great.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Get a good photo printer like the Epson 1270. Touch up your photo using good software like photoshop.

Color co-ordination between monitor and printer is important.

You will have great photos that look amazing and will last 50 years without yellowing.

Grasshopper27

Banned
Sep 11, 2002
A Digital Camera is your friend! ;)

: ) Hopper

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

I guess printing the shots out in the privacy of your own home is fine ... once you've shared the shots with the Internet communtity.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
When I buy a photo printer I want something which can print realistic 8x10's with no degradation in quality sorta like 35mm prints.

I think it depends on the type of printer, ink and paper used. I've read a few articles in PC Mags about this.