What is Overclocking?

swampi800

Nov 28, 2015
What is Overclocking exactly?
Ive been gaming a lot recently , striking up on Eve online amidst countless other titles and my cpu is capable of keeping up with some high specs but not all.Will Overclocking to the right degree help any graphics dissuasion or to the same degree , damage my cpu or other hardware.:wub:

swampi800

Nov 28, 2015
Well i guess with the options available we are given the choice to use them or not.
Thanks for the link!

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Better link.

Wikipedia said:
Overclocking is the process of forcing a computer or hardware component to operate faster than the manufacturer-specified clock frequency. Operating voltages may also be changed (increased) accordingly, which can also increase the speed at which operation remains stable.
The trade-offs are an increase in power consumption and fan noise, the system can become unstable if the equipment is overclocked too much, and the risk of damage due to excessive overvoltage or heat generation.

Will Overclocking to the right degree help any graphics dissuasion or to the same degree , damage my cpu or other hardware.
Maybe. To all of those.

What hardware are you using that you would like to overclock? Some hardware, such as most Intel CPUs, cannot be overclocked, as the manufacturer prevents it. Some hardware, e.g. low-end video cards, simply isn't worth overclocking, as better hardware is relatively inexpensive.

Billb2

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2005
Overclocking is a slow and methodical process of trial and error, mostly error, often accompanied by cold sweats in the dark of the night. ...Then you succeed.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
I think we all know what google is so that was quite unnecessary.
so was the original question ;)

While I won't explain what overclocking is, I can tell you it's not always the answer. most games are limited by your video card's computing power, so overclocking your CPU would not improve anything. Also, a 10% overclock does not equate 10% performance improvement, Often much less.

Overclocking also requires specialized hardware in some cases, such as a unlocked CPU or extra beefy cooling inside your computer chasis.
it also takes quite a bit of learning, and a lot of patience. it's a strange hobby, some would say overclocking simply isn't worth the trouble, but we do it anyways.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2011
Overclocking is a slow and methodical process of trial and error, mostly error, often accompanied by cold sweats in the dark of the night. ...Then you succeed.

So it's like... ummm... that other thing? :sneaky: :whiste:

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
if the OP **Original POster**, so ..swampi .. could tell us what CPU he has, maybe we could give him some OC advice.

swampi800

Nov 28, 2015
Well dude
:Geforce 960 Graphics Processor.
:AMD A8 7650 Processor.
:Asrock Motherboard.

I,m not sure if ~Overclocking is going to help my graphics credential and i,m not really sure how to do it , i tried it once already before a re install of my system and i think i pushed it too far as the framerate was ridiculous , so i reset the processors settings and decided against the option although i wanted to see what the idea behind Overclocking the processor was , how efficient the exact settings could be for gaming.

swampi800

Nov 28, 2015
Ah ok i see , thats handy , i kind of figured you would have to know a little about the relevance of the inner engines of pc components.
Maybe i,ll wait till i find someone who has the hands on tech expertise , just in case i blow anything!

swampi800

Nov 28, 2015
Aye great this is the kind of answer i was looking for.
A percentage to percentage equality , is possibly the naive angle i was shooting from.
I have chosen for the time being to not go ahead with taxing my cpu.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
ermm. actually, i think you have a processor that almost needs to be overclocked. need confirmation from AMD people though.