What is needed for SATA?

Mrvile

Lifer
Oct 16, 2004
I don't know much about hard drives, and all the SATA drives I find are OEM. I know you need a data cable, but what else is needed?

WildViper

Feb 19, 2002
Not an expert here, but I just bought a PSU and it had a SATA Power connector....maybe??

Rike

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2004
Mobo that supports SATA. Almost all mobos made in the last 9-12 months support SATA.

Mrvile

Lifer
Oct 16, 2004
Ok my friend told me:

1. SATA compatible motherboard
2. A power supply with SATA connector (or an adaptor if it doesn't have it)
3. Data cable

Rike

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2004
Originally posted by: dnuggett
Can you run a SATA HD and two IDE HDs at the same time?
If your mobo supports it and you have enough power from your PSU, yes.

Sep 12, 2004
The motherboard doesn't have to be SATA compatible. You can buy a SATA PCI card, assuming you have a spare PCI slot available.

It would really only be adviseable for adding extra HD capacity though since the first generation of SATA doesn't gain you all that much over IDE (except thinner cables for better airflow).

Intelman07

Jul 18, 2002
SATA, if i am not mistaken, has 150MB/s transfer rates. Additionally, it has very thin cables, and no need for master and slave settings.

Sep 12, 2004
Originally posted by: Intelman07
SATA, if i am not mistaken, has 150MB/s transfer rates. Additionally, it has very thin cables, and no need for master and slave settings.
SATA has the potential to burst data at 150MB/s, the maximum, which is actually a buffer to host speed. However, even the fastest SATA Raptors can only spin 102MB/s sustained off their platters (which is from the fastest section of the platters). An overall average would be slower than that so it's not likely you'll come anywhere close to that speed in real world usage, though sequential read tests in benchmarks can come close to doing that. Benchmarks really don't mean all that much though except for a measurement of your virtual manhood or to troubleshoot problem areas of your hard-drive components.

In the real world you're not likely to see a whole lot of difference between SATA and IDE, though 3Gb SATA may change that if and when hard-drives come out that can provide sustained read speeds that will saturate the existing SATA/IDE pipe maximums.

Mrvile

Lifer
Oct 16, 2004
Well SATA drives ony cost like 10 more bucks, so I guess I'll be getting it for the thin cords anyway :)