what is nanotechnology and how does it work?

Lesnor

Apr 25, 2001
Anyone who knows anything about this please send me information. I am doing a project for school and I need info so please send me replies. Thank You

layne151

Aug 16, 2000
Isn't that the technology Mork used for flying thru the universe in his egg? Nanoo nanoo

Supradude

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2000
6:40 am, so not all here... nanotech is just the new craze in technology, nano reffering to size, as in nano sized electrical components that will offer equal or better performance at a much smaller scale... makes it possible for things like PDA's and cell phones to incorporate much more fetures and "processing" power in the same small packages...

TripleJ

Platinum Member
Apr 29, 2001
I just saw a discussion on the telly talking about nanotechnology. In some uni in Australia, they managed to deliberately move a single atom using an extremely fine fibre. There are quite a few teams around the world that are trying to develop quantum computers (Uni of Sydney is involved I believe). These computers will manipulate atoms individually. As far as how it works, well, it's too bloody hard to understand when they try tell you in a half-hour time slot.

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
yeah, nanotechnology is pretty much what has been said.

it's most important aspect has to do with interconnects for extremely small circuits.

go to eetimes.com, you'll find some important information.

as for quantum computers, the most important thing is to increase the qubit capacity of current computers as well as to make the coherence last longer. i mean, interconnects mean squat if there is nothing to connect it to.

i read about silicon nanowires, and they were quite an interesting read =)

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
fully understanding the ramifications and the processes for nanotechnology would take a while ;-)

daddyo

Oct 9, 1999
IIRC, nanotechnology refers more to the manipulation of matter on the atomic scale.

Electrical devices are more of an application of nanotechnology than the motivating force. I think applications in biological systems will see the first benefit of these technologies.