What is my PSU's problem??

Phantron

Aug 21, 2003
Ok, hopefully you guys can give me some incite into this. Recently I finished building my new machine below, sans the 9800ati for the moment, as im still waiting for the XT launch next week.

Anyway, ive noticed something very bizarre from my PSU since I finished my new P4 setup. When im surfing the web, and I scroll up and down using my mouse wheel, my power supply makes this faint "bzzzzzzzzz" sound. Its a soft sound, not like a terrible scratching one, but almost like a "hisss" kinda sound.

The same thing happens when I start loading up like pictures into Photoshop. I don't hear it though when Im loading up games or videos. My computer otherwise has been rock stable and hasn't locked up or done anything strange other then that very odd sound.

Anyone have a clue whats the deal?

Burninator

Aug 28, 2003
what type of case and psu do you have Mine does the exact same thing.

are you sure it comes from the PSU?
i havent really tried to find the cause but ill look into it now

Phantron

Aug 21, 2003
Nope I keep my case immaculate, I always dust the inside frequently. Im almost postive its the PSU, but maybe maybe the HDD, but Just know it has to be the PSU.

Richdog

Golden Member
Feb 10, 2003
Well since its pretty obvious PSU's aren't supposed to make strange noises like 'hissing' i'd get a new PSU before the one you have fails and maybe takes some components with it.:beer:

cow123

Apr 6, 2003
i had a machine many many years ago (some pentium), anyway it would make a weird kind of noise when doing stuff (scrolling), it was coming from the sound card - through the speakers. try unplugging ur speakers

Phantron

Aug 21, 2003
Nope, its the PSU for sure. WTF is it doing....it only does it when im scrolling up and down as near as I can tell.

Killrose

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
Make sure the grounding tab on the I/O shield is securely against the side of the PS/2 mouse port out-side shield. Other than that, you might be dissapointed when you replace your PSU and the problem is still there. And you are sure the sound is not from your front case speaker?

If you have a sound card, try moving it to another slot.

Phantron

Aug 21, 2003
Nope, the shield is well grounded all the way through. Very odd. When I had my Athlon setup, it didn't make the sound, but with my new P4 setup, it does. And it doesn't have to be the mouse, if I use the keyboard to scroll, it also makes the sound.

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
A good 400 watt or great psu isn't that expensive these days
just look for one with strong 5 and 3.3v rails

good luck

beatle

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2001
Try using a USB mouse to see if it still makes a noise. Put your ear to the PSU while you scroll (make sure nobody is looking :eek:).