What is it with Americans and bottled water these days?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dcdomain

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
Moved from NYC to Jersey... holy crap, the water in Jersey sucks!!! It tastes like urine compared to the nice NYC water they pump down from Maine (I think)...

Pittsburgh water? Don't even think about it... and in Taiwan? Holy... if you dare drink it, I'll gurantee you'll be in the hospital in less than 24 hours...

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Napalm381, I will agree to that. I had a bunch of Ames water after a hard night of drinking there last fall. That water was pretty damn good. Still not as good as Dubuque's water though.

shifrbv

Feb 21, 2000
vi_edit - You might try getting one of those whole house filters. A friend of mine had the same problem with shower heads getting clogged, sink aerators clogged, etc. Once they put that filter on their incoming water line, the problems were cleared up. It even took care of a bad sulfur smell that was in their water. I think their setup only cost about $25 (it's called Omni Filter and they bought it at Lowe's but I'm sure they have them at home home hardware stores, Home Depot, etc.) and they buy the carbon filters for about $4 and change them out every 3 months. The filters reduce rust and sediment to 2 microns at 5 gallons per minute. I was told by a Culligan rep that anything below 15 microns is pretty good. It's an inexpensive way to greatly improve water quality without buying one of Culligan's overpriced systems.

UnixFreak

Platinum Member
Nov 27, 2000

<< some kind of $1 a bottle fashion statement. >>

thats precisely what it is, and its cheaper than one of those damn scooters...people are like sheep, its amazing when you really think about it..

Napalm381

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999

<< after a hard night of drinking there last fall. >>

Gee, that speaks volumes for your judgemental capabilities ;)

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
hey....I was sober in the morning when I drank the water :p

BTW - how many of you &quot;water bottle&quot; bashers are pop drinkers?

Napalm381

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
I drink quite a bit of pop. Caffeine and calories. Yeah yeah, they're not &quot;healthy&quot; calories, I know. But I need every bit I can get. I have trouble keeping my weight up, I think some good unhealthy sugar helps ;)

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
I agree with Entity-

I have a PUR filter on my kitchen faucet. Bought 1 case of water at wal-mart just to get the bottles and have been refilling them for about 3 years now. Go through 4 -6 16 oz. a day.

Deicide

Banned
Mar 5, 2000
I don't see the problem with drinking bottled water, but your a sucker if you pay more than like 50 cents for it. They sell Poland Springs bottles here for $1.00 - 1.25, which is just crazy. You can buy a 30-pack of the same brand at Sam's club for 7 bucks.

ManSnake

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2000
By caring a water bottle with you, you can feel that you are above everyone else! Hehehe...

ltk007

Banned
Feb 24, 2000
I live in South Jersey and we have great tap water. Its so good in fact that I can't stand tap water from pretty much anywhere else I go. I'm spoiled dammit. Unfortunately a couple of the towns around mine have a mercury problem, and you can't even drink the tap water without a risk of cancer (I think there was a lawsuit in tabernacle about that). Luckily my town isn't one of them.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Sorry to gloat here, but I have to say that bottled water is pointless once you try Salem's.;) We use a slow sand filtration system(largest of it's kind in the nation) to treat our water, which means that the water is allready clean from any sort of visible pollutants, and the tiny amount of chemicals we use get rid of any sort of disease.:D Slow sand all the way man!:p

SackOfAllTrades

Diamond Member
May 7, 2000
People are like sheep...the sheep that drink bottled water and the sheep that bash it.

I only drink bottled water when I am away from my Stone Cold Steve Austin frosty mug.

BiggieN

Banned
Apr 3, 2000
i live in chicago, where we have the greatest tasting water in the world! honestly, i love this water more than most tap waters. in fact, i am drinking it right now. it tastes pure but it has a sense of sweetness to it. makes my mouth water when i think about it. when i go on vacation and trips i miss the water. i've been to alot of places and chicago has the best water. this might be the only reason that would keep me here in the future.

mmmm, i'm gonna go get some more water to drink...STRAIGHT OUT OF THE TAP!