What is it with Americans and bottled water these days?

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
What the hell has happened in the past 5 years?? Now everyone has to carry around a bottled water like it's some kind of $1 a bottle fashion statement.

What's wrong with you people!! ;)

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
People are sheep. Although at home I do drink distilled water I do it because city water sometimes goes brown. I also think it tastes better.

hpkeeper

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Yakko, there are no health requirements by the U.S. on bottled water, for all you know that could be $h!t in a bottle.... I don't buy bottled water for that reason.

toph99

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2000
i just drink tap water... i figure, all of the bacteria in it will help build up an immunity against it :) plus i don't want to spend $2cnd on a bottle which i can get from my tap for less than a penny :p

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I moved from Dubuque, Iowa which had the second best tasting "tap" water in the US, to something that is about as palletable as pool water. You can smell and taste the chlorine in the water. After drinking it, your glass has a crusty residue on it.

Buying bottled water is a minor fee for paying for something that tastes good. When you drink as much water as I do (about 1.5 gallons a day) you appreciate good tasting water.

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
vi:

Why not just get a good faucet filter or Carbon filter to take out the chlorinated taste? That's what I do with my PUR (Seattle water - switched from well water; Seattle water tastes like pure water, and I drink almost as much water as you).

Rob

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< Has anyone in here ever spelled Evian backwards?

Coincidence?

I think not.
>>

ROTFLMAO!!!!!:p:):D;)

atom

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 1999
Come to where I'm living right now and see if you'll drink the tap water. :)

I don't know what causes it, but if you fill a cup with water and let the water evaporate here (boiling the water also does the same thing), a white powder is left lining the inside of the cup. Disgusting.

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
atom,

Sounds like alkaline water to me. Get a good filter. Though in some circumstances (what I've heard of some of the Pittsburgh water :)), bottled water by the jug (those huge 5-10gallon barrels of water) is worth it and not much more expensive than tap water.

Rob

beat mania

Platinum Member
Jan 23, 2000
Ok, what is the best way to carry around water besides a bottle? Its hard to puncture, it won't spill. Do you carry a mug instead?

shifrbv

Feb 21, 2000
atom - I think that's called hard water.

I got used to seeing so much crap floating around in my water - big white flakes which fell to the bottom of the glass. And that was in the supposedly &quot;purified&quot; city water.

I switched over to a PUR faucet purifier and a PUR water pitcher for the fridge. Who knows how well they work, but at least the water's clear now.

Emos

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2000
I live in SouthWest Florida, and the tap water here has a sulphur smell and taste to it (especially strong to the uninitiated) and all the businesses here use water coolers (Culligan must make a killing down here).

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Rob, I've thought about it, but I don't think that the filters would hold up. We have to change the pistol head on the hose thing that you use to spray off dishes about every six months because it clogs up so fast with the gunk that is in our water. The screen and holes on that pistol head are big. If that fills up that fast, I'd be scared to see the damage that it would do to the microfilters on those screw on machines.

We use a brita filtered pitcher for alot of our drinking water. We have to change that filter about every 2 months because it clogs up with junk.

SmiZ

Oct 6, 2000
I have a bottle or water that I drink out of while I'm at work. I bought it like a month ago and fill it from the faucet. So in a way I drink bottled water, but really I don't. Just needed a container.

atom

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 1999
When I'm at home, I usually just fill the coffee pot with tap water. But at school I have like 3 brita carafe filter things in my fridge because of that white powder problem. :)

Don't know how well they work, but it makes the water much more bearable.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
What irks me the most are the restaurants and bars that have caught on to the bottled water craze. I've been to some that won't give you a glass of ice water, you have to buy a bottle of water. That pisses me off.

EDIT: Oh, and I use a PUR filter on my tap at home, not because the tap water is nasty in New Orleans, but because we have corroded plumbing. I drink straight tap water at my parents' and other's homes.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Also, I'm happy that fast food joints are now starting to offer bottled water as an option instead of pop or their nasty ice water.

Now I can order a value meal, and instead of wasting the money on a pop that I'll never drink I can get it with a bottled water. The ice water that most fast food joints is nasty. The &quot;water&quot; spiget usually shares it's place with the orange soda or lemon aide drink. So, instead of getting &quot;water&quot; you get this wretched tasting water with a very hideous hint of artificial lemon or orange flavor. Uhhhg!

BTW - Check the temperature in hell if you see me having more than one can/bottle/glass of pop(soda) in anything shorter than a months time.

If we really want to make fun of what people drink - lets make fun of Diet, caffine free mountain dew drinkers.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< If we really want to make fun of what people drink - lets make fun of Diet, caffine free mountain dew drinkers. >>

That is just dirty tap water. :p

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
That is just dirty tap water

I was thinking more along the lines of rebottled urine w/ a hint of nutrasweet :)

The women at my office drink that stuff by the gallon.

Napalm381

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
In contrast to those who live in places with nasty water...I live in Ames, IA, which has won awards in the past for quality tap water. The water here is virtually flawless, yet for some reason that doesn't stop people from stocking up on bottled crap at the store. Most bottled water that I have tasted is WORSE than the tap water here. It blows my mind why people waste their money on such nonsense.