What is it called when a game suddenly exits to Windows with no error log or message?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vivendi

Nov 21, 2013
I haven't had a game CTD on me in ages. I guess that means I'm not gaming enough lately.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
GTA5 has decided since its last patch that it wants to crash the launcher every time I quit the game. I get a nice error every time telling me it crashed despite I actually hit the quit game button.

HitAnyKey

Oct 4, 2013
Sounds like flaky video card drivers to me. It happened all the time to me with my old Radeon 6800.

These are my thoughts. OP do you ever notice any artifacts on the screen ( blocky distortion of the image that usually clears up?). That is a pretty good sign your card is having issues.

The Power Supply might be another area to investigate as suggested earlier. My theory is if Windows doesn't recognize or acknowledge the failure then its probably hardware.

Perhaps run a stress test and see if you can reproduce the failure(s). You should be able to do so.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Is anything overclocked? Try stock speed.

Does this mainly happen after playing for hours? Exit and restart more often. Many games have memory or resource leaks that consume the max resources or 2 GB address space, along with coding that does not properly catch failures when allocating RAM or asking for a resource.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Check event viewer or the games log file (if there is one). The problem is probably logged in some form or fashion.