What is it about WOW?

tigersty1e

Golden Member
Dec 13, 2004
I even hear about females playing this game and they don't normally play games.

What's so great about this game?

zylander

Platinum Member
Aug 25, 2002
I thought it sucked. Its the same repetitive crap over and over again. I played for 5 days then went back to Oblivion.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
There is a constant drive to improve your char through various ways.

If you dont get into a raiding or arena guild, that drive stops at level 70.

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006
It took previous elements present in the top RPG's and refined them with Blizzard's classic Flair for UI ease-of-use and an art style that is beautiful yet simple.

Musical composition is articulate and keeps focus.

There is no end to the ability to improve you're character, even for the casual (though the large rewards come from raiding, to keep the hardcore there, though raiding has become easier since TBC)

Should sum it up.

Oh and btw, lots of girls play games. =p

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: zylander
I thought it sucked. Its the same repetitive crap over and over again. I played for 5 days then went back to Oblivion.

Odd, Oblivion had its own cursed repetitive gameplay. :p

WoW is popular because its super simple, easy to understand, and it will run well even on weaker systems.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: tigersty1e

I'll give you 5 reasons I find important.

1.) At launch time the game worked and that was 10000% better then other titles that previously launched. WoW was extremely playable save for the few million people all trying to cram themselves onto Blizzard's servers. Of which I might add it can be forgiven because Blizzard was caught off guard by their success. Prior to WoW most ( not all ! ) MMO's launched buggy, incomplete, and broken and most people put up with it because their was no real standard in production values when it came to launching a MMO. WoW set the bar and Turbine with LOTRO came back ( after their failure with DDO ) and re-raised it.

2.) It removed all the dumb arse repetitive leveling grinds ( this was
before the old dev crew left and the new ex-EQ1 dev crew came into the game ) found in other MMO's and pushed it back into the end game when it came to raiding for loot. They also used instancing to great effect when it came to dungeons and the world had a good storyline and atmosphere for the game setting and history.

3.) WoW was easy on the pc tech specs ! Compare WoW to EQ2 at the time in terms of PC tech specs and you'll see why EQ2 was left behind. Of course today EQ2 is slightly easier on your average mid-high level rig then it was back when it launched. WoW's pc spec requirements instantly made it attractive to those with out $5,000 dollar machines.

4.) WoW took the best ideas form other MMO's and refined the hell out of them or just plainly made them work. I'll be the first to say that WoW is not revolutionary but evolutionary in design. All their ideas and concepts can be seen in earlier works in other MMO's from UI to instancing, raid mob scenarios, pvp mechanics etc..

5.) Blizzard's reputation for quality products and fun ( not to be confused with OCD repititive style gameplay seen other other MMO's at the time ) products gave WoW a huge edge. It would of been like the now defunct Black Isles and Bioware during their hayday teaming up to do a massive Fallout or Planescape or Baldur's Gate MMO. People who were/are RPG fans of those titles would of been jumping at the chance to play a MMO made by the orginal crews that brought us Fallout, Baldur's Gate or Planescape Torment.

As for more women playing WoW.......Well all I have to say is "Hey Buck Rogers! Welcome to the 21st century. Now make room for Betty Rogers you lummox.".

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
- It's a Blizzard game. They could crap in a box and sell millions of boxes. They're like Apple.
- It's the best MMORPG out there. This isn't to say it's good - I find it mediocre, and yes, I play it. Being the best, it has more customers than other MMORPGs.
- TV has devolved into people eating slugs and singing badly, to match the devolving population that watches it. As the IQ cutoff on TV watchability drops lower and lower, people who can tie their own shoes find they need something to do recreationally other than watch TV, hence the rising popularity of MMORPGs.
- It's runnable on a low-end system, something most other MMORPGs can't claim. This allows in a large segment of players who would otherwise never have the specs to run an MMORPG.

Jetster

Aug 1, 2005
excellent points, Drift3r. I have every game from Blizzard(not that many anyway), not because they are the best or most fun, it's cause they're always well polished, through tested and run well on most systems, so i can concentrate on game play instead of pulling my hair out dealing with crash, bugs, zero day patches, etc. I don't want to pay to beta test games for companies!!! and it seems many still haven't learned from success of blizzard yet, nwn2, vanguard are just some of recent examples. Blizzard is like movie company Pixar, it takes them a long time to make anything, but anything from them worth you money.

Oct 20, 2005
For me, it's about being able to "live" through the actual warcraft world rather than just command a small army from a bird's eye view (aka WC1,2,3). It's really amazing to see all the things from WC series RTS games put to a more realistic setting.

When i first played WoW, when I saw a giant Kodo roaming the plains that was bad ass...or when I saw the big cities and all the stuff you could do there. Just being able to "live" the WC series gave me enough intereste to keep on playin.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: CKent
- It's a Blizzard game. They could crap in a box and sell millions of boxes. They're like Apple.

Sorry you are wrong. It does not matter what the name of the company or the name of the big lead developer of some ub3r old sk00l MMO is behind a MMO game. A MMO will not do well if the game is not fun and/or if it is broken, incomplete and buggy. No one is going to pay to beta test a MMO. Sorry not gonna happen. A name brand can only take you so far and reputations can be easily tarnished or easily uplifted ( ala Turbine and LOTRO ) if you release a quality product that is for the most part "DONE" or a broken product.

- It's the best MMORPG out there. This isn't to say it's good - I find it mediocre, and yes, I play it. Being the best, it has more customers than other MMORPGs.

While I enjoyed WoW and I got my monies worth it did eventually grow a little long on the teeth. Right now I am loving EQ2 and it's added depth. The EQ2 devs have finally learned to listen to their player base and have greatly improved the game while leaving some of the core mechanics that were working in place. They also removed some of the extra needless grind in many areas.

I also am fond of LOTRO and I love the quality of story telling in that game and it's unique use of instancing, great optimized graphics, and quality of production because it just works! :p

So IMHO WoW is not the single best game in town because some games like LOTRO and EQ2 are continually improving and growing beyond what you find in WoW. I hope to see Warhammer Online up there as well when it launches. Hopefully it will be "DONE" when it comes to the core game mechanics and production values when it launches. Of course with the open nature of development that Mythic is taking with WAR and allowing pre-players to examine I have a lot of faith that it will be what be shown in the dev to the public.

- TV has devolved into people eating slugs and singing badly, to match the devolving population that watches it. As the IQ cutoff on TV watchability drops lower and lower, people who can tie their own shoes find they need something to do recreationally other than watch TV, hence the rising popularity of MMORPGs.
- It's runnable on a low-end system, something most other MMORPGs can't claim. This allows in a large segment of players who would otherwise never have the specs to run an MMORPG.

I agree with your last two points. Prime time TV shows for the most part suck big time.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: tigersty1e

oh noes! teh wimminz can't play gamez, lolz. they need to be in teh kitchenz makin me sammiches and stuff, lolz

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: Bateluer

That was my thought as well........

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Its a kiddie game. Anything in the game that players deem to hard, the devs just make it easier. Also, having to put 4+ hours into each session at the higher levels to do the same things over and over were boring. Bound items suck, and being forced to do giant raids sucks. Sometimes its nice to do smaller missions. The PVP is pussified as well. Oh well, I played, got to lvl 60 and got bored very quickly.

Btw, DDO was a great game. By far the best storytelling out of any mmorpg and each quest was entirely different from the last. I stopped playing because I deployed. Of course, I like PVP the most on an mmorpg so hopefully warhammer online wont let me down.

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Originally posted by: TallBill
Its a kiddie game. Anything in the game that players deem to hard, the devs just make it easier. Also, having to put 4+ hours into each session at the higher levels to do the same things over and over were boring. Bound items suck, and being forced to do giant raids sucks. Sometimes its nice to do smaller missions. The PVP is pussified as well. Oh well, I played, got to lvl 60 and got bored very quickly.
If they make it too easy, people complain about that... if they respond and make it too difficult and time consuming, people complain about that... it's not often you see it in the same post though.

If WoW is too easy in any regard, it's likely because they have a large, generally casual playerbase. Spending 8 hours and a week's worth of gold-farming in repairs dying to difficult new content isn't my idea of fun and I'm 29.

While WoW does attract a lot of kids, it's because it's a Blizzard game and Blizzard games always attract that crowd. Further it pulled a lot of kids who would otherwise never have gottem mom to agree to a monthly fee into MMORPGs, a genre which has traditionally escaped their taint.

Btw, DDO was a great game. By far the best storytelling out of any mmorpg and each quest was entirely different from the last. I stopped playing because I deployed. Of course, I like PVP the most on an mmorpg so hopefully warhammer online wont let me down.
And that's what's really keeping me in WoW. Despite PvP being a stun contest since the expansion (and as a shaman main, my class is the only one unarmed), it's still got the best and most rewarding PvP in an MMORPG currently.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
If they make it too easy, people complain about that... if they respond and make it too difficult and time consuming, people complain about that... it's not often you see it in the same post though.

If WoW is too easy in any regard, it's likely because they have a large, generally casual playerbase. Spending 8 hours and a week's worth of gold-farming in repairs dying to difficult new content isn't my idea of fun and I'm 29.

While WoW does attract a lot of kids, it's because it's a Blizzard game and Blizzard games always attract that crowd. Further it pulled a lot of kids who would otherwise never have gottem mom to agree to a monthly fee into MMORPGs, a genre which has traditionally escaped their taint.

And that's what's really keeping me in WoW. Despite PvP being a stun contest since the expansion (and as a shaman main, my class is the only one unarmed), it's still got the best and most rewarding PvP in an MMORPG currently.

Dark Age of Camelot absolutely destroyed WoWs PvP system, too bad its a dead game now. The system is getting a revival in Warhammer online. I'm definately keeping an eye on the games progress.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Originally posted by: Bateluer

But at least Oblivion had an end. WoW is endlessly repetitive.

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Originally posted by: Acanthus

Dark Age of Camelot absolutely destroyed WoWs PvP system, too bad its a dead game now. The system is getting a revival in Warhammer online. I'm definately keeping an eye on the games progress.

Indeed, I'm definitely going to be trying this title out.

Skacer

Banned
Jun 4, 2007

DDO was great but suffered from a massive lack of content. Massive as in it should have had about 5x more than it did. Not only were people railroaded in their path, they also had to perform the same missions multiple times. Ugh.