What Is Intel HD Graphics?

Meehael

Nov 15, 2011
Hi,

I recently bought an Intel Core i3 2120 CPU and an ASUS P8H61 PRO motherboard. I noticed that the CPU has Intel HD Graphics 2000, which is, if I understand correctly, a GPU inside the CPU. How does that work along with my GeForce 560GTX? Do they work in symbiosis, or does that mean that I could even remove the graphics card and somehow use the CPU as a graphics card?

Thanks

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
It won't work with your discrete GPU because your H61 chipset motherboard does not allow you to use both the integrated GPU and discrete GPU together, as in on the fly switching. You would have to physically connect the display cable to the motherboard IO or discrete GPU if you want to use either of them.

If you already have a decent discrete GPU and use it mostly for gaming, you shouldn't even bother with the HD2000 as its gaming performance is god awful compared to a discrete GPU and more suited for simple tasks.

Fallengod

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
Yes, you need a Z68 motherboard but yes, it has video processing on the chip. Pretty amazing times we live in. :)

Also, I believe you are incorrect, the 2120 should have HD 3000 graphics, or maybe I am thinking of the 2125.

Anyways, when you install the motherboard drivers, one of them was for the GPU I believe. I am not positive but it would probably be a smart idea to go into the bios and disable onboard GPU when you have your own video card just so there are no issues. Not positive that is possible though. I dont think I could do with that with my Asus p8z68-v lx.

On another note, hd 2000 graphics are pretty damn slow. Its fine as long as you are not gaming but..... The current HD 2000,3000 graphics are only equal to about the speed of a $15AR GT 520 or so, just fyi....

Last edited:

Meehael

Nov 15, 2011
Hehe, no way am I using HD 2000 (it says on intel.com that i3 2120 has HD 2000 :)) over 560GTX, then :). But I'm just wondering, in order to use the PC without the 560GTX, I would need some kind of an adapter with VGA or DVI port to which I would connect the monitor?

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
You'd need a motherboard which supports using the integrated graphics. Unfortunately your current one does not. The ones that do will have some form of video connector in the back panel. :)

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
You'd need a motherboard which supports using the integrated graphics. Unfortunately your current one does not. The ones that do will have some form of video connector in the back panel. :)

How strange. Why would Asus produce an H61 motherboard without support for the onboard uGPU?

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
How strange. Why would Asus produce an H61 motherboard without support for the onboard uGPU?

If you need to use the onboard GPU, you need to get a board that supports it. Most gamers will be going with a video card(s) of some sort and won't ever use the onboard graphics, so why build a board that supports it.

I actually got a Z68 board to use my onboard graphics until I decide which GPU I'm going to get (...and get the money for it!)

IntelEnthusiast

Intel Representative
Feb 10, 2011
Ok here is some good information on the Intel HD 2000 and 3000 Graphics. With any board with the H61, H67, Q67 and Z68 (most of them) you will be able to use the IGP (Integrated Graphics on Processor) for graphics. If your boards come with the LucidLogix Virtu software you can set it up so that it will switch between the IGP and a dedicated video card to get the best performance for the application. For some digital encoding you can get better performance using the Intel Quick Sync over the dedicated video. For most gamers the only real use for the IGP is for backup graphics if you lose your dedicated video card. The IGP is also very helpful for trouble shooting issues since you can do away with the dedicated video card.

On boards with the H61, H67 and Q67 when you put a video card in it should disable the IGP (except if you have it turned on with the Virtu software); just make sure that you switch the video connection from the board to the video card. If you don't want to run the IGP at all turn it off in the Bios.

With most of the Z68 boards (those that support the IGP) you can run a monitor off the board and one or more off the video card to enable multiple displays.

So for most people (up to entry level gamers) the IGP can work well for them after that you really need to look for a dedicated video card for good gaming and high end performance work.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
If you need to use the onboard GPU, you need to get a board that supports it. Most gamers will be going with a video card(s) of some sort and won't ever use the onboard graphics, so why build a board that supports it.

I actually got a Z68 board to use my onboard graphics until I decide which GPU I'm going to get (...and get the money for it!)

Yes, but the H61 is a cutdown version of the H67, with no 6Gbps SATA and less USB and PCIe lanes. It's the budget version of the 6-series family, and it's what makes most sense to use with the iGPU.

It's just strange that they would make a board with the H61 but not offer a display output, other than maybe as a cost saving measure. If that was the case though, why offer 6Gbps SATA and USB3 through an external chip? I'm guessing that H61+ASM1061 to get the SATA3 is cheaper than H67, but adding those features to a board that doesn't OC and still requires a discrete card seems odd.

GrumpyMan

Diamond Member
May 14, 2001

Not necessarily, mine is a Z68 and it does not have a video connector on the back panel. So you can't judge by that.

Coup27

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2010
With any board with the H61, H67, Q67 and Z68 (most of them) you will be able to use the IGP (Integrated Graphics on Processor) for graphics.
For somebody in your position you should really be more thorough in the advice you give out. The OP's board clearly has no form of video connector on the motherboard, so the OP cannot use the iGPU.

Not necessarily, mine is a Z68 and it does not have a video connector on the back panel. So you can't judge by that.
This post makes no sense. He said you need a mobo which supports the iGPU by having integrated display outputs. Yes Z68 supports iGPU but if the mobo manufacturer has chosen not to include display ports on the mobo, then you cannot use it.

IntelEnthusiast

Intel Representative
Feb 10, 2011
For somebody in your position you should really be more thorough in the advice you give out. The OP's board clearly has no form of video connector on the motherboard, so the OP cannot use the iGPU.

Coup I tried to give general advice and information in my post. After taking a minute to look up the board in question I am shocked that this is the first H61 board I have ever seen that doesnt have build in support for the IGP (Integrated Graphics on Processor). So thank you for pointing out this exception to the rule of the H61 boards, I will going forward change the general advice that I give on H61 board..

Coup27

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2010
Coup I tried to give general advice and information in my post. After taking a minute to look up the board in question I am shocked that this is the first H61 board I have ever seen that doesnt have build in support for the IGP (Integrated Graphics on Processor). So thank you for pointing out this exception to the rule of the H61 boards, I will going forward change the general advice that I give on H61 board..
Sorry if my post came across rude, I should maybe have structured it better.

I understand that your role is to give assistance to users of Intel hardware but sometimes manufacturers have their own slant of what parts of the spec they wish to offer on a certain product and this should be checked before giving out specific advice. I do totally agree with you and others that it is truely ridiculous for a H61 motherboard not to have iGPU support.

Edit: GrumpyMan's Asus Z68 board also has no video ports. I think the rule is although H61, H67 and Z68 all support the iGPU, it's down to the mobo manufacturer whether they've implemented it on the board or not.

Last edited:

gramboh

Platinum Member
May 3, 2003

WTF, Asus doesn't include video outputs on the P8Z68 Deluxe? I was hoping they would on the Z77 version of that board, just to use for back-up if my GPU dies.

Blintok

Jan 30, 2007
WTF, Asus doesn't include video outputs on the P8Z68 Deluxe? I was hoping they would on the Z77 version of that board, just to use for back-up if my GPU dies.

looks like the deluxe does not but the P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 does. I have the gen3
and have on board hdmi/dvi and vga. Part of the features listed for my board is
"LucidLogix® Virtu (Universal Switchable Graphics) - Auto Switching between Integrated Graphics and NVIDIA/AMD Cards"

When i first read about that i thot it was cool and that it would almost be like having 2 video cards. But not so, as for my usage (gaming) if i understood it correctly would actually slow things down.

GrumpyMan

Diamond Member
May 14, 2001

That's correct, not on this particular mobo. :\