What is important when buying a scanner?

Discussion in 'Peripherals' started by glen, Dec 25, 2012.

1. glen

glen Lifer

I need one that has a feeder.
    It will mainly be for B&W work.
    I need to scan in printed documents and sketches, so I can save them electronically rather than in a large filing cabinet.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - important buying scanner Forum Date
    Best Mechanical Keyboard for £100/$124 (or less) Peripherals Nov 6, 2016
    What do you think is important in a mouse? Peripherals Nov 26, 2013
    Headset for $40 (crystal sound mic is important) Peripherals Oct 30, 2010
    Important X-Fi Driver Update for Vista 64 users with 4GB+ RAM Peripherals Nov 22, 2007
    Importing a printer Peripherals Oct 19, 2004

3. piasabird

piasabird Lifer

I work in a scanning department. I think Fujitsu makes the best scanners.

We scan many documents or forms that are hand written like address changes and Enrollment documents.

Here are some things to look at.

Operating system: Drivers will not work with all operating system. Whatever operating system you buy the scanner for keep in mind when a new operating system comes out you may not have compatability. This is a big problem for scanners.

Software is also important. Scanning is one thing, being able to adjust the image quality is another thing. If you want to get rid of watermarks, enhance faint documents or clean up problems on documents then you need some software to do that.

Kofax VRS is usually an add-on, but usually an OEM version comes with Fujitsu Scanners. You may also get things like OCR (Text Conversion Software). Other software like PDF software may also come with a scanner in trial or full versions. We use an image database application called ImageNow. It uses scripting to do different things, then it also links to the Database ID, in our Schools Database, so it is easy to move between the Admin Database and look up the images in the Image Database.

This is a typical low-volume scanner:
    http://www.fujitsu.com/us/services/computing/peripherals/scanners/scansnap/scansnap-s1500.html

We use a more expensive scanner. The PO said we paid about $1500 for one scanner. However, that was for compatability and high quality. We scan Transcripts, which are hard to scan.

So some other things are DPI, Image Quality, Sheet feeder and overall scanning speed.

#2 piasabird, Dec 25, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  4. glen

glen Lifer

5. glen

glen Lifer

Anyone else have ideas?