What is humanity's greatest technological achievement?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Whenever you watch those shows on Discovery/NOVA etc and they discuss the "tehcnological marvels of mankind" they ALWAYS conclude that the Shuttle Orbiter is by far the greatest technological marvel man has (yet) produced. It seems to be a general concensus amoungst those brainiacs.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: beer
Some of you are giving me the most significant, but not the greatest. The wheel, writing, tools, etc, may be the most significant (as in, ushering a new era) but they aren't our 'greatest' achievements.
Sliced Bread

deejayshakur

Platinum Member
Aug 7, 2000
playboy's 50th anniversary issue said:

1)apple macintosh
2)the pill
3)sony betamax sl-7200 vcr
4)ak-47
5)motorola dynatac 8000x cell phone

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
--Dave Barry

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
trying to be true to the question, i firmly believe it is the concept of the CPU and the surrounding computer technology. not only could the internet not be possible without it, everything else computer based would not be possible.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: TechBoyJK
trying to be true to the question, i firmly believe it is the concept of the CPU and the surrounding computer technology. not only could the internet not be possible without it, everything else computer based would not be possible.

And without electricity, the semiconductor etc. the computer wouldn't be possible!

ajpa123

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2003
Using many forms of technology including the internet and electronic trading to allow Globalization to integrate the poorer economies of the world into the global economy so that they can begin to catch up.

pcmodem

Golden Member
Feb 6, 2001
1. beer [from donlondon]
2. pizza [from donlondon]
3. sports cars
4. paid holidays/vacation
5. sports
6. music
7. laptops

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: TechBoyJK

I think by "staying true" you have to name ONE SINGLE item... make/model/serial number if you have it. Not a generalization of a type of technology. If you say "CPU" then youd have to name a SPECIFIC CPU that broke out of the mold and set the standard for everything to come...

Hence my "Space Shuttle" vote (ok ok... I know... WHICH SHUTTLE?!) But saying space shuttle is specific over "space ships"

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: AIWGuru
Depo Provera

Hmm I just noticed your name is AIWGuru and in your signature you dont even list a AIW? but rather a Hauppauge WinTV Go FM ... and not even a ATI video card?

Then again, my name isnt "Homer"

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Cave paintings. It allowed humans to convey ideas for the first time over generations. Thank you Discovery Channel

personally I'll go with the printing press. Books were to expensive and rare before its conception.