• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."
  • Community Question: What makes a good motherboard?

Question what is happening to my GPU ?

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
something really weird is going on my my PC - the GPU fans spin up when the PC goes into sleep mode.

I have a newly installed RX 590 on a newly installed W10, mounted in a Z87 mobo. Everything's fine, except that my GPU fans start spinning at 100% .. when my monitor goes to sleep. wut?
They will die down after a few seconds, AND it doesn't happen every time (only occasionally), and it can occasionally stop and then re-start and re-stop.
This did not happen on my previous build, GTX 770 on W7, nor for the brief time that i had the 590 on W7.

My GPu doesnt spin that hard evenwhen pushing quake champions at max rez + high quality. Otherwise the system works fine. Latest NV drivers. Latest AMD drivers, obv. What the heckelygook is happening?

Last edited:

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Sounds like a driver/driver-power problem. Are you using all automatic settings in Radeon Software?

I think this has been reported on AMD forums; I'll try to find the thread.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Sounds like a driver/driver-power problem. Are you using all automatic settings in Radeon Software?

I think this has been reported on AMD forums; I'll try to find the thread.
please do. And yes, i am in fact using all automatic settings.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Still looking. Thought I had it bookmarked, and I might, just not on the machine I'm using.

What do your Windows power saving settings look like? I'm wondering if the OS is powering down or limiting power to the card and thus its BIOS is kind of freaking out or something. Of course, and this is the more likely of the cause, is that the drivers are not playing nice with your power scheme. You said it doesn't happen every time, so I might have something to do with your defaults.

Are you using zero RPM or Radeon Chill? I've had some kind of odd issues when using those features. Not quite the same, but similar with AIO coolers.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Still looking. Thought I had it bookmarked, and I might, just not on the machine I'm using.

What do your Windows power saving settings look like? I'm wondering if the OS is powering down or limiting power to the card and thus its BIOS is kind of freaking out or something. Of course, and this is the more likely of the cause, is that the drivers are not playing nice with your power scheme. You said it doesn't happen every time, so I might have something to do with your defaults.

Are you using zero RPM or Radeon Chill? I've had some kind of odd issues when using those features. Not quite the same, but similar with AIO coolers.
im not using either zero rpm or chill, and my power settings are at max. i have no idea what the issue could be.

note that i wrote in "latest NV drivers" out of habit, im obviously on AMD and did a full clean sweep + safe mode when changing drivers.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Yea I figured that's what you meant. Turns out the thread I marked didn't really pertain to your exact issue, but rather a high power consumption when monitors go to sleep:

RX 580 8 GB high idle power after screen sleeps

So, my bad, though I may still be able to assist.

Since you've stated that the system is otherwise fine, and you aren't using special features, I suppose it can be tricky to see what the card is doing when the video is suspended. Fan behavior can be rather curious since it can be controlled by software or automatically by internal BIOS etc. Is this a reference or partner aftermarket card? Although it sounds like behavior I'd associate with reference, sometimes the BIOS on custom PCB can also produce rather odd results.

Also, you could try a manual fan curve temporarily or give Afterburner a quick install--just to see if that makes any difference.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Is this a reference or partner aftermarket card?
partner. XFX 590 Fatboy.
i guess ill just have to get into the habit of shutting down my pc. Also, the card comes with an annoying blue led that doesnt seem to have a way to be shut off, either.

ASK THE COMMUNITY