What is great googly moogly from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackHomer

Dec 20, 2002
Ok, i never post that often, but i need your guy's help. I just said Great Googly Moogly and i know i didnt come up with it. So where is it from if its even from anything?

Last edited by a moderator:

SportSC4

Golden Member
Aug 29, 2002
i never even saw this movie... and i somehow know.
Orlando Jones in the movie Evolution

jlarsson

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2001
From that snickers commercial ... where the guy paints the endzone with the Chefs instead of the Chiefs.

Is that it?

JackHomer

Dec 20, 2002
Originally posted by: jlarsson
From that snickers commercial ... where the guy paints the endzone with the Chefs instead of the Chiefs.

Is that it?

I remember that commercial, but dont remember that, although my friend now says that is what its from. I think you are the winner, i can finally sleep now.

AdamDuritz99

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2000

Is that it?

yah that's it, or at least how i know of great googly moogly. I use to have a bad habit saying it.

TRDGT

Mar 15, 2004
It's from Frank Zappa's "Don't Eat The Yellow Snow".
I believe it's off of his Apsostrophe album.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
Before Zappa is Howling Wolf in the early 60's. The expression probably started in the 50's though before either of these guys made it popular.

mpitts

Lifer
Jun 9, 2000

Is that it?

"That's great.. But who are the 'Chefs'"?

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: jjones
Before Zappa is Howling Wolf in the early 60's. The expression probably started in the 50's though before either of these guys made it popular.

I think this is the one.

badmouse

Platinum Member
Dec 3, 2003
I heard it growing up in the 50's. I recall it as an old music term (my dad was a jazz piano player). It took a while to find it, but here's a web reference
Great Googly Moogly!

This is an expression I have heard older blues artists use in songs. Somewhere in my voluminous collection is a Muddy Waters (or somebody like him) song where the phrase is used. I have been reviewing my collection to try and find the exact song, but it is going to take time.

Howlin' Wolf said it in one of the spoken parts of "Goin' Down Slow". Is that what you're thinking of? I hope this helps.

I suspect that Zappa's use of "Great Googly Moogly" was more directly inspired by "Stranded In The Jungle" by the Cadets and/or the Jayhawks (the two groups had competing Top 20 versions simultaneously in 1956). "Stranded In The Jungle" was always one of FZ's favorite songs, and he performed it onstage at least once (the band with Bianca Odin, Halloween 1976 NYC). "Stranded" also predates Howlin' Wolf's use of the phrase in "Going Down Slow," which was recorded in 1961.

I have that particular Howlin' Wolf song, and reviewed it. I am not sure if that is what I am thinking of though. I have the sound of some high energy blues baritone shouting it into the microphone in my head, and Mr. Burnett says it with a great deal of resignation. Perhaps I am mixing up his statement of the creed with the way Zappa says it. However, I have spent a lot of time with my blues CDs trying to find what is in my head, and have utterly failed, so perhaps my memory is faulty. In any event, my original post still stands and is vindicated, and I think the FAQ file should reflect the proper origins of Great Googly Moogly. Certainly Zappa and Burnett deserve no less.

I had also heard the "Great googly moogly" in a 50's blues record I just can't remember if it was a Howling Wolf or Muddy Waters, but I'm pretty sure it was one of them.
I believe that was "If I Never Get Well Again" by Howlin' Wolf. Obviously, Frank listened to that song when he was young and well. I wonder if he listened to it again when the lyrics described his own situation.

The title of this song (at least as it appears on the classic "rocking chair" LP) is actually "Going Down Slow." This recording is from 1961. Is there another version with a different title?
An earlier citation of the phrase "great googly moogly" is "Stranded In The Jungle," a simultaneous hit in 1956 in competing versions by the Cadets and the Jayhawks. Zappa played this song live in 1976, and also played it on the radio a time or two.

"Great googly moogly" is an expression that had been uttered by Willie Dixon in Howlin' Wolf's 1961 recording of "Going Down Slow". Another variant, "great googa mooga", was uttered by Prentice Moreland in the Cadet's 1956 recording of "Stranded In The Jungle", a song which FZ performed on the fall 1976 tour.
that's from www.arf.ru, maybe not the most reliable of sources.

A "googly-moogly" is one of those percussion instruments that makes a peculiar sound.

On a more recent note, it's what Ferocious Beast says in Maggie and the Ferocious Beast, if you happen to watch kids' TV.

mflacy

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2001
Stuart Scott: Well, the Lakers and the Sonics, at the forum, two of the favorites in '99.. so, who's it going to be in Y2K? Well, Shaq weighed in with his opinion - Boo-yah! Boo-yah! Boo-yah! That's right! Shaq-Daddy with 37 points - he sends an invitation to the Finals party, and it says "B.Y.O.B.": "Bring Youe Own Boo-yah!" The Lakers destroy the Sonics, 114-82. Chet?

Chet Harper: Thank you, Stuart! Latest talk is that David Robinson is over the hill. But in my book, you gotta get to Whitecastle before the weirdos show up! Tonight at the Alamodome, he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle! Sweet Sassy Molassey! Get out the checkbook and pay grandma for the rubdown as the Spurs beat the Heat, 86-79! Stuart!

Stuart Scott: The New Jersey Nets may be the team of the future, but tonight, against the Knicks, they were the team of.. right about.. now! The Folk Soul brother - Boo-yah! Jayson Williams with 22 rebounds, as the Nets win! Chet!

Chet Harper: Yeah! In action late last night, Sonics vs. Utah, John Stockton says, "Hey, look at me - I'm a little teapot, I'll run right up your dress!" But then, Olden Polynice says, "I'm not gonna pay a lot for this muffler!" But then Karl Malone says, "Sweet Sassy Molassey! You are gonna pay a lot! And the cost is gonna be prohibitive!" Jazz wins, 99-93! Stu-pot!

Stuart Scott: [ to Chet ] "Sweet Sassy Molassey"?

Chet Harper: Yeah. You like it? Don't steal it! [ to the camera ] Okay! Penguins need a win against the Bruins to get to the 500 mark. Yes, they do! But Penguin goalie Peter Skudra says, "Hey! Try not to shoot that puck up my pooper!" Yeah! But check out this guy - he says, "I'll shoot the puck anywhere I want. And if that happens to be in your pooper, so be it!" Stu-mongi!"

Stuart Scott: [ stunned ] We'll be right back! [ music fades commercial as Stuart looks over at Chet ] Hey, man, what are you doing there?

Chet Harper: [ confused ] What?

Stuart Scott: What was all that stuff about a puck up a guy's pooper?

Chet Harper: I'm just riffin', man. That's all.

Stuart Scott: Just riffin', huh? Come on, man, this is the Big Leagues, alright? This is Sportscenter. You can't do that stuff. Alright?

Chet Harper: [ not understanding ] You say "Boo-yah."

Stuart Scott: Yeah, I do. You just calm it down, alright? Just stick to sports.

Chet Harper: [ understanding ] Alright, I'm sorry. You're right, you're right. Sweet Sassy Molassey, you're right.

Stuart Scott: Yeah, we'll talk about that one later. [ the music picks up, as the show returns from commercial ] Welcome back! Let's go to the world of Women's Tennis, where Anna Kournikova was taking the court against the..

Chet Harper: [ interrupting ] Oh.. she's hot.. Oh.. I don't know about you, but my peenie just went: Broomp!

Stuart Scott: [ shocked and appalled ] Alright.. alright, uh.. let's just skip that one.. Let's try hockey! The Phoenix Coyotes are having their best year in history, and it's all due to the play of one Jeremy Roenig! Roenig shoots! He scores..!

Chet Harper: [ finishing ] ..and he celebrates! Like a slave who made it to the North! [singing] Old Man River!

Stuart Scott: You'd better watch what you're saying, man, alright?..

Chet Harper: [ riffing, holds his hand up for a high-five ] You'd better watch what you're saying!

Stuart Scott: [ to the camera ] Alright, we'll be right back. [ show goes to commercial, Stuart turns to Chet ] Alright, look, that's it. Listen, you're done, just get out of here, I'll do the rest of this myself.

Chet Harper: [ confused ] What? Sweet Sassy Molassey, I'm doing my best here.

Stuart Scott: [ mimicking ] Sweet Sassy Molassey.. [ angry ] Get him out of here before he says that again!

[ stagehand grabs Chet ]

Chet Harper: Alright, I'll go, I'll go, I'll go! But let me just say one thing: I've always wanted to be a sportcaster. Your clever metaphors and catchphrases escape me. Like a fat girl waving her trophy from the smell contest. But I want you to listen here! I'm not giving up! Alright? I'll be back. If it takes me two-hundred years, I'll be back! Lord Sweet Pappy Johnson with an erection, I will be back!

Stuart Scott: No, you won't.

Chet Harper: [ defeated ] Yeah, you're probably right!

[ Stagehand drags Chet out as Stuart completes Sportscenter solo for the evening ]

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
C'mon, all the parents know that's what the Ferocious Beast says on Maggie and the Ferocious Beast!

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: SportSC4
i never even saw this movie... and i somehow know.
Orlando Jones in the movie Evolution

No, he said "great google moogle."

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: TRDGT
It's from Frank Zappa's "Don't Eat The Yellow Snow".
I believe it's off of his Apsostrophe album.

That's the earliest known reference that I know of also. First thing I thought of.

Status
Not open for further replies.