What is going on? Im reading WAY too many people with idle freeze problems with 1st gen Ryzens

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
Well i sold my 1700 a few weeks ago for economics reasons, but i was having that problem that MANY people seen to be having lately and i got a 2200G as replacement and i dint got that problem since.

It happens like this: When the pc is on idle or very low load, it just freezes whiout blue screens or anything, you may be web browsing, hearing music or just starting up the computer. But it dosent happen with load, ever, that was the problem i was having with my 1700, i could leave a game open 10 hours, close it, go to te bathroom and when i return the pc dosent respond anymore and i had to reset.

What has me worried that is problem is awfully similar to what happens when you are trying OC with Ryzen Master and the vcore is just a bit low. I know of 3 other people outside this forum with this issue, and ive read a few others over the internet, they all have a 1st gen Ryzen, a few people on this forum mentioned instability in another thread as well.

Some people are blaming Windows 10 Updates but why is affecting 1st gen Ryzen this much? The best i can think off right now is to recomend change power plan to high performance to avoid CPU going intro the low states, im awaiting results.

Last edited:

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
My son uses my old 1700 every day for work. No problems ever, Or my 1800. You just had a bad memory setup or something. I sure don't read that a lot of people are having this problems.

Sensationalism ?

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
My son uses my old 1700 every day for work. No problems ever, Or my 1800. You just had a bad memory setup or something. I sure don't read that a lot of people are having this problems.

Sensationalism ?

In the last few days with my 1700 i even reverted back the memory to 2133 whiout XMP, still happened, memory issues are going to results in BSODs most likely, and i had zero problems with my 2200G since and for 5 days the only thing i changed was the CPU.
I have 2 support tickets with 1-year old pcs that we sold that are having the EXACT same issue, a 1200 and a 1400. A user on another forum just reported the exact same thing and it has a 1600X, and there was at least 2 other people with the similar or the exact same thing on the "1700 inestability" thread here...

This is odd, at least. And for a while i did not even bother to try to search for a solution as the problem only happens on idle it dosent stop you from doing stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: itsmydamnation

Markfw

May 16, 2002
In the last few days with my 1700 i even reverted back the memory to 2133 whiout XMP, still happened, memory issues are going to results in BSODs most likely, and i had zero problems with my 2200G since and for 5 days the only thing i changed was the CPU.
I have 2 support tickets with 1-year old pcs that we sold that are having the EXACT same issue, a 1200 and a 1400. A user on another forum just reported the exact same thing and it has a 1600X, and there was at least 2 other people with the similar or the exact same thing on the "1700 inestability" thread here...

This is odd, at least. And for a while i did not even bother to try to search for a solution as the problem only happens on idle it dosent stop you from doing stuff.
So 4 people have a problem that may be related to a ton of different isses, like even the PSU, but you say "too many people reporting the issue", where I personally know at leadt 10, and there are hundreds of of users here with no problem.

Sensationalism.

Reactions: Thibsie

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
So 4 people have a problem that may be related to a ton of different isses, like even the PSU, but you say "too many people reporting the issue", where I personally know at leadt 10, and there are hundreds of of users here with no problem.

Sensationalism.

So a 4 people are having the exact same strange issue ONLY on IDLE or low load state and no issues on heavy load, what is REALLY STRANGE to start with because it makes me nearly impossible to blame any hardware and most likely be a software thing and the only thing they have in common are 1st gen ryzens and Windows 10, and you automaticly say it is sensationalism... You cannot tell me it is a memory issue or PSU issue that only happens on idle, thats unlikely, minimum. Specially when i multiply that by 4. (btw is not 4 i just mentioned the cases that im sure).

What would be very helpfull to know if there is other people facing the same problem with diferent hardware, saying it is sensationalism or that there is 10 people whiout issues dosent help at all. I can also tell you there is like 400 whiout issues because thats around the number of 1st gen ryzen we sold and so far i only recived 2 complains. This most likely be a Windows thing but i need to know if there is more people facing this issue, so what i was hoping to see here is "hey i have a 2nd gen Ryzen/Intel and i have the same issue". Im not sure whats your problem with a user seeing a really weird issue asking about it.

Last edited:

Markfw

May 16, 2002
So a 4 people are having the exact same strange issue ONLY on IDLE or low load state and no issues on heavy load, what is REALLY STRANGE to start with because it makes me nearly impossible to blame any hardware and most likely be a software thing and the only thing they have in common are 1st gen ryzens and Windows 10, and you automaticly say it is sensationalism... You cannot tell me it is a memory issue or PSU issue that only happens on idle, thats unlikely, minimum. Specially when i multiply that by 4. (btw is not 4 i just mentioned the cases that im sure).

What would be very helpfull to know if there is other people facing the same problem with diferent hardware, saying it is sensationalism or that there is 10 people whiout issues dosent help at all. I can also tell you there is like 400 whiout issues because thats around the number of 1st gen ryzen we sold and so far i only recived 2 complains. This most likely be a Windows thing but i need to know if there is more people facing this issue, so what i was hoping to see here is "hey i have a 2nd gen Ryzen/Intel and i have the same issue". Im not sure whats your problem with a user seeing a really weird issue asking about it.
The issue is the way you put it. You don;t ask a question if someone else has the problem, you say "way too many people have a problem" in the thread title. Based on what I know, and what I have seen in this forum, that is sensationalism. I personally have several of the first gen Ryzens, and its not a problem with ANY of them. Yes, others may have some issue, but we have to take it one at a time.

Example, so far, 2 different people had a problem with Threadripper that looked the same. As it turns out, BOTH had the memory voltage set wrong. So knock off the sensationalism, and just ask a question.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
People on unraid forums seem to have this issue pretty often with first gen ryzen. There's a option in the bios or linux kernel to modify the sleep states that seems to fix it for most people but some claim it doesn't even always work then.

Reactions: killster1

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
You know, when people want to figure out why something is happening, they try to include information like CPU model, batch #, motherboard model, BIOS/UEFI version, OS+version, and other pertinent facts to help narrow down what might be the culprit.

It may be an issue with specific BIOS settings or specific combinations of hardware and/or software. It may also be pretty rare, given that I've built over a dozen Ryzen systems and no one using them has reported anything of this sort (and would in a heartbeat, if it was an issue).

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
Like IEC, I have not had the problem mention above in a 1800x build, 2700x build, 1600x build and 2600x build.

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
You know, when people want to figure out why something is happening, they try to include information like CPU model, batch #, motherboard model, BIOS/UEFI version, OS+version, and other pertinent facts to help narrow down what might be the culprit.

It may be an issue with specific BIOS settings or specific combinations of hardware and/or software. It may also be pretty rare, given that I've built over a dozen Ryzen systems and no one using them has reported anything of this sort (and would in a heartbeat, if it was an issue).

Remember that at least of my case this started to happen suddently whiout my changing bios settings or upgrading bios, to me this looks like a problem with C-states power, either caused by a degraded motherboard/cpu, agesa, Windows Power Management or a combination of several things, like windows power management - agesa version. I dont belive this issue is related to any other hardware.

This issue is wierd, in my 30 years ive heard something like this once, and it was one isolated case. The only thing this case have in common is 1st gen ryzens and Windows 10 on all cases.

In my case i used agesa 1.0.0.4 on my Gigabyte AB350-Gaming for like 6 months until this problem appeared, so it was about 6 months of me not touching anything, and i was not overclocking. And i havent got it since i have the 2200G, if that happens again ill report it.

The other cases ive mentioned are also using gigabyte boards, two A320 and a B450. Not sure about agesa versions.

What power mode is windows set to?
The AMD power plan, thats petty much default on all Ryzen systems unless the user changes it.
Right now im recomending to switch to high power to see if there is any improvement.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
This issue is wierd, in my 30 years ive heard something like this once, and it was one isolated case. The only thing this case have in common is 1st gen ryzens and Windows 10 on all cases.
When haswell first came out you heard this at least a few times and that's no 30 years ago,intel changed the power draw for sleep mode and some PSUs just considered that low load as no system being connected anymore,someone came up with the solution of putting a small constant load on the PSU like a little fan or something that would always draw enough power to keep the PSU from shutting down.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Remember that at least of my case this started to happen suddently whiout my changing bios settings or upgrading bios, to me this looks like a problem with C-states power, either caused by a degraded motherboard/cpu, agesa, Windows Power Management or a combination of several things, like windows power management - agesa version. I dont belive this issue is related to any other hardware.

In my case i used agesa 1.0.0.4 on my Gigabyte AB350-Gaming for like 6 months until this problem appeared, so it was about 6 months of me not touching anything, and i was not overclocking. And i havent got it since i have the 2200G, if that happens again ill report it.

The other cases ive mentioned are also using gigabyte boards, two A320 and a B450. Not sure about agesa versions.

The AMD power plan, thats petty much default on all Ryzen systems unless the user changes it.
Right now im recomending to switch to high power to see if there is any improvement.
Well, there is one thing in common, all Gigabyte boards, and NO 370's, all the lower tier boards. I don't use those. Also, what PSU's ? But the fact that it "just started happening points to cheap motherboards. I have not touched Gigabyte for years due to the problems I have had with them, since my DQ6 (it was good, the last of them)

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
But the fact that it "just started happening points to cheap motherboards.
My 1600X runs on a budget MSI B350 Mortar board running 24/7 for more than 1 year, no hiccups.

Last time I heard someone having similar problems - complete system freeze with no diagnostic trace left behind - it was an old Haswell system whose motherboard was (slowly) preparing to die. The power stage could no longer ensure proper voltage but surprisingly that was a bigger issue when CPU was under low load. Failures became more and more frequent, until the system could no longer reliably enter Windows. Motherboard change fixed the issue (dead board was a Z chipset, not a cheapo afaik).

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Well, there is one thing in common, all Gigabyte boards, and NO 370's, all the lower tier boards. I don't use those. Also, what PSU's ? But the fact that it "just started happening points to cheap motherboards. I have not touched Gigabyte for years due to the problems I have had with them, since my DQ6 (it was good, the last of them)
But this is a huge argument in favor of ryzen everything is so much cheaper...
Also why would you get an expensive mobo for a 1200?Especially if you don't plan on upgrading?

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Also why would you get an expensive mobo for a 1200?Especially if you don't plan on upgrading?
You would for a 1200, but a 1700 was close to the top tier chip in its time.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
I'll give you a huge argument in favor of Zen: even cheap motherboard failures are so rare that people barely complain on the forums.

Next time try to troll better, we need to sharpen them skillz for the summer launch.

tomatosummit

Mar 21, 2019
Just want to add my experiences to this where I had a series of ryzen cpus with similar problems. 1700, 2x 2700x and a 2400g. Installing windows on an nvme drive seemed to make a very regular idle crash was was mitigated by windows updates on the 2nd generation parts and I never ended up fully fixing on my 1700, although that was before the windows updates. I tried a full variety of disabling sleep states, mild over volting of cpu and memory, running below stock speeds, disabling turbo states etc before the update fixed it.
Sata ssd drives didn't have the problem.
One of the 2700x eventually failed entirely where it would have the same freeze symptom but when put under stress of only a matter of seconds of rendering or prime95.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
I'll give you a huge argument in favor of Zen: even cheap motherboard failures are so rare that people barely complain on the forums.

Next time try to troll better, we need to sharpen them skillz for the summer launch.
Nice story brah...
You are the one trolling because it can't even be any clearer that mark is the one that supposed that cheap motherboards are to blame.

Shlong

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2002
In my 2 years of owning the 1700 (besides testing overclocks) I had only one freeze or bsod.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Nice story brah...
You are the one trolling because it can't even be any clearer that mark is the one that supposed that cheap motherboards are to blame.
I said that in the specific case of using an 8 core 16 thread CPU with a cheap motherboard was the only thing in common with Shivansps's problems. I think that could also be true of others. Yes, the 1700 may now be $160, but I paid $400, what is was when it come out. To use that on a $54 motherboard makes no sense, those inexpensive motherboard were not made for 8 cores, maybe 4, or even 6.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
My friend has had issues with freezes with a 2200G under Linux on a B450 Tomahawk ATX board. Seems to do it under Mint, but not under MX or Ubuntu 18.10. Seems to be distinctly GPU-related, because if we're on a Skype call, I can see see / hear him after it "freezes", his UI is frozen, but interrupts and the USB and video-processing still happen.

That may be different than the freezes that you are experiencing.

I've had a few BSODs and simple sudden-reboots with my R5 1600 CPUs (early 1st-gen, probably have the "Ryzen bug"). Mostly seem due to overclocking though, as when I stopped overclocking, I had far fewer issues. The ASRock AB350M Pro4 mobos aren't super-robust either. (They have a huge problem with the 2200G, at full GPU load, because their Vsoc phases are so weak.)

Reactions: killster1

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
I said that in the specific case of using an 8 core 16 thread CPU with a cheap motherboard was the only thing in common with Shivansps's problems. I think that could also be true of others. Yes, the 1700 may now be $160, but I paid $400, what is was when it come out. To use that on a $54 motherboard makes no sense, those inexpensive motherboard were not made for 8 cores, maybe 4, or even 6.

I agree, but to be fair, maybe mobo makers should not list support with 8 cores or high TDP ones at least if they lack the VRM capability to make it work.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Just to throw some data in. Ordered a 1700 within 2 weeks of release. Running on a X370 Taichi. This is everything from a game system, encoding station, streaming station, and VM test bed. It is on 24/7 outside a month it was down due to construction at home and 2 days during a move. This is over the course of now 2 years. It spends a ridiculously large part of it's day idling (Windows is set to not to go to sleep). It has been a rock and has had zero lockup issues once I got to a stable bios memory wise in late April '17.

Reactions: lightmanek

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000

Nice story brah...

Enough of the "troll" accusations. You
two can carry on your debate without
resorting to this (which isn't allowed).

There will not be any additional warnings
without consequences.

AT Mod Usandthem