What is everyone favorite pc case?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
p50-05.jpg

Had this case for 4 years now, and it will probably be the last one I ever buy. I like the clean look, it never gets dusty inside, and cable management was very easy, although I only have one HDD, one SSD, and a smallish HD7950 graphics card.

Most of my gaming these days is light duty enough to be done by some of the great integrated solutions. I got my mom a NUC with Intel HD5000 last Christmas, and it surprises me how well it does in 1080p with light duty games. I have a 1440p monitor at home, and am satisfied with my 7950, but I think I will get to the point where I turn off eye candy to get the performance I need instead of upgrading video cards.

What case is that?

I don't see it on the Lian Li site

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
eventually, I think the best case would be the case that you won't even see! So build it into the desk... Get a desk that you really like, and design a computer compartment that'll house the components including a built in slot loading blu ray drive (if you want physical media and high quality movies). That way, you wouldn't ever need to see your case! The only thing you'll see if a monitor, keyboard and mouse. That would be the ultimate right there...

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
I have really fallen in love with my Fractal Design Define R4.

Extremely well-built, quality materials, thoughtful design, great cable management, AMAZINGLY quiet, surprisingly good airflow, and sleek, understated design (which is what I want)

KaRLiToS

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2010
The case I always wanted to have is a Little Devil V8

bbb2a143_05357c0c_ld-pc-v8-atx-hptx-black-red.jpeg

Or Case Labs Magnum STH10

LL

But instead I own a heavily modified Corsair Obsidian 800D that I will never sell.

seamadan

Aug 8, 2007
Caselabs guy myself. The level of detail is really quite incredible. I have a Magnum TH10 and I love it.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I just ordered an Antec GX500. It looked promising. It is kind of lightweight. I don't really need a case that can take radiators and has a fan controller but it was on sale and had free shipping. That is the same reason I purchased the Antec 302. The Antec 300 is on sale also; it only has USB2 ports but I have not found a real use for USB3 yet.

Antec 300
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811129042

Antec G500
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811129191

I have a Cooler Master 130 Elite Mini-ITX case also. It is small and lightweight, but I did not like the drive mounting options.

alyarb

Platinum Member
Jan 25, 2009
big server:
AIC RSC-4H

small server:
supermicro CSE-743T-665B

home storage server and/or storage htpc:
CHENBRO SR30169T2-250

desktop:
Lian Li PC-A05FN

Small Desktop or gaming htpc:
Lian Li Q19 or Silverstone ML07 or FTZ01

Last edited:

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
an updated p180 to take 140 mm fans / usb 3 / whatnot would be the best. nothing else has the tri-ply sides that are dead. way better than sheet metal sides with some deadening material applied to the inside.

Rezist

Jun 20, 2009
I really do like my R4, I think my next case will be a fractal node 804 or possibly nzxt source 340, if I need a 5.25" probably an R5.

jeffnc

Nov 29, 2014
Of the selection at my local Tiger Direct, I picked this one. I like it, although I'm still getting over the surprise of me buying orange. Pics in this thread.
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2410611

I like the air flow, pretty front fans, and overall design. I like the drive bays that don't need screws. I don't like case sides that are screwed in with a thumbscrew that comes out and has to be taken care of.

woodman1999

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2003
All this talk of the Fractal cases is making me regret my decision to not go for the R5. Told my wife I wanted the Phanteks Enthoo Pro for Christmas but am now questioning that decision!

My favorite case of all time was my TJ07. Had to ditch it when we had a baby...

xthetenth

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2014
I've got a Phanteks Enthoo Luxe and it's totally fantastic, so you're just fine. My only problem is that with the drives I'm running (currently five all running through the same hole in the tray) and my PSU's stupid bulky cables (this is the real problem, if my sata cables could bend a tiny bit I'd be totally fine overall) I wound up wishing I could have a few more millimeters on the back side. If I could get my 24 pin's cable to under half an inch and/or flex my sata cable more than a tiny bit up by the daisy chain of connectors I'd be totally fine though, so I don't blame the case as much as wish I'd been smart enough to upgrade my power supply at the same time.

Last edited:

inf1nity

Golden Member
Mar 12, 2013
I once saw a beautiful Aluminum finish case from Lian Li. Can't remember the name now but it looked amazing.

woodman1999

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2003
I've got a Phanteks Enthoo Luxe and it's totally fantastic, so you're just fine. My only problem is that with the drives I'm running (currently five all running through the same hole in the tray) and my PSU's stupid bulky cables (this is the real problem, if my sata cables could bend a tiny bit I'd be totally fine overall) I wound up wishing I could have a few more millimeters on the back side. If I could get my 24 pin's cable to under half an inch and/or flex my sata cable more than a tiny bit up by the daisy chain of connectors I'd be totally fine though, so I don't blame the case as much as wish I'd been smart enough to upgrade my power supply at the same time.

Which PSU are you using right now? Just asking to see if I should be doing a little more research on whether or not to get (ask for) a new PSU while I am at it.

xthetenth

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2014
Which PSU are you using right now? Just asking to see if I should be doing a little more research on whether or not to get (ask for) a new PSU while I am at it.

I'm using an XFX TS 550W (newegg link, but I think I have an older version, the cables are the same though). I've got two hard drives and two SSDs, and I routed all their SATA and power cables through the same tie. That tie is pretty full and required a bit of poking to get the cables flat enough for the case side but it wasn't bad and I think a bunch of it could be minimized with some forethought. The problem is the bit on that PSU the SATA connectors are on is really really stiff, and between one for the case lights/DVD, one for two platter drives and one for two SSDs, I was really limited in how I could use those cables. The SSD caddies on the back (I think the Pro has them) work great if you can get the cables to them cleanly, but I didn't have a cable I could flex easily so I wound up buying an extension SATA cable that let me get more flexibility and it works fine with two SSDs, so a PSU without super stiff cables should work great, and with only one SSD there was no problem. The other thing I had trouble with is that my CPU power cord was a bit short to run behind the tray, but again I think this is because my PSU's cables aren't all that great. They also make it a pain to tuck cables in good places and for me to get decent cable runs, and I'm pretty sure almost all of those problems would happen regardless of which case they were in, it's just that the SSD trays aren't that friendly to it.

I don't regret the case one bit, but I do regret the PSU a bit. For reference, bending the SATA power cables enough to hit adjacent bays requires more force than I'm comfortable with. Bendier cables would make everything painless.

I'll measure the CPU cable if you want and I remember when I get home. I just got an extension cable for it and was running it with the PSU cover off and the wire going over the graphics card in the short run.

EDIT: Just noticed the Pro only has one SSD caddy, I had no problems even with my goofy PSU cables with only one SSD mounted.

Never used one but just looked it up, and it's a really classy looking case.

It's gorgeous in person (I have the white Luxe). Looks and feels great. I'm having a fun time alternating red and green each day, and if I don't want the lights it's easy to turn them off.

Last edited: