what is double precision useful for?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
32 bit is single because it could be written as one word on a 32-bit processor.

Double performance doesn't impact games because the number format is specified in the code and pretty much all games choose single precision floats because of the performance difference. I think this is a good idea because the difference in quality of the calculations is very minimal but single precision allows the programmers to add a greater quantity of effects.

Also keep in mind that single has 24 bits of precision while monitors have 8 bits per channel or sometimes 10 bits. So the "errors" as you call them, or the rounding, still rarely impacts the final result.

I thought this was about position of 3D elements, rather than color

Wall Street

Mar 28, 2012
I thought this was about position of 3D elements, rather than color

Shaders are usually concerned with computing the color of pixels. The rasterizer and z-buffers calculate the positions of the 3D objects but are not what is ring discussed here.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
except only the voodoo1/2 cards had 16 bit w-buffer support as well and that is what unreal 1's glide renderer used.
Yes, I'd forgotten about the extended z buffer format.

they also used power VR's proprietary API iirc.
They used a lot of "metal APIs" but none had any visible depth advantages compared to running 32 bit Direct3D/OpenGL when it was later patched into the game.

and matrix path of neo and serious sam 2.
I take this is your way of retracting your statement "DX doesn't support wide open areas"?

games no longer use 16 bit formats for a reason, so what makes you think 24 bit formats will be used forever? just wondering
You don't need DP to represent >24bit Z buffers.

except if someone wants to replicate a 32 bit int z-buffer in software/compute, then 32 bit float precision wont be enough.:)
You appear to be confusing terms. Also the Voodoo's "FP16" depth doesn't need DP to represent it.

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012
games no longer use 16 bit formats for a reason, so what makes you think 24 bit formats will be used forever? just wondering:)

Did not say 24-bit, merely said there isn't a demand for 32-bit integer depth. In other words, 32-bit float depth is sufficient.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
You don't need DP to represent >24bit Z buffers.
You appear to be confusing terms. Also the Voodoo's "FP16" depth doesn't need DP to represent it.
I never said that the Voodoo's FP16 depth needed DP to represent it (whatever that means). But I dont see how one can replicate (i.e., simulate with 100% accuracy) a 32 bit fixed point z-buffer with 32 bit float precision.

I take this is your way of retracting your statement "DX doesn't support wide open areas"?
maybe, but 32 bit integer z-buffers are the best w-buffer substitute.