What is cas2?????

Renob

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
what is cas2 and how do i set my ram to cas2 Thanks. Oh i have a cell-2 566@850 solid with a Ge-Force 2 when i step it up to 892 it locks up I have a feeling that cas2 is a ram thing and it might help and what is turbo?????????????? if u see her tell her that i love her..

kind-of-blue

Nov 17, 1999
Cas 2 refers to memory timing. The faster the timing the faster the ram. The performance difference is debatable but many people agree that Cas 2 is 5%-10% faster than Cas 3.

To set your Cas rating go the BIOS chipset controls as soon as your system boots up. (do a search on the forum about BIOS). There you will find a setting for auto vs manual timings. Set it to manual and then cas 2 (sometimes this will appear as a choice between 2-2-2 and 3-3-3) then restart. If your system crahes unexpectedly then its possible your RAM will not work that setting, (your FSB may be too high) otherwise you can enjoy the unnoticable benefits of Cas 2.

Cas 2 rated ram is more tolerant of higher FSBs, and if your having probs at 892 it may be due to your RAM, but don't read too much into that as it could be several other things as well.

As for turbo, this is a feature that can seed up your CPU by 3% or so. At least on the old LX borads :)

Ulysses

Platinum Member
Jun 17, 2000
Yes. Generally performance is improved if you set your BIOS' RAM CAS latency parameters to CAS 2-2-2 instead of 3-3-3. PC100 or PC133 memory modules that are sold as CAS2 certified should run stably at a FSB of 100 or 133, respectively, with your BIOS RAM parameters set to CAS 2-2-2. If the modules are not so certified then they may not be stable at those FSB speeds at CAS2, but should be stable at settings of CAS 3-3-3.

The CAS parameters are like several critical settings used in overclocking - you monkey with them while watching your PC's performance with some type of benchmarking program (or watching to see if it will start up OK and be stable). Start by setting to CAS 2, which gives best performance, then raise the FSB until the PC's unstable. Then switch to CAS 3 and see if it is stable again. If it is, good, keep raising the FSB until something else causes instability. If it is not stabilized by going back to settings of CAS 3-3-3, then go back to CAS 2-2-2; something else is causing the instability besides the CAS setting. It's just like voltage settings, which you raise to increase stability if necessary, but leave as low as possible otherwise. Your BIOS default settings will be CAS 3-3-3 because, while slower, those settings insure stability. It gets complicated when you are trying to juggle several different parameters (I always keep good notes when I'm o'clocking a PC).

Benchmarks, at least synthetic ones, should show an improvement when going from CAS 3 to CAS 2, other things being equal.

The term 'turbo' sometimes refers to a button on the front of old PC's marked turbo that is usually a nonfunctional anachronism. In some BIOS it may refer to a set of parameter values which if selected may improve performance in certain situations compared to the default settings.

truffelsmoel

Jan 26, 2000
I have a Via chipset and you can set the memory to medium, fast, turbo ...
Are you talking about the same thing?

Davy