What is best stradegy for Terrans?

Passions

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2000
I build like 9/10 scv's first, then I build a supply depot, and then a barrack....then more scv's. I usually end up dying. I only build tons of marines and only a few tanks, wraiths, etc. Should I rely more on those than the marines? What is good stradegy....?

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
Bob,

The best strategy is to just practice alot, and you figure out the best ways to play. If you want some tips, I'll try to help you out - but I haven't played StarCraft in ages.

I usually build max scv's, build a supply depot while I'm building my barracks, build some marines, fill up a couple bunkers.. all the while I build my engineering bay and refineries, then I build my factory and build some tanks to put on the defense.. then I decide if I play more offensively or defensively, and build multiple structures if I am playing more offensively (to pump out armies of guys).

If you're rushing, don't bother with defense, build a few barracks right away and keep a good cashflow, then just whoop some arse.

Have fun.

-RSI

PS: That was... and still is, my favorite game.

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
Also, when you are playing, make sure to use all the shortcuts like pressing "a" to attack and attack move (press "a" then click), pressing space-bar to go to the current event, etc.

I use attack-move the most.. it's very useful. Also, when you have masses of guys, group them using CTRL-# to make up to 10 groups of 12 guys (12 is max selection I believe).

-RSI

Impact55

Platinum Member
Feb 16, 2000
I don't play anymore but I used to be one of the top SC Players.. The game is all about macro ( lots of peons + expansion) Also in 1v1 vs Protoss you want ghosts/tanks/goliaths/vultures (mines) , and vs terran basically same thing except wraiths, and vs zerg its mainly marines, some siege tanks, + science vessels.
I think my build used to be 8 scvs/depot/2 scv/barracks/barracks (making tons of scvs in the process, and branching out to tons of barracks or teching to factory/starport)
EDIT: I have won 200 dollars of Starcraft:) I was in the TOp 128 PGL also...

Makanani

Jan 31, 2000
Wow, I haven't played SC in a long time, but if i were you I'd build bunkers to house those marines. I also keep an scv behind them to repair them quickly. Turrets are a nice addition as well to protect the base from any incoming air attacks. If i remember correctly, I'd place 3 marines and 1 firebat inside the bunker, place a turret right behind it, and a tank on the side. Plus UPGRADES are important as well. But for me Team Protoss is the way to go! :)

Francodman

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 1999
You need to start with a lot of suv's, try to build 2 command centers, one for gas and one for crystal, establish defense (arial and terrestrial) Goliaths are good against air, and ghosts are nice. Give your troops in the bunker the maximum amount of stim packs b4 they enter the bunker.

Franco

0beron

Jun 1, 2000
Hmmm... don't know much about terrans (since Protoss kick booty so hard (long game especially)) but if terrans are annoying, it's because of stim packed marines w/ medics gaurding siege tanks. And put bunkers up near your CC early.

Oh, and you should look at an opponents win/loss ratio to see if you are playing newbies. That way you can decide if you want to climb the tech tree faster (if you are playing newbies). I'd hold off on Wraiths until game has gone on for a while, they are slow to build and kind of weak if not cloaked (and a well placed Psionic Storm just tears through those babies like nobody's business).

judgejudy

Nov 15, 1999
Okay, I'm a Terran expert...

It really depends on what other race you're playing and what type of map you're playing (ie. unlimited resources, large or small map)

For example if you're playing another terran, it's not easy for another terran to rush you, so you can build for tanks, by starting with a vespian gas building, barracks, and than tanks. If you're going against zerg, you wanna build up lots of marines till you can find out what the enemy is doing and then react accordingly, protoss, you want a mix of firebats and marines (more firebats) to protect you from a zealot rush. After that, tanks are the best weapon that Terran has, so go tanks. Just do whatever counters your enemy and always keep a tab on what they're doing.

Ne0

Golden Member
Nov 4, 1999
When Im terran I just go Max Marines/Medics w/ stimpack upgrades & 6 tanks.. 12 wraiths for air backup.. Im best with zerg though. :p

erikiksaz

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 1999
i watch some of my friends play. they start out with scv's, then they build supply depos around the perimeter of their base, and have bunkers, then seige tanks behind them. and of course the scv's repair the whole wall of defense. the enemy has to first destroy the wall before they get to the *real defense. now this doesn't work if they have flight early in the game...

Imaginer

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
For a wall of defense since I am learning, I use bunkers and missle turrets. alternating would be nice. And they would be placed at possible entrances to a base. Filled inside are marines and outside would be vultures and marines. If possible, wraths and goliaths and firebats for the upclose and personal.

Then a few scvs here and there to repair the vultures and structures. Medics are good too.

0beron

Jun 1, 2000
Yup, it's always annoying when terrans block off thier main entrance with supply depots, bunkers, turrets, tanks and a flying building as a gate. But, then again don't completely focus on this setup cuz a little reaver drop can just ruin your day! ;)

prodigy

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< Yup, it's always annoying when terrans block off thier main entrance with supply depots, bunkers, turrets, tanks and a flying building as a gate. But, then again don't completely focus on this setup cuz a little reaver drop can just ruin your day! >>

Two words: &quot;Disruption Web&quot; ;)

helloedchen

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2000
www.gideontech.com
7scv go barrack, 8th go depot. Then go from there...you can pump out 5 marines to rush someone using this order. A good toss player will possibly have around 2 zealots by now, or 2 cannons. Zerg will have 6 zerglings and 1 sunken, or 3 sunkens, or nothing at all and go for the next hatchery. I rarely play 1v1 games, but in team games this combo with your teammate is pretty devastating :p

Redwingsguy

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2000
The only good things about terrans are the seige tanks, just get to a point where you can hold them off inside the base, then just keep sening backup and move the line up till you've crushed them(remember air suuport too), but I prefer the protoss too!

GammaRayX

Oct 11, 1999
For some reason, most of my games tend to be long drawn out games. And for that, nothing beats the Protoss. Correction, Protoss and whatever other race is in the game.

with Protoss: Dark Archon, 2 Arbiters.
Move arbiter near least guarded Drone/SCV, use Recall to get Dark Archon near Drone or SCV. Mind Control, then Recall the newly acquired Drone/SCV back to base.

with Terrans: Just line up the Seige Tanks, and start wiping out sections of the base.

DarkManX

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
dam I loved that game, But since a format I lost it :( loved playing online. Anyone wanna sell me a copy?

marketsons1985

Platinum Member
Apr 15, 2000
Sorry bobby, I can't help you there, I don't use terran at all. I use Protoss most of the time, and zerg the rest of the time. I'll try to find someone that can help, and lyk.

Sephiroth_IX

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 1999
If you are Terran, first you need to worry about cashflow. Get 7 SCVs all on crystals. Then build a supply depot. Then get a couple more SCVs then a barracks. Then, build two bunkers.

After this, get your gasflow going, and make sure you have PLENTY of resources.

Make seige tanks and put those little mech guys with them. Then take over everyone :)

ltk007

Banned
Feb 24, 2000
I suck. I always think I am gonna win, then I screw it up. I am only good at V-tec and defend the temple, which is pretty pathetic.

Imaginer

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Hey, why not have an AnandTech StarCraft Tournament to test who has the best stradegy?

prodigy

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
In my opinion Terran is the best race if you're good at micromanaging, and lots of fast clicking.
The build order should be 7th scv barracks, 8th depot, 2 more scvs. barracks and depot will finish at the same time, and you should have enough money to make 1 scv, 1 marine and start building a bunker. If you wait any longer and a zerg 5 pool rushes (spawning pool on 5th drone) you will be set back a lot.

No matter what you build as a Toss or Zerg, Terran has the perfect counter. Is your toss opponent Zealot rushing in the beginning? (can be seen by 2 or 3 gateways early before cybernetics core), ever seen stimpacked firebats tear through zealots. If they go heavy dragoon, marines + tanks will win. Goliaths + Cloaked wraith will beat Carriers. Against protoss it's always advised you go Heavy Metal (at least 4 factories, and all you make is tanks + goliaths), unless they go heavy zealots in that case you make firebats. Some people say to use emp shockwave on high templars, but I prefer to irradiate them.

Against zerg, Terran is even better. Tanks + marines vs hydralisk. firebats vs zergling + defiler. goliath vs guardian, marines vs mutalisks. Don't worry about ultralisks, no one makes those.

The most important thing is to always know what your opponent is doing and just make the counter for it. If you're ever on battle.net and want to play a game with or against me, my handle is prodigy.69 (don't forget the &quot;.&quot;) I usually play broodwar, but i'll play a game of vanilla sc.