What is best fix for XBox Kinect fan failure?

Jul 17, 2011
The fan at the back of the Kinect unit has died.

A friend said to use any fan powered by an external USB source.

But what about the two other wires (of the four wires total, first two wires being Plus and Minus Vcc) on the bad fan, RPM and TEMP?

If I put an external fan, powered externally into the same fan opening on the Kinect unit, wont the Kinect support fail to get RPM/TEMP data and halt operation?

If I get and OEM Kinect fan and supplement the power from an external source how will the Kinect throttle the cooling fan up or down as needed for cooling, if it doesn have control over the supply voltage?

Another friend said just mount a 4" sqaure boxer fan behind the Kinect unit to push cool air thru the vent ports? Even so, won't I still have to replace OEM fan so correct/needed data is sent to motherboard concerning overheating etc?

One more thing, why does the Kinect unit generate so much heat? there are four sets of cooling fins running the length (10"+) of the Kinect unit? That's a LOT of sq inch cooling area!

Thanks in advance for any input/insight given

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2011
quikah, the "FOUR" refers to the amount of WIRES connected to the OEM fan, two being voltage supply( + and - Vcc) and the other two MP data sent back to motherboard!

I corrected original post so as not to be confusing . . . thanks quikah!

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
quikah, the "FOUR" refers to the amount of WIRES connected to the OEM fan, two being voltage supply( + and - Vcc) and the other two MP data sent back to motherboard!

I corrected original post so as not to be confusing . . . thanks quikah!

Oh sorry, actually I misread your post, you said 4 cooling fins, read it as fans.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
You could accept that even God hates the Kinnect and has smote yours, or you could just go on Ebay and find one for $20-40. Seems much easier than breaking it down.. unless you're into that.